The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Sequelitis - Zelda

Everything video game related
papaya
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Sequelitis - Zelda

Post by papaya »

[media=youtube]XOC3vixnj_0[/media]

personally I agree with all of his points that loz oot does suck balls
Bubble

Post by Bubble »

i remember arin wouldn't play zelda on grumps for a while because he was working on this video
when jon was on grumps.

still good tho, sums up why i was disappointed with oot 3d's boringness and then with the addition of skyward sword's slow/forcedness too, though i have higher hopes for the open world zelda than he does (and i dont even like zelda as much as other people do)

overall 11/10 it was ok, good to see an actual arin video again
missed ya bud
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Played twilight princess once. Got bored. Sold it.
Nintendo fanboys are just as bad as the rest.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I don't like to criticise fan bases for their interests - if they enjoy something that I don't, it really really doesn't concern me. So, whatever you enjoy - enjoy it for your own reasons.

In terms of the video. I know the point of comedic reviews is they they are, well, comedic. So I recognise this gripe is a personal taste thing, but to me it is painfully silly/distracting how much cut-away commentary, side character type things fly-ins and zooms this video relies on for it's humour.. It just kind of just makes me sit a wait for him to finish telling his joke, or yelling to return to his argument. Which at its core, seems pretty strong.

I don't know, I think this is a personal taste on my side..

Zelda as a franchise, seems to be one of mixed emotions. Many people are very eager to sing their praise of a game that personally captivate them - all the while I think there are quite a few people that are annoyed by this. I personally have never played a Zelda game, I can't say rather or not they fit my taste. They've garnered their fellow fans, which I think is pretty nice for them :)
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Oot doesn't suck that bad, it has it's moments. It's just not the masterpiece everyone says/said it was.

Majora's Mask is where it's at though, duh.
StreetLights wrote:Played twilight princess once. Got bored. Sold it.
Nintendo fanboys are just as bad as the rest.
TP is probably not the best game to be starting Zelda with, because the opening is so freaking slow. It takes like an hour to get to the first dungeon. It's pretty good from there on tho.
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Zelda games aren't for everyone. I never liked them when I was younger, despite loving most of Nintendo's franchises.

For some reason, it suddenly "clicked" for me a years back and I've liked the series ever since.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Which I think is a fairly good way to look at things, they are never for everyone. That isn't to say you can't criticise a work for its flaws, but I do think the notion of painting a broad brush over fan bases based on their interests is a bit.. narrow-minded.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

I agree with the video mostly, except I actually really like the story element. It just adds more depth to the game, and makes me further invested in the game instead of just going around mindlessly stabbing things just because I can. Without the story, the games would be pretty crappy. I'm not saying the story is perfect, I'm just saying I like the fact it exists.

And every Zelda game is different. Wind Waker is my personal favorite (I think it's a masterpiece, story and all).
Miniike wrote:Oot doesn't suck that bad, it has it's moments. It's just not the masterpiece everyone says/said it was.

Majora's Mask is where it's at though, duh.

TP is probably not the best game to be starting Zelda with, because the opening is so freaking slow. It takes like an hour to get to the first dungeon. It's pretty good from there on tho.
SO TRUE
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I'm kind of like Entity, I play the games for both the story and the gameplay. Without the story, the games wouldn't have a ton of direction, and exploration-based games like that really need that kind of direction.

I agree that OoT is overrated though. I think it's a great game, but I never really understood what made it a masterpiece.
Miniike wrote: TP is probably not the best game to be starting Zelda with, because the opening is so freaking slow. It takes like an hour to get to the first dungeon. It's pretty good from there on tho.
Twilight Princess' intro certainly dragged on (Rescuing someone's cat by catching a fish for it? What exactly was the point of that???), but honestly, I think plenty of the more recent games are guilty of this. Seriously, look at Phantom Hourglass and Skyward Sword and tell me those two games weren't plenty guilty of that too. The prologues to those games didn't have QUITE as much pointlessness invovled, but you get the idea.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

ElectroYoshi wrote:(Rescuing someone's cat by catching a fish for it? What exactly was the point of that???)
OH MY GOSH THAT PART TOOK ME LIKE 2 YEARS TO FIGURE OUT
papaya

