The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

New Voxelus Video Released

A place to talk about our community
Blazingplatinum

New Voxelus Video Released

Post by Blazingplatinum »

ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ThatOneFox »

Now this looks familiar.

If this works without VR, I'll be happy.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I hope you don't mind I updated the title to be a little bit more descriptive!

But, gosh that is really really neat to see! It is very reminiscent of Atmosphir and rather or not I will be able to play it-- I am still very very excited for those who can!
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

StreetLights wrote: Now this looks familiar.

Very familiar...
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

noice m8
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
OkaySandwich

Post by OkaySandwich »

I'm not exactly sure what they're going for here. Is it a game? A modelling tool? Frankly, it looks like it'd suck at both of those things, with crappy unity textures and models. Atmosphir may have been a great level creator, but it was awful at building environments.
Spoiler
[ATTACH=full]151[/ATTACH]
This is Voxelus. It looks as a 7 year old game should.
Spoiler
[ATTACH=full]152[/ATTACH]
This is Unreal Engine 4. This scene was created in 4 hours by moving and placing models on a flat terrain. I know which one I'd prefer to walk around in VR.

Voxelus doesn't bring anything new to the table in a cluttered market. It prides itself on ease of use, but why should I limit myself to a decaying engine when I can just as easily grab a few models off the Unreal Marketplace and do it better, with little to no extra effort?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lemon
Editorial Staff

Post by Lemon »

OkaySandwich wrote:I'm not exactly sure what they're going for here. Is it a game? A modelling tool? Frankly, it looks like it'd suck at both of those things, with crappy unity textures and models. Atmosphir may have been a great level creator, but it was awful at building environments.
Let me walk around my lego creations in peace. :(
freekboy31

Post by freekboy31 »

Hope we get secret game testing here.
:crate: :atmobot: coming soon..... :sentrybot:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :monkeyblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:

Bad At Gravity
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Bad At Gravity »

Ahh... imaginary Lego- err, I mean virtual building brick games. Yeah.
░█▀▀█ ─█▀▀█ ░█──░█ ░█▀▀█───
░█▄▄▀ ░█▄▄█ ░█░█░█ ░█▄▄▀───
░█─░█ ░█─░█ ░█▄▀▄█ ░█─░█───
Blazingplatinum

Carries basically the same message but shows a little more of the editor:

https://vimeo.com/131821477#t=57s
Anuke

Post by Anuke »

Blazingplatinum wrote:Carries basically the same message but shows a little more of the editor:

https://vimeo.com/131821477#t=57s
There was one part in the video where you could see Atmosphir's factory tiles... The exact same ones..
papaya

Post by papaya »

we've known for a long time that they're reusing assets from atmosphir, at least for testing purposes.
Bad At Gravity

Post by Bad At Gravity »

But you can also see a lot more custom stuff.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Connormon99 wrote:But you can also see a lot more custom stuff.
Because you can import 3ds and obj files.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Blazingplatinum

Bad At Gravity

Post by Bad At Gravity »

That's cool. Now I'm exited.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

This background looks very familiar XD
Spoiler
Spoiler
Honestly, at a first glance I prefer how the Atmosphir designer UI looks over Vox, but I won't judge it before I actually use it. Maybe it works better? We'll see.

Also, I don't think we were supposed to be able to see that yet, lol. I found multiple dead links on the site.
OkaySandwich wrote:I'm not exactly sure what they're going for here. Is it a game? A modelling tool?
Not really a game. As martin described it to me, it's "a tool for developing VR experiences".

I'm sure things like getting from point a to point b (find the finish flag on atmo) are still present though. It'll be interesting to find out if they left the enemies in there. The AIs and animations would work for the ones that they already made, but I'm curious as to how things like importing your own model for use as an NPC would work.
Lemon
Editorial Staff

Post by Lemon »

bionicnacho wrote:This background looks very familiar XD

Not really a game. As martin described it to me, it's "a tool for developing VR experiences".

I'm sure things like getting from point a to point b (find the finish flag on atmo) are still present though. It'll be interesting to find out if they left the enemies in there. The AIs and animations would work for the ones that they already made, but I'm curious as to how things like importing your own model for use as an NPC would work.
Keep in mind though, Atmosphir was frequently advertised as a tool rather than a game. Perhaps Voxelus is to become a VR counterpart of what Atmosphir was initially intended to be, or perhaps the term 'tool' is being rather ambiguous as we have seen in the past.

Either way, everyone is going about pointing out things that appear similar between Atmosphir and Voxelus but if you take note during the video of things that appear different, you will realize how very different the two are. While the decals and themes of the environments have maintained a similar style to Atmosphir, there is really several more dimensions and depths to voxelus than Atmosphir ever had. Just based on the videos at least.
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

With Voxelus being an extension of Atmosphirs existing tech, could be that you could make 'experiences' 100% reminiscent of Atmosphir (aside from fpv) as well as experiences that are far from it.

I'm sure Voxelus will have some appeal to those wanting to quickly make an experience without the hassle of programming. Some people might find they dont mind the graphical sacrifice of not doing the complex work themselves.

However, that being said. Thats assuming Voxelus wont give people the choice of customizing shaders. Unity 5 has some veeery customizable built in shader options, and they can be configured in realtime.

Take a look of this video of Smashy Ball (my game) which is made in the same engine as Voxelus. All of the mechanics in this game are very close to mechanics available in Atmosphir's repetoire., aside from dynamic block spawning, spinning blocks, and post effects. All my lighting uses the default Unity shaders (though the below example uses Unity 4).
Spoiler
[media=youtube]DGPgU8izFvQ[/media]