The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

My "6000th Post" [discussion On Some Core Omb Posting Elements]

A place to talk about our community
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ThatOneFox »

papaya wrote:only way ratings are gonna work in htis forum is if they're all positive ratings i.e no dumb ratings
Well it might actually clean up the forums, as instead of certain users going on full rants and managing somehow to derail pigflags on how much their jimmies were rustled, maybe instead they'd be able to rate it "dumb" and carry on.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Bubble

Post by Bubble »

if there were any "non-useful/dumb/bad" options for posts, papaya'd get downvoted to shit and i could easily flag any post made by certain people going "LOL TACOS XDDDDDDD !!!!!! IM SO FUNNY AND EDGY LOL" as dumb, but then get shat on by a moderator for it.

honestly i dont know why you're trying to bring innovation to a forum as dead as this. theres only like 10 people that use it, not including me. waste of time, and its going to be misused and then banned (unless its mindless praise. asspats for the asspat god)
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Well sitting around doing nothing to the site isn't gonna make it any more active is it?
papaya

Post by papaya »

neither is knowing that popular user papaya was agreed with on 34% of his posts
StreetLights wrote:Well it might actually clean up the forums, as instead of certain users going on full rants and managing somehow to derail pigflags on how much their jimmies were rustled, maybe instead they'd be able to rate it "dumb" and carry on.
also the times when people DO overreact are some of the best parts of this forsaken forum
Bubble

Post by Bubble »

theres literally no draw to this site, and it eludes me why anyone thinks there is. no one wants to know about some indie flop from 2010, and as much as a site like this would be "cool" to have, theres no reason to have it. the discussion here runs in a circle, and there's not much TO discuss beyond the usual linux/anime garbage. may as well just add each other on skype/steam at this point, and it filters the people just posting LOLRANDOMEDGE. let the dead horse sleep, please
papaya

Post by papaya »

honestly the best bet u guys have here of getting a bigger community is hoping that voxelus 2.0 is something that everyone here enjoys and loads of people online enjoy

cus without any selling point (the only one being atmosphir, which, again, is wasted) we simply arent going to get any new users. no amount of post counts and ratings will fix that
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

StreetLights wrote:I would simply rate electro's post "agree", but since such a system doesnt exist, i would have to 'artificially boost my post count' in order to state my agreement.
Firstly, I feel that is kind of cutting short my argument, Street. In the presence of actual discussions, not forum games, but actual debate and discussions, I wouldn't call it an artificial increase in post. What I was highlighting was forum games, in the forum games section, which specifically operate on posting a single number.

In terms of a post rating system, I am not sure the Xenforo allows you to even make a submission "thumbs up/down" system and attach it to individual posts, then calculate the average of those results, then display the results beneath the user avatar. I definitely could be wrong, but I am not sure how we would set up that system.
Maybe if we are able to install add-ons, we could purchase something like this which I feel is along the lines as what you want.

I kinda dislike how this whole discussion has been so clear-cut and kind of negative. I get that you are displeased, I just wish I knew what to offer.
ZeroSwordsMaster
Editorial Staff

Post by ZeroSwordsMaster »

Yeah, without purchasing addons (which it seems as though we can't due to outdated Xenforo or something along those lines, forgot the exact status), I imagine it's quite difficult to add said system. Since it seems as though we cannot get addons without costs we cannot afford (again, don't remember the exact situation), our other best bet would be modding it in by hand which can be tedious and potentially difficult/confusing/prone to errors depending on the accessibility of the code.

