The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Who Want To Create Levels With Focus On Virtual Reality?.

A place to talk about our community
MREPETTO

Who Want To Create Levels With Focus On Virtual Reality?.

Post by MREPETTO »

Hey guys!

We are approaching our first milestone with Voxelus, that is: having a Unity 4.6 release version of the good'ol Atmosphir working. Its completely stand alone and has quite some errors in the character animations due to the newer mechanim features of Unity 4.6 and the lack of compatibility of the previous Atmosphir. We will try to fix as many as possible but we lost a lot of source material or its broken so it might not be possible.

So what do we need. Good levels and content for the new version, hey the old levels might work but they need to be in Draft mode since we don't have a server now and the new server will not support current map format (because it will be different as in supporting procedural never ending terrain with biomes :D )

So if any of you are interested in bringing old levels into this new project, they will be showcased in VR and used as demo and testing while we develop Voxelus. Also if you are up to building new levels with VR focus, very edgy, using moving platforms for relaxed rides, lot of stuff in the distance... VR experiences etc. Please let me know, we would love to have you helping out.

What we will give you. Early access to everything we roll out for now. Tshirts later on and when available a chance to win Oculus rifts!

Cheers,
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ThatOneFox »

I would happily design some first person horror levels for you. People have noted my use of lighting and atmosphere (no pun intended) when creating environments.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
papaya

Post by papaya »

well I have way too much free time on my hands so I could definitely help out. I have made a few levels that you could say were 'cinematic' on the old atmosphir, so would translate perfectly to a vr game
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

That sounds like a fantastic opportunity, I would love to contribute in any way possible :) Especially if that means exploring the gaming possibilities of the very different world of VR, I think that this level creation idea hasn't been too heavily explored in VR and I would love to be a part of it!
MREPETTO

Post by MREPETTO »

Awesome guys, as soon as the build is ready I will share it :) Old atmosphir levels if you have them in draft are also welcomed, I know several can be played in First Person Mode.
RetroBandit
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by RetroBandit »

Is it too late for me to join this wagon? I would really like to know that I contributed to the development of voxelus for if much else than bragging rights. If it is okay with you can I try my hand at this. I don't have a oculus rift but my computer can run atmosphir at far render distance and have been playing atmosphir for quite a while and when I put my mind to it I can create some prety sweet lookin levels.

This brings me back to the days when I recreated the entirety of platformed world 6 by okay sameri in stratosphir from only a video. I think I did that with lindens sandcastle island too.

Yeah back to the topic I would love to be a part of this.
I think I am flying?
nonic5

Post by nonic5 »

It's been 3 years or so since i've touched Atmosphir, but if it's to help, I'll try my hand at this.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Ugh I seriously need to get an oculus rift. This looks absolutely amazing though!! The website for voxelus looks incredible as well.
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
matthewbny

Post by matthewbny »

MREPETTO wrote:(because it will be different as in supporting procedural never ending terrain with biomes :D )
I am in, able to design quest and adventure levels but I can also do scary levels.

Also suggesting you go to kickstarter.com and showcase your project to get some funding. It works like this, and you can give away Oculus Rifts as prizes to people who donate over a certain amount.

However I highly suggest being able to play without the Oculus Rifts. It would severely limit the audience it could reach. See the potential that Project Spark, Minecraft and the Little Big Planet franchise have garnered. Imagine how exponentially that audience would shrink if they have to buy a piece of equipment to play it. Also, I highly suggest some sort of offline capability, like a built in campaign, just in case someone doesn't have working internet.
Don't you just hate when someone cuts you off in the middle of a sente
MREPETTO

Post by MREPETTO »

You are all welcome!
totaldile

Post by totaldile »

I was always better with the visuals side, which I imagine would translate well here, so if you need any extra help I'm definitely available. To make things better, I'm on break until the end of January, so I've got all the free time in the world.

I'm not sure about scary levels, but I think I could do well in dystopian, foresty, mountainy etc levels. I'm also good with the smaller details, so hopefully that'd be useful ^-^;;.
Toa Lapaka

Post by Toa Lapaka »

Wow, looks like I chose the perfect time to check up on the old forum. I'd love to help in any way possible.
UC101

Post by UC101 »

I'd love to help build maps and such if I got the chance!

EDIT: btw, I love the new site. :D
We are anomalous.
We are region.
Forgive and forget.
Expecto patronum.
:?:
Anthemion

Post by Anthemion »

Count me in! I don't build much, but I can always tinker around with stuff and see where they go.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Also if you are going to give this newer version to us to design with, please remove the capacity bar.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I don't know, whilst I can entirely understand from a designing perspective -- especially when atempting to use particularly capacity costly prop. However, I think from a technical side it kind of needs to exist to protect the game from being pushed to the point of crashing in design mode or people uploading ridiculously packed levels to the browser (or its descendent in the new game)
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Computers have moved on since 2011 when atmosphir was active.
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

Phantomboy wrote:I don't know, whilst I can entirely understand from a designing perspective -- especially when atempting to use particularly capacity costly prop. However, I think from a technical side it kind of needs to exist to protect the game from being pushed to the point of crashing in design mode or people uploading ridiculously packed levels to the browser (or its descendent in the new game)
StreetLights wrote:Computers have moved on since 2011 when atmosphir was active.
This.
Also, I think if the designer tests his level thoroughly, he/she will notice if the level's too much for Atmosphir to handle.

My levels usually take up about 30 to 50% of the capacity bar, so I won't complain though :P
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Perhaps so, and I don't mean to spin things off topic here, speaking hypothetically of how the finished project will behave. Maybe you are both right and the concept of a capacity bar will be removed all together, perhaps it will be rebalanced -- who knows yet :)

Regardless, I do look forward to what specific, game creation situations can exist around virtual reality :)
nonic5

Post by nonic5 »

Instead of a capacity bar, just have a capacity level. So, instead of limiting how much we can but, it just puts how much we can have on a scale. So a level might have a Capacity level of 150%, and you can determine whether or not your computer can handle such a thing.

There is a capacity bar for a reason, and even with our newer computers, we still need a way to know if something is just too much.