The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

What?

Everything video game related
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

What?

Post by ThatOneFox »

[media=youtube]nOzRWkyOQzw[/media]
What?
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Hmm, I am not going to be immediately negative towards it because I honestly understand why the company would want to integrate a more modern gaming experience into their locations. I think that it is rather, dangerous, given the motion sickness other players have experienced when playing the game. Much like those current tilting game that have many warnings and restrictions to use, I think the Oculus Rift will require very similar attention. Perhaps with an on-site staff monitoring the machine.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

I guess it's kind of nice because more people will be able to try out the rift, but imo using it for a virtual ticket catching game is just a waste. If they're going to be putting Rifts in there, use it for something more entertaining, that can take advantage of the VR tech.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Soooo basically it's just a high-powered version of that ticket booth game?
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Let's face it thought. Chuck E. Cheese on its own = feeling nauseous.
Imagine that combined with the rift...
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

The whole place is meant for kids. I don't think that kind of elaborate tech really belongs there.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I haven't been there for a very long time, but I am certain, if the machines were being damaged by kids, or if they were in anyway harming kids - Chuck E Cheese would likely pull the devices immediately. The last thing the want is any sort of legal action. So, I don't think it will be too too bad in the end. Perhaps the idea of doing the ticket booth is that the player won't be moving much, as such they will have less of a chance of getting motion sickness and no background scenery will be moving.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

I remember last I went (years ago) they had kind of a similar thing that you put on your head that covered your eyes. it had a screen inside and if you held the helmet-type-thing and turned it, it would act as if you were in a virtual reality environment.

Of course the Rift is much more advanced than this but if they made that thing work, this might. They did say that they were testing it first on like 3 areas and then they'll decide on expanding it or not.

What just kills me is that they're using it for a ticket grabbing game. I mean, c'mon. You have this really awesome piece of technology and you're going to use it to simulate grabbing flying tickets. It just doesn't make much sense to me.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

bionicnacho wrote:What just kills me is that they're using it for a ticket grabbing game. I mean, c'mon. You have this really awesome piece of technology and you're going to use it to simulate grabbing flying tickets. It just doesn't make much sense to me.

The thing is, that actually could be cool. But to make it cool, you have to add something to really spice things up, like have it set in a haunted mansion or on a roller coaster or something.
tta

Post by tta »

inb4 tll w/ "babies use ipads more proficiently than building blocks grrrrrrrr"
DvChayz

Post by DvChayz »

what is chuck e cheeses thinking lol
TheLastLink
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by TheLastLink »

tta wrote:inb4 tll w/ "babies use ipads more proficiently than building blocks grrrrrrrr"
chuck e cheese is literally the devil
tta

Post by tta »

if i were to have a virtual reality in chuck e cheese then it would be a virtual reality where im not in chuck e cheese
TheLastLink
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by TheLastLink »

tta wrote:if i were to have a virtual reality in chuck e cheese then it would be a virtual reality where im not in chuck e cheese
red alert, at this moment tta has 711 posts
tta

Post by tta »

TheLastLink wrote:red alert, at this moment tta has 711 posts

Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

bionicnacho wrote:What just kills me is that they're using it for a ticket grabbing game. I mean, c'mon. You have this really awesome piece of technology and you're going to use it to simulate grabbing flying tickets. It just doesn't make much sense to me.
I kind of mentioned this earlier, but I bet that was done in a way to limit the amount or horizontal motion while putting emphasis on camera alignment and dimensional perspective.

I was trying to think what other games could fit that requirement, while capturing some sort of light-hearted "kid-friendly" tone. I am not sure the market for bird watching and I-spy games are, but that is a possible outlet :P
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

You could always combine this with a controller and use the Rift to look around and the controls to actually do stuff. But this would be more for actual video games you'd play for long times at home, rather than the casual kind of games that exist in places like Chuck E Cheese's
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Yeah, my main thought was they were attempting to avoid movement to decrees the likelihood of motion sickness. Actually though, your post raises a good point - how are you going to reach out and grab the tickets in the virtual space? Like do you think the camera will have a cursor and a button to press to "grab" or perhaps there is some sort of hand movement tracker type thing.
jhjoseph91
Location: .LOC FILE CORRUPT. SCANNING C:\LOCATION\ FOR REPLACEMENT...

Post by jhjoseph91 »

Phantomboy wrote:or perhaps there is some sort of hand movement tracker type thing.
My thoughts of what would be used for you to be able to try and grab tickets.
i'm from another dimension!