The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Things Are Slowing Down...?

A place to talk about our community
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Above all else, I think the best way to go about it would be to target sites that are specifically targeted at people like us who are gamers, and not places like YouTube where it could get drowned out by other stuff that's completely unrelated. At the very least, if we DO target a site like that, it should be at a later point down the road, once other efforts have actually been put into motion, if you see what I'm saying.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
papaya

Post by papaya »

I was suggesting asking people who run gaming channels on youtube to play it. That way, the only people who would see it would be gamers anyway, even though it's on youtube.
ElectroYoshi wrote:And I suppose we should ALSO ignore the extremely negative side effects in spite of the fact that nobody wants and them and most people would be turned off by them. Yeah, good call!
asking questions and false perceptions are 'extremely negative'? Both can easily be fixed- one by having the information as clear as possible and two by making some damn fine levels yourself and having whoever curates the atmosphir front page to stick them on as 'levels of the day'
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
papaya

Post by papaya »

what?
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

Alright, let me make an actually thoughtful post now.

I can understand how with the small team we have now, it's easy to feel intimidated by the idea of dealing with that type of audience, seeing as how they have a reputation of being immature and uncontrollable. Unfortunately, there's no real way to keep people like that away. They're a part of every online community, including Atmosphir.

This revival project is moving at a very slow rate of progress that we can't afford to hinder any further. If we want to gain ground and get more players, we have no room to be picky.

To be honest, though, I'm not even sure if we're ready to handle any sort of community. Most of our staff are busy doing life related things, and our development team is in shambles. We don't even have the legal rights to the game to be able to advertise on a place like Youtube anyway. At this point, I think we need to focus more on obtaining resources and a more reliable staff before we bite off more than we can chew.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Rabbidfan236 wrote:Alright, let me make an actually thoughtful post now.

I can understand how with the small team we have now, it's easy to feel intimidated by the idea of dealing with that type of audience, seeing as how they have a reputation of being immature and uncontrollable. Unfortunately, there's no real way to keep people like that away. They're a part of every online community, including Atmosphir.
True. And even if they were to overflow the forum it's not like the mods couldn't do anything. For some reason I just ignored that.

And of course, pick up development a bit.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

I'll be honest with you guys, I haven't worked on the server in months. I could have possibly squeezed time in (although now I'm getting even more hours at my job, and I'm busier than ever), but I just don't have the motivation.

Design contests pretty much died because only two people were entering them, and there's no point in doing LOTW when it's just two designers getting them every single week. Getting multiplayer might spark a little bit of a revival, but how can we know for sure? It would be a hours of work, and that would be time taken away from my paying job and heavy school load.

If I was being paid to work on it two hours a day or something I would be more than happy to devote my time. But it's extremely unglamorous, difficult, grinding work.

I can only speak for myself though, I don't know what Nin or Kroltan have been up to (IIRC they were actually working on something recently? Not sure.)
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

That is entirely understandable, Entity -- When you are balancing obligations, a paying job and then attempting to stay active on an entirely voluntary project, it is pretty obvious, under tight deadlines or lack of motivation which one would be annexed first from a schedule. I entirely understand!

I think, if we were to bring in a larger audience, and sort out any plausible legal hurdles that would come with a donation pot for those developing and probably a bit of change back towards Wowfun for hosting costs-- that sounds entirely reasonable!
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Here's something I've been thinking about:

All (or at least most) of us are members of at least one other gaming-related forum, and we've been talking about "advertising" the game on there. What's stopping us from actually doing that? I'm actually planning on doing that on a Mario Kart forum when I get home, so why not?
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Ah, alright :P I am a pretty minor member on this other forum-- perhaps I will post about Atmosphir over there and hope that it doesn't come off as spam or just get washed away in the sea of other links! Haha, we shall see how this goes :P
RetroBandit
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by RetroBandit »

That looks like a plan :)
I think I am flying?
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Can't promise this'll get us a huge net gain, but I just finished posting about the game on that MK forum.