The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Onemoreblock Repurposing

A place to talk about our community
ZeroSwordsMaster
Editorial Staff

Onemoreblock Repurposing

Post by ZeroSwordsMaster »

This thread was mostly made due to some good points made in the thread about post count. I figured that instead of derailing that conversation further, it would be much more ideal to make a separate thread dedicated to the topic.

Here's quick summary of the "repurposing" discussion:
OneMoreBlock is a tad bit...niche to attract a new user base. Although it doesn't need to be a forum that is constantly attracting hundreds of users all the time, a stagnant user base can eventually lead to a very slow and dead forum. So some users figured that, in order to boost accessibility, the central focus of the community should be shifted to something else. Although Atmosphir can still be a major topic piece, it ideally would not be the purpose of the forums.

The only issue is, what could it be?

I've heard two rather good ideas thus far. First, we have the idea of a "creative hub" of sorts. Imagine something along the lines of the Creative Corner and Technology Talk throughout the entire site, with a dash of Gaming Gossip in there (of course, with off-topic too). Some pros are that it would be broad, accessible, and varied greatly. Cons are that it may be difficult tying it to the name "OneMoreBlock," and a new format for sharing creations may be needed, as forum posts aren't always the best way to share for some mediums.

Second, we have a Voxelus fan site, pretty self explanatory. Pros are that it fits into the name of the forums and that we'd already have a user base from the project. Cons are that it relies on this project actually being finished and will be useless in the event that Voxelus has its own official forums, which I find quite likely.

Any other ideas? Any thoughts? Feel free to share, any ideas for making the community more active are welcome!
Bad At Gravity
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Bad At Gravity »

A game dev community? It seems to be that sometimes, even now.
░█▀▀█ ─█▀▀█ ░█──░█ ░█▀▀█───
░█▄▄▀ ░█▄▄█ ░█░█░█ ░█▄▄▀───
░█─░█ ░█─░█ ░█▄▀▄█ ░█─░█───
papaya
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by papaya »

theres no niche left to be filled

besides atmosphir
trying to do anything else is crazy, wont work.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

It more or less is a game dev community tbh. Atmosphir is just one of several things that people have developed on this site.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Briefly before saying anything else, I am supportive of any change the peeps decide upon-- regardless of if I would personally choose it myself, I do believe you all know a heck of a lot more than any one or two people alone of what is the best choice. Nonetheless, I did want to pose a bit of my concern.

I shared this a bit with Streetlights on Skype, I don't think he necessarily agreed with me so perhaps I am blind in my own ignorance. I am kind of worried that this would come to be a, "Same problem in a different paint job" That, by switching the branding, themes and even core infrastructure of the site-- we will still experience roughly the same amount of traffic, except under a different name.

I personally feel that technological geek-y forums are pretty gosh darn saturated, thus getting noticed is pretty difficult.

Nevertheless, if you all feel we would be better suited altering the site-- I would comply.
papaya

Post by papaya »

i gotta ask, do you guys genuinely want new members?
i'm surprised that this forum has lasted as long as it did with no clear direction and 10 members, but im kinda thankful for it because it means im in relatively close contact with a bunch of atmosphir peeps i'd never have bothered talking to otherwise
if voxelus 2.0 and atmosphir aren't anything to get excited over, might as well just leave the forum as-is until we all get bored.

the one unifying thread we have collectively is atmosphir, in some cases the only one, so why try and add in people who dont have that link?
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Because whereas its nice to have contact with people we know from previous projects, its clear that atmosphir isnt coming back and voxelus is a completely different style of project, so really this forum hasnt got a purpose anymore.

It would be nice to expand the community and see some new regulars on here, and if we have a good enough USP, a game dev/creative forum could work.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
papaya

Post by papaya »

i mean sure you repurpose the forum, now its a game dev forum or whatever-- then what? people arent just gonna google 'game dev forum' and find us first on the list

atmosphir IS the unique selling point. Just saying "we're a gamedev forum now!" is not enough to grow bigger. The issue is, and always will be, lack of progress on atmosphir. If everyone here is a great amateur dev, why arent we all working on atmosphir? Why are we pretending we can bring other things to the table.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

We aren't working on atmosphir because we have reached the limit of what we can do without having access to the unity assets and project.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

StreetLights wrote:We aren't working on atmosphir because we have reached the limit of what we can do without having access to the unity assets and project.
This.

Reverse engineering can only go so far. If we had the raw Unity project for Atmosphir, all sorts of modifications could be made to the game in a matter of seconds.
Bad At Gravity

Post by Bad At Gravity »

I don't have much coding skills, but I'll help if I can.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

Honestly, the only thing I use the site for is visiting, occasionally seeing what everyone's into, and then maybe a discussion here and there about some nostalgic notion or another. But then, I've been doing the same thing since basically 2008 where Atmo is concerned, with, of course, varying levels of active participation throughout. So as long as it, for the most part sticks around, I'm open to any changes you all deem worthy. Shoot for the stars.
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
Bad At Gravity

Post by Bad At Gravity »

Lets make our own game, similar to Atmo, but with lasers.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Connormon99 wrote:Lets make our own game, similar to Atmo, but with lasers.
but COOONNORMOOoN

we already HAVE lasers

that's our connormon

so silly
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
Bad At Gravity

Post by Bad At Gravity »

More Lasers, and maybe functioning Multiplayer. I think it's a good idea, and right now I'm stuck playing R o b l o x, which I suck at. Even though I played it since it came out...
(Edit: what the Frak is with the Barbie Magic of Pegasus crap? You really hate R O B L O X don't you?)
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Connormon99 wrote:More Lasers, and maybe functioning Multiplayer. I think it's a good idea, and right now I'm stuck playing Barbie and the Magic of Pegasis, which I suck at. Even though I played it since it came out...
You still play Barbie and the Magic of Pegasis?

Dang I wish I had your dedication. I actually had quite the affinity for that as a young-un.
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
Bad At Gravity

Post by Bad At Gravity »

It's okay, it's a simple way to keep in touch with friends.
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

Yeah. I used to Play R o b l o x too.
Then Atmosphir came along, then I started using Unity itself to make games.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Sebastian Lawe wrote:
StreetLights wrote:We aren't working on atmosphir because we have reached the limit of what we can do without having access to the unity assets and project.
This.

Reverse engineering can only go so far. If we had the raw Unity project for Atmosphir, all sorts of modifications could be made to the game in a matter of seconds.
Why does this keep coming up, there's like 12 people on this site and it's been explained MORE than that # of times
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

Entity wrote:Why does this keep coming up, there's like 12 people on this site and it's been explained MORE than that # of times
Peeps keep asking why we aren't making super duper progress on Atmosphir.