The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Voxelus Update

A place to talk about our community
MREPETTO

Voxelus Update

Post by MREPETTO »

Hey Guys!

I know I haven't been here for a while, its mainly because we've been busy at work and having 2 kids (Tomas and Leia) makes things rather complicated if you will.

Anyway, good progress all around with Voxelus. I've seen that many had questions about what we were doing, a game creator? an environmental creator? a scene creator?. We had the same questions to be honest.

On June we traveled to the US and did a showcase of our product to a bunch of relevant people, from Facebook to Samsung and Nvidia to name a few.

One thing we got out of the trip is that we had to define our product and everybody was telling us that it needed to be GAMES!. So that was great for us because we wanted to do a GAME CREATOR.

So that's what Voxelus will be. A game creating platform. I am saying platform because it will be much more than the editor itself (called voxelus creator).

Currently the platform has 3 major components. The Voxelus Creator, The Voxelus Viewer for VR and upcoming in Q1 2016, The Voxelus Marketplace.

Voxelus Creator

The creator is a super easy to use 3D design app for mac and pc, that lets you create Virtual Reality games without writing a single line of code. You could create interactive storytelling scenes, video games, guided tours, virtual offices, you name it…

Voxelus Viewer

The Voxelus Viewer it’s Just like a Youtube for VR, basically an app that runs on virtual reality capable devices where you will find creations made by the community.
The app is currently available for Android Samsung Gear VR and will be available soon for the Oculus rift in PC and Mac. We are also releasing in 2016 as a dev tool a viewer that DOESN'T require VR so you can play the content even without having a VR headset.

Voxelus Market Place
The Voxelus Player is an amazon like e-commerce site for digital content only, some examples online for 3D assets store can be found at: www.turbosquid.com, sketchfab.com, https://www.gamedevmarket.net/, http://www.cgtrader.com/. The difference with these sites is that the Voxelus Marketplace curates and allows content that is optimized and compatible with the Voxelus Platform. To operate in the Marketplace users need VoxCoins, a virtual crypto currency that can be obtained by purchasing it in our site or by playing the game.

Voxelus Economy, VoxCoin
The coin of the realm, the VoxCoin will be the only form of commerce inside the Voxelus Platform, the Marketplace is where you will spend most of it, but also users have the ability to charge for the content they create, that is: charge for playing a game or for doing things inside a particular game. The VoxCoin is built on advanced crypto technology, similar to BitCoin (litecoin actually)

As you see we've been pretty busy, we are releasing end of september a version of the Voxelus Creator so anyone can start creating content and helping us nail bugs, I will share the build here first so you guys have a head start, its buggy as hell as we've re wroten everything. The content we have now is not that much but we will be adding more soon.

https://www.facebook.com/Voxelus?fref=ts Thats our FB page, I just posted a few screenshots there.

Regarding Atmosphir content, we want to add a "retro pack" to have all the content we can salvage from Atmosphir there :) the thing is that a lot of the assets we have are not compatible with the new editor, some are, and we dont have the source files for the original files so there isn't much we can do. All of the things that work we will support them.

Kind regards,

PS: regarding to keeping this community alive, I think is a solid game dev community that should not go away.
PS1: We need to create a Voxelus forum site also, so if anyone wants to help set that up, moderate it and maintain it, please let me know
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ThatOneFox »

MREPETTO wrote: On June we traveled to the US and did a showcase of our product to a bunch of relevant people, from Facebook to Samsung and Nvidia to name a few.