As far as what Bubble and Papaya said, I agree in most respects. We definitely need to repurpose the forums and/or website as a whole, since our current purpose is bringing in no users and, due to roadblocks in the revival of Atmosphir, has come to a standstill in terms of actual discussion pertaining to the purpose of the forums. It might be difficult trying to figure out what this new purpose would be though; finding a niche that would still pertain to the name "OneMoreBlock" might be difficult. Voxelus 2.0 could be a stepping stone, but that's assuming it gets finished before community activity just burns out entirely, not to mention the fact that Voxelus 2.0 will probably have its own forums anyway.
No amount of innovative backend will solve the issue of our very, very specific niche; the purpose of the website would have to be redone to bring in new members. We've barely had a handful of active new members join that weren't part of the hold community in the past half a year or so. It's a bit of a negative outlook, but at the same time we need to find a solution.
The community is hardly active except for in Pigflags and occasionally in TT and GG. The inactivity is a big reason I usually frequent the skype group instead.
Back to the rating system, it would be a very cool feature that would be hella rad but hella difficult to implement.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Also webm support would be nice.
Lemon
Editorial Staff

Post by Lemon »

Bubble wrote:theres literally no draw to this site, and it eludes me why anyone thinks there is. no one wants to know about some indie flop from 2010, and as much as a site like this would be "cool" to have, theres no reason to have it. the discussion here runs in a circle, and there's not much TO discuss beyond the usual linux/anime garbage. may as well just add each other on skype/steam at this point, and it filters the people just posting LOLRANDOMEDGE. let the dead horse sleep, please
Seconded. I love all of you guys/gals, but I have no interest in being here because there is really no draw to this website. It's a desolate community without a unified purpose.
papaya wrote:honestly the best bet u guys have here of getting a bigger community is hoping that voxelus 2.0 is something that everyone here enjoys and loads of people online enjoy
And even this, we have heard nothing of in several more months than expected. I don't know whether to support the new game, or simply let that dream rest as well.
Bad At Gravity
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Bad At Gravity »

Voxelus sounds good, but I don't have VR.
░█▀▀█ ─█▀▀█ ░█──░█ ░█▀▀█───
░█▄▄▀ ░█▄▄█ ░█░█░█ ░█▄▄▀───
░█─░█ ░█─░█ ░█▄▀▄█ ░█─░█───
Lemon
Editorial Staff

Post by Lemon »

Connormon99 wrote:Voxelus sounds good, but I don't have VR.
I mean, most people don't as VR is very early in development (I'm lucky enough to have a good friend with an Oculus Rift), but I don't think we are very far down the road from a significantly cheaper, consumer-oriented VR method (of high quality). Hopefully one that coincides with any sort of Voxelus progress.
Bad At Gravity

Post by Bad At Gravity »

So, I'm not certain. Is Voxelus for making your own VR games or for hangout like-things.
ZeroSwordsMaster
Editorial Staff

Post by ZeroSwordsMaster »

Connormon99 wrote:So, I'm not certain. Is Voxelus for making your own VR games or for hangout like-things.
At the moment, it appears to be Atmosphir, but for VR and more open-ended in what you can make (games, tours, hangouts, basically anything it seems)

It appears to be a tool more than a game.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Connormon99 wrote:So, I'm not certain. Is Voxelus for making your own VR games or for hangout like-things.
ZeroSwordsMaster wrote:At the moment, it appears to be Atmosphir, but for VR and more open-ended in what you can make (games, tours, hangouts, basically anything it seems)

It appears to be a tool more than a game.
As it's been described to me by Martin, it's not a game but rather a tool, as Zero said, to allow people to make VR experiences using atmosphir's old editor. I say experiences rather than "game" because they want it to be used for more than just games.

The old "design mode" has been repurposed as an editor and as a standalone application for desktop that doesn't require VR. A part from that, there's a "Player" that, well, plays the games.

AFAIK, there will not be a play browser present, since Voxelus in general is not a game.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

this is a joke post
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
Bad At Gravity

Post by Bad At Gravity »

I saw the video. It looks pretty cool.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

lol

I don't have much to say, I just would also like the post count the way it was before. Nbd.
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Entity wrote:lol

I don't have much to say, I just would also like the post count the way it was before. Nbd.
you are my smart smarty man of smartness

you must be a calvinist

flame war ho
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Miniike wrote:you are my smart smarty man of smartness

you must be a calvinist

flame war ho

:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: