The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Onemoreblock Repurposing

A place to talk about our community
Entity
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by Entity »

Sebastian Lawe wrote:Peeps keep asking why we aren't making super duper progress on Atmosphir.
Yeah, that wasn't aimed at you or streets I just quoted to give context
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
Bad At Gravity
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Bad At Gravity »

So... is my idea a no?
░█▀▀█ ─█▀▀█ ░█──░█ ░█▀▀█───
░█▄▄▀ ░█▄▄█ ░█░█░█ ░█▄▄▀───
░█─░█ ░█─░█ ░█▄▀▄█ ░█─░█───
ZeroSwordsMaster
Editorial Staff

Post by ZeroSwordsMaster »

If you're talking about the "make our own atmosphir" idea, probably not because everyone is too busy.

Although I was very tempted to post a very dead and old meme, it would've been a picture of Bender from Futurama, with text along the lines of "We'll make our own Atmosphir! With Blackjack and Hookers!"
I decided against it but it seemed fun at the time.

But yeah the issue is that everyone is just way to busy to try to make our own version, and as stated before, reverse engineering can only go so far.

The game dev community idea sounds good, but a lot of them already exist.

Papaya brought up a good point about how this forum is nice because it lets old community members catch up with each other. It may not be the best idea to get more members, although we could always try to get more activity out of our existing ones somehow.
Bad At Gravity

Post by Bad At Gravity »

Hm... offer them money? ;P
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

I don't think we will get new users. I don't think we should try to get new users. If new people show up that's good for them I guess, but anything we do to try and feed that will just be forced.

We are post-atmosphir. I don't want to have to make game(s) or whatever to be a part of this forum. Yeah, we can make subforums for stuff that there's interest for but I don't really care. I have a job and a life and I just check this forum because it's small and it's a habit and the people are cool (yes even you) and it takes virtually no effort.
Flameforlife

Post by Flameforlife »

Entity wrote: I have a job and a life and I just check this forum because it's small and it's a habit and the people are cool.
This. I have no coding skills whatsoever, I have no desire at all to make video games and what not, I come on here for the sole purpose of nostalgia. I'm much more interested in music and marching band than building Atmosphir back up again. I'm really quite happy with the site as is, but if we really want to get more users for whatever purpose, I fear we'll lose this close sort of connection we have to each other. I haven't been following this whole conversation, but I'm getting that "we want to get our games popular again" sort of vibe, correct me if I'm wrong.

As Entity said, I don't see us getting any new users at anytime soon, unless we go to some extravagant lengths to do so. I think we should just stick as a little community and let the site just take its course to wherever it goes.
Bad At Gravity

Post by Bad At Gravity »

Mk.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

Entity wrote:I don't think we will get new users. I don't think we should try to get new users. If new people show up that's good for them I guess, but anything we do to try and feed that will just be forced.

We are post-atmosphir. I don't want to have to make game(s) or whatever to be a part of this forum. Yeah, we can make subforums for stuff that there's interest for but I don't really care. I have a job and a life and I just check this forum because it's small and it's a habit and the people are cool (yes even you) and it takes virtually no effort.
Correct indeed. I'm with that general sentiment.
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
kellenbeck

Post by kellenbeck »

I believe that it would be best to focus on modding (or making) atmosphir or similar games; its what we (or at least myself) expect from this forum, and the name of the forum would fit quite well.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

You're welcome.
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Y'know, I know I've said this before, but some of you guys take this website way too seriously.

It's just a website. Maybe it will be useful to you once a week, maybe it will only be useful once a year. But it's here when you want it to be.

Atmosphir.com is gone. Go there and all you'll see is a blank page. Search for Atmosphir on Google, and you might come across a few news articles, but that's it. No links to download the game again and play around with it for old time's sake; no place to read about what the community was like, or discuss old events, or talk about new ones like Voxelus. Where there once was Atmosphir, there would now just be an empty void, forgotten by the internet.

Except for OneMoreBlock. It's kind of like a momument--a place to show what once was. I don't know about you, but a lot of my early years of high school revolved around Atmosphir, and so I at least think it's worth remembering.

No, the community is probably never going to grow. But imagine this: five years from now, a man who's long since forgotten Atmosphir briefly recalls a level he played long ago, and tries to remember what game it was from. He fantly remembers something called Atmosphir, and searches for the term on Google. What do we want him to find? What would he want to find? The blank website that is Atmosphir.com? A handful of articles on Techcrunch?

I think he'd be happy to find OneMoreBlock. He might make an account to say hello, or he may simply look around for a few minutes and move on. Either way, OneMoreBlock will have served its purpose.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Well put, sir! That is a lovely phrasing of something I've kind of felt without saying much :)
Bad At Gravity

Post by Bad At Gravity »

*Clap Clap Carp*
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Wowfunhappy wrote:Y'know, I know I've said this before, but some of you guys take this website way too seriously.
I think you've just described a perfect reason to take this site seriously :)

Although I know what you meant and I somewhat agree.
papaya

Post by papaya »

Wowfunhappy wrote:Y'know, I know I've said this before, but some of you guys take this website way too seriously.

i feel like i've been saying this for the past 3 years while also simultaneously taking this website too seriously
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

papaya wrote:i feel like i've been saying this for the past 3 years while also simultaneously taking this website too seriously
Same
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

papaya wrote:i feel like i've been saying this for the past 3 years while also simultaneously taking this website too seriously
Entity wrote:Same
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
boberto

Post by boberto »

Wowfun you brought a tear to my eye.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

Stranger things have happened. A fairer point could not have been made.
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
Bad At Gravity

Post by Bad At Gravity »

Yeah, strange things have happened. Like the attack of the Another Ones