The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Xenoblade Chronicles

Everything video game related
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Xenoblade Chronicles

Post by Wowfunhappy »

I bought Xenoblade Chronicles a few weeks ago.

How this game almost didn't get released in the United States, I don't know.

How this game has not been played by the vast majority of all gamers in existence, I do not know.

Because Xenoblade Chronicles is freaking incredible. And I generally don't even like RPG's.

One of my main issues with RPG's is the battle system. There's always just too many different things to think about, I get lost. If, like Xenoblade, the battle system is realtime, it becomes even worse: not only do I have to think about ten thousand different things, but I have to think about them EXTREMELY QUICKLY.

And yet somehow... Xenoblade's battle system ISN'T overwhelming. It was hard at first, but after a little while, you get the hang of it, and it becomes second nature. And because the battle system is realtime, it has all the strategy of an RPG WITHOUT LOSING any of the excitement that you'd find in an action game. If anything, I think the battles here are MORE exciting than an action game, because of all the thought involved... the battle's are just wonderful.

The story is also INSANELY good. It's one of those things that actually starts out somewhat slow, but then, a few hours into the story, an event heightens the stakes and the excitement and tension skyrockets.

But that doesn't happen just once. It happens again, and again, and again. Each time you think the story can't get any more exciting, another event comes along that brings the already-high epicness to entirely new proportions.

The extremely likable characters and expansive world further create immersion into the game.

Oh, and the world this game takes place in is fantastic. It's huge and explorable, but unlike something like Skyrim, it's ALSO ridiculously detailed. Each environment- and there are a lot of them- is not just beautiful, but also wildly different and thus distinct from all the others. I remember one moment where I emerged from a cave into a rainforest and gazed out across the cliffs and into the misty sky... it was breathtaking.

Oh, and did I mention that this is a freaking WII GAME? Yeah, y'know, that console with crappy 10-year-old hardware that can't actually output more than 640x480 pixels at once? IT'S RUNNING XENOBLADE CHRONICLES!

Of course, for that reason, the graphics are definitely not going to blow you away. Blurry textures and pop-in are all standard affair, but the world manages to be beautiful in spite of these limitations. When everything else is so good, it's easy to forget the bad graphics and become lost in everything else.

Truth be told, I'm not sure this game would have been possible on an HD console... the budget required would just be unfeasibly high. So perhaps the Wii's graphical limitations were a necessary restriction...

Either way, please go get this game. Now. I'm only about a third of the way through, and the excitement and wonder is showing no signs of stopping so far...
St0l3n_ID

Post by St0l3n_ID »

I agree with OP ;)
SirWrek
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by SirWrek »

Yeah, it is very epic and incredible.
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
Echo

Post by Echo »

I was excited, till I read that it was for the Wii, don't have one :I
St0l3n_ID

Post by St0l3n_ID »

U dont own most stable and most selled vidoe game console in the world ever?
Pitty :/
Newah

Post by Newah »

Echo wrote:I was excited, till I read that it was for the Wii, don't have one :I
The Wii is probably the easiest current gen console to get your hands on, ATM. You can find them used for much less than a hundred dollars.
St0l3n_ID

Post by St0l3n_ID »

Srsly, the wii has the lowset bug rate of all modern consoles and is the top selling one (wonder why, there are only about 10 games that are really worth it, but i wouldnt regreet buying it)