Post by papaya »

ElectroYoshi wrote:I'm kind of like Entity, I play the games for both the story and the gameplay. Without the story, the games wouldn't have a ton of direction, and exploration-based games like that really need that kind of direction.

if you get pointed in a direction and you're forced to walk in that direction, is it really an 'exploration' game?
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

ElectroYoshi wrote:Seriously, look at Phantom Hourglass and Skyward Sword and tell me those two games weren't plenty guilty of that too. The prologues to those games didn't have QUITE as much pointlessness invovled, but you get the idea.
While I'm not disagreeing per-se on the beginning of Skyward Sword—it was strangely long and the time it took to get to the first temple was kind of ridiculous—I actually really enjoyed that part of the game. I liked getting to know all of the characters and be a part of the world of Skyloft.

It was fun, just a little out of place in a game that's usually so light on story.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Wowfunhappy wrote:While I'm not disagreeing per-se on the beginning of Skyward Sword—it was strangely long and the time it took to get to the first temple was kind of ridiculous—I actually really enjoyed that part of the game. I liked getting to know all of the characters and be a part of the world of Skyloft.

It was fun, just a little out of place in a game that's usually so light on story.
I enjoyed it too. I mentioned SS for that very reason: It seemed out of place for a Zelda game. I don't really complain about the events themselves because they all had relevance later on.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

papaya wrote:if you get pointed in a direction and you're forced to walk in that direction, is it really an 'exploration' game?
Nope, it's not.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

The opening to Skyward Sword was so boring I wanted to kill myself, but it was one of the only decent story parts in the game. The major good thing that came of it was an actual relationship between Link and Zelda, who are really the only characters in SS I gave a crap about because the rest of the story was so spread out and poorly paced.
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
Pliskin

Post by Pliskin »

I'd probably value egoraptor's opinion more of it weren't so obvious that most of his gripes with the game are because he has trouble paying attention to anything.

Consider this highlight video of him and Dan playing Wind Waker for GameGrumps:

[media=youtube]fp7f_nCKfFw[/media]

Arin is constantly complaining that game tutorials and instructions are an "insult to his intelligence" (shut cho mouth), and yet he ends up getting frustrated about not knowing what to do because he's not paying attention to anything he's supposed to. An obvious example from the video is not knowing where the shield is despite seeing it five-to-ten minutes earlier, and he doesn't even attempt to go up the ladder either. You could make a point that this is due to the "hilarious" commentary, but it really isn't that hard to say "Hold on, I need to focus for a second." And the shield isn't even the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Arin's ability to focus on anything.

In terms of his complaints about OoT being a game about waiting, I would attribute that to the fact that he just wants to mash the attack button when it comes to anything other than boss fights. While I agree that in a lot of cases just having to wait for an enemy to drop its cover isn't interesting, the Stalfos example he uses isn't very good considering that you can stun them with deku nuts. He talks about bats being much more tedious to kill in OoT as well, but you can easily get rid of them with ranged weapons like the slingshot or boomerang. However, I wouldn't think that he would ever consider fighting with anything but the sword.

Also, how on Earth are you going to complain about waiting if you aren't going to mention this?

[media=youtube]zSykPzw9cOg[/media]

Personally I don't think OoT is as good a game as most people make it out to be, but it's definitely not because of the reasons Arin pointed out here. I find this to be more of a rant about being impatient and wanting simplified games (not to say LttP is too simple) than it is a qualified review. Obviously it's meant to be more humorous than anything else, but he really should've put the comedy effort into something else rather than making a rant that doesn't mean much.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Pliskin wrote:[media=youtube]zSykPzw9cOg[/media]
The first time I played the game I thought this was some sort of joke or bug...
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Entity wrote:The first time I played the game I thought this was some sort of joke or bug...

I didn't think about it at all. After about 45 seconds, I was just like:
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Entity wrote:The first time I played the game I thought this was some sort of joke or bug...

Same here.

I think it WAS a joke though. I laughed, at least.

After about 30 seconds of watching that, I couldn't do anything else.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Pliskin wrote:[media=youtube]zSykPzw9cOg[/media]
I like to leave bread out during that part of the game so I can go make a sandwich.