Please tell me you aren't using any Nvidia proprietary code such as gameworks. All that does is screw users over.
MREPETTO wrote: Voxelus Market Place
The Voxelus Player is an amazon like e-commerce site for digital content only, some examples online for 3D assets store can be found at: www.turbosquid.com, sketchfab.com, https://www.gamedevmarket.net/, http://www.cgtrader.com/. The difference with these sites is that the Voxelus Marketplace curates and allows content that is optimized and compatible with the Voxelus Platform. To operate in the Marketplace users need VoxCoins, a virtual crypto currency that can be obtained by purchasing it in our site or by playing the game.
This interests me. Will there be a system in place similar to players club? (and if there is, will atmo members who had players club still in effect when the game went down be compensated for the fact)
MREPETTO wrote: Regarding Atmosphir content, we want to add a "retro pack" to have all the content we can salvage from Atmosphir there :) the thing is that a lot of the assets we have are not compatible with the new editor, some are, and we dont have the source files for the original files so there isn't much we can do. All of the things that work we will support them.

As we have modelers etc here, I'm sure we'd be happy to help try and re-create some of the atmosphir assets.
MREPETTO wrote: PS1: We need to create a Voxelus forum site also, so if anyone wants to help set that up, moderate it and maintain it, please let me know
I'd happily be up for this.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
MREPETTO

Post by MREPETTO »

Hi Streelights.

We are not using any nvidia proprietary code :) Just standard unity with a lot of focus on mobile because of the Samsung Gear VR.

Voxelus is a brand new company, with a new set of investors, it has nothing to do with Atmosphir. We will welcome the Atmosphir community and figure out something, but there is no planned compensation for Atmosphir players club. There will be no players club also.

On recreating assets, thats totally possible :)
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

:D

Also, will voxelus support ultrawide resolutions (such as those with ultrawide monitors and multimonitor displays) and will framerates higher than 60 be supported for those with 120hz or 144hz monitors?
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Anuke

Post by Anuke »

Will it have linux support?
papaya

Post by papaya »

so the main focus is VR, right? (compared to other similar game-makers out now)

if we're just making the games, do we still need a VR headset? is the VR-less editor the thing thats being released 2016?
freekboy31

Post by freekboy31 »

Will there be like.. a props editor? where you make models in clay-sculpting style (stretch & squash & color) to make one similar to the houses in your Facebook page?

Will there be a test- nevermind. Do I need latest Macintosh version or you'll be releasing also for Windows?
:crate: :atmobot: coming soon..... :sentrybot:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :monkeyblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:

MREPETTO

Post by MREPETTO »

Hey Guys,

let me answer as good as possible.

You will NOT need a VR helmet to test the games you make, the editor (Control+T) supports a preview mode. However a VR less player will not be released until next year because it will need work, and the focus is on VR, however is on the roadmap and it will happen :)

We will support the resolutions that Unity supports for the Editor, I guess it will depend more on your hardware than on our software since we enable "target" resolutions, so whatever your monitor support we should support it. Having said that maybe the GUI is not optimal or icons end up being too small, in 1080p the editor looks really good tho.

We will support user generated assets via the marketplace, basically you can build any asset you want following some guidelines such as texture size and amount of polygons, submit that to our servers and use it in your worlds, you will also be able to sell (or give it for free) in the asset store. Ideally and one of the main differences from Atmosphir, the users will eventually control the content that Voxelus will have. Voxelus however will be releasing assets periodically and we might partner with 3rd party brands or design studios to bring their content as well.

Voxelus is designed not be themed around a certain aeshtetic, but to be a place where ANYTHING is possible.
Bad At Gravity
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Bad At Gravity »

MREPETTO wrote:a big long phrase of important stuff.
Sweet, can't wait to try it.
░█▀▀█ ─█▀▀█ ░█──░█ ░█▀▀█───
░█▄▄▀ ░█▄▄█ ░█░█░█ ░█▄▄▀───
░█─░█ ░█─░█ ░█▄▀▄█ ░█─░█───
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

This is great to hear!

I have a couple questions:
1) When playing on something like the Gear VR, which uses a smartphone, how will you be able to control the player? I'm guessing through some sort of bluetooth controller?
2) Would you consider supporting something like GoogleCardboard for those that may not be able to purchase a VR headset?
MREPETTO

Post by MREPETTO »

The player can be controlled using the samsung gamepad. And also it has basic controls using the samsung headset, swipe forward to walk, swipe up to jump, swipe back to stop and tap to fire.