The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Ps Vita: Is It Worth It?

Everything video game related
totaldile

Ps Vita: Is It Worth It?

Post by totaldile »

So, for me, Christmas has come and gone, leaving behind to me a bit of cash.
I've been debating buying for a while, ever since I heard that Danganronpa was going to get an official English release in February, though not for PSP but PS Vita.

Although I've already played an English patch of the game, I'm tempted to buy the official release to support the translators.

However, there's also the possibility, if the first game sells well, that the currently un-translated sequel will also get an official release. The sequel apparently blows the first game out of the water, so I'd love to play it.

Of course, I'm aware this would be buying a console for one (or two) games.

So I'll pose this question to you lot:

Is the PS Vita worth it?
Are there enough games currently out for it to make it a worthwhile purchase?
I'm open to any, really, if they're decent in terms of gameplay value.
(I don't have a PS4, and likely won't get one.)
Is the PS Vita a decent machine? Is it technologically capable?

So, in the end, is it worth it?
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Whenever I'm debating on whether to get a new console or not, I read up on games for it and then give them a whirl for myself, and maybe check out a store demo if I can find one somewhere. This is what I did when I was debating whether to get a 3DS, and I ultimately got one about 7 months after it launched.

I also think it'd be fair to mention that store demos have managed to sell me on several products (Most notably the Wii, Wii U, PS4, and iPod Touch). I don't think those are really available for handhelds, but if you can find a Vita demo in a store somewhere, it'd be wise to give it a shot.

I don't know if this is what you were looking for, but if you're debating whether to get a Vita, I'd say these would be good places to start.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Newah

Post by Newah »

I love my Vita. Aside from the high price point, I've had loads of fun on it. As for technologically capable, all I can say is yes. Yes it is. And more. :P I can run YouTube at the same time as I run some games. I can run an internet browser (and a technically competent one) while I go back and forth between LittleBigPlanet. The games look almost on the level of the PS3, and some even beyond. The OLED screen on the original model is beautiful, and shows off the colors amazingly.

There are so many games like Rayman Legends, Rayman Origins, LittleBigPlanet Vita, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Hotline Miami, Spelunky, Terraria, Persona 4, Wipeout 2048, the amazing Gravity Rush, Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, Tearaway, Killzone Mercenary and Guacamelee!. Plus the library of PSP and PSOne games on the store that are available.

The PS Vita itself has dual analog sticks, which are so much help for many games, especially FPS's, and the screen itself is a touch screen, as well as the touch screen on the back. One thing I hated about the PSP was that the screen got scratched and dirtied so easily, but the Vita doesn't have this problem. The screen is tough and scratch resistant. Overall, I've been incredibly pleased with my purchase.
boberto

Post by boberto »

Depends on your interests, but I have always leaned towards Nintendo's handhelds. The 3DS was one of the best purchases I ever made, the library is FULL of amazing exclusive games and more just keep coming and coming. I would suggest putting the money towards a new 3DS but that's probably because I'm biased.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

I've always wondered what the main games are for the Playstations. Like everyone knows about Mario and basically every gamer has heard of the Zelda series, but... what exclusives does PS have?
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Entity wrote:I've always wondered what the main games are for the Playstations. Like everyone knows about Mario and basically every gamer has heard of the Zelda series, but... what exclusives does PS have?

For PlayStation, exclusive franchises were largely a PS1 thing. The PS1 had exclusive franchises like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro. Exclusives on the ones after are usually limited to one-off games like The Last of Us.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

ElectroYoshi wrote:For PlayStation, exclusive franchises were largely a PS1 thing. The PS1 had exclusive franchises like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro. Exclusives on the ones after are usually limited to one-off games like The Last of Us.
Exclusives are basically the reason Nintendo is making as much money as it is. Like when I think of Nintendo I group it in a completely different category than Xbox/PS4/PC because they all basically share the same games.
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
boberto

Post by boberto »

Well nowadays the PS has Killzone, InFamous, and Uncharted coming back on the PS4 and there were some really good exclusives on PS3 like Beyond: Two Souls and The Last of Us, and I already mentioned Uncharted.