The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Things Are Slowing Down...?

A place to talk about our community
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ThatOneFox »

inb4pewdiepie

(sorry but i dont want that kind of audience here)
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
papaya

Post by papaya »

why not? they're the perfect demographic for this kind of game. Casual, between the ages of 12-15, willing to talk a lot and play a lot, common interest...
UC101

Post by UC101 »

papaya wrote:could find some popular youtuber willing to give it a go
maybe the yogscast or markiplier?
We are anomalous.
We are region.
Forgive and forget.
Expecto patronum.
:?:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Extra Credits occasionally does episodes about obscure games a lot of people haven't played, so I guess that's something... But their audience is a lot more broad than ours, so that may not net us such great results either...
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

UC101 wrote:maybe the yogscast. or markiplier?
dont mention those two in the same sentence please
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
papaya

Post by papaya »

Miniike wrote:dont mention those two in the same sentence please

yeah
there's no way markiplier is as og as yogscast
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

Well, you all bring up some good points.
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
UC101

Post by UC101 »

I know they are different and have VERY different fan bases, but they are massive and getting them to do something like this would be great for the game!
We are anomalous.
We are region.
Forgive and forget.
Expecto patronum.
:?:
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

Is X still around?
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

Baufritz wrote:Is X still around?
Not sure what your definition of around is, but yes.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Baufritz wrote:Is X still around?
Yes, though he doesn't get nearly as much traffic.
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

papaya wrote:why not? they're the perfect demographic for this kind of game. Casual, between the ages of 12-15, willing to talk a lot and play a lot, common interest...
tbh its not just his fans just most of the youtube community. I mean even if we had the info plain as day there'd still be loads of threads saying "WHY DOESN'T MULTIPLAYER WORK" and "HOW DO I MAKE AN ACCOUNT".
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
papaya

Post by papaya »

iirc a similar issue existed on atmosphir too

too bad there would be no moderators to sort it out, huh?
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Remember what happened the first time X got on atmosphir? He made a terrible looking level, and then made a video about it and so all his viewers though that was an example of a great level and hated the good designers (like frodo and munchy) for posting about why it sucked.
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Entity wrote:Remember what happened the first time X got on atmosphir? He made a terrible looking level, and then made a video about it and so all his viewers though that was an example of a great level and hated the good designers (like frodo and munchy) for posting about why it sucked.
That was amazing
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Oh God yes, YouTube should be avoided for advertising purposes by any means necessary. That would run way too much risk of getting swarmed by jerks. Besides, YouTube is about videos in general and not just gaming videos, so it's probably too broad of a website to be the best choice either way.
papaya

Post by papaya »

yeah lets ignore the fact that the vast majority of atmosphir users originally found out about the game from two youtubers, chris pirillo and X

do you want more users or not? You can't say "yeah I want more users but I don't want users who also like x y and z". We aren't able to be picky with who our new audience is.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

papaya wrote:yeah lets ignore the fact that the vast majority of atmosphir users originally found out about the game from two youtubers, chris pirillo and X

do you want more users or not? You can't say "yeah I want more users but I don't want users who also like x y and z". We aren't able to be picky with who our new audience is.
And I suppose we should ALSO ignore the extremely negative side effects in spite of the fact that nobody wants and them and most people would be turned off by them. Yeah, good call!
StreetLights wrote:tbh its not just his fans just most of the youtube community. I mean even if we had the info plain as day there'd still be loads of threads saying "WHY DOESN'T MULTIPLAYER WORK" and "HOW DO I MAKE AN ACCOUNT".
Entity wrote:Remember what happened the first time X got on atmosphir? He made a terrible looking level, and then made a video about it and so all his viewers though that was an example of a great level and hated the good designers (like frodo and munchy) for posting about why it sucked.
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

So, what ideal community do you have in mind, and how do you plan on reaching out to them?

Also I thought X's levels were pretty good. ._.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I am of the mind that garnering interest should be along side the intent to capture an audience that we feel is desirable but neither should control the other. The forum rules can be adapted and enforced to filter to those who are disrespectful or rude whilst allowing those who aren't, in. Does that make sense?

For example, if you are hiring a position. You don't stop each individual at the door, interview them and then turn them away if you think the next person might be slightly better. You allow a wide variety of people in, garner an impression of each, then compare and contrast to make your best decision. Tolling the entrance gate gives you very little perspective of all people available.

We should reach out to a variety of areas, those who are interested will stay and those who are interested, but are being rude or disruptive can be handled after we observe this behaviour, not their character in the abstract.