The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Really Late E3 Thread

Everything video game related

Who won? Who's next? You decide. (But seriously who won)

PC Gaming
38%
PC Gaming
13%
PC Gaming
No votes
PC Gaming
No votes
PC Gaming
38%
PC Gaming
No votes
PC Gaming
No votes
PC Gaming
13%

Total votes: 8

Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

StreetLights wrote:Good emulation requires an insane hardware increase. My laptop surpasses the hardware of a ps2 but emulation still screws up.
Indeed, that would be true to an extent. Every game instruction has to be converted from instruction type A to instruction type B making things slower. At the same time though, they arent having to reverse engineer the Xbox 360 software or do as much guess work. Most emulators available out there are open source projects, and while they work, they're not as efficient as they could be (hence they need even more processing power to run).

Microsoft knows their Xbox 360 console, they have nothing to reverse engineer aside from translating from instruction sets. They ultimately have less work to be done. First party emulators happen to run rather well in the end (look at the Wii emulator on Wii U).

If you take a look at the Xbox 360 emulator being made by the public, Xenia, it has tons of bugs and inefficiencies caused by guess work. Its a game of trial an error as they have to work from the outside in. Microsoft can work from the inside out.
StreetLights wrote: EDIT: Also backwards compatibility is a bit too late. Most people who still want to play xbox 360 games will still own a 360 because of the lack of backwards compatibility until now.
No denying that.

Heres what stage Xenia is at anyway.
[media=youtube]OhsyqaHvlXk[/media]
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ThatOneFox »

That still doesn't change the fact that the xbox one has horrible hardware.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I have been pretty slow to catch up on this newest console generation. In fact, what I am currently looking forward to is the drop in price that often occurs either a year or two into each consoles life or when the next generation is approaching. So, while I will likely play very few of these games in the immediate future, I perhaps will eventually.

However, despite being entirely in the dark on the whole event. If I had to guess what occurred, based on last year, I would say; we saw a couple old classics get remakes, a lot of bruting dusty hero-types walked through apocalyptic or desolate landscapes, some really daft art direction was taken with neon bright or bold colour palettes and perhaps some older series got expansion packs or add-ons! Maybe??
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

StreetLights wrote:That still doesn't change the fact that the xbox one has horrible hardware.
Did I ever say it wasnt?

Simply put. Microsoft knows what and where to optimize, and they only have one set of hardware to optimize for.

Publicly made emulators are years of guesswork to get working, then years of guesswork to optimize.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

What happened in thist gen is that Sony and MS released some overpriced boxes with modified Laptop APUs that hold your games hostage, and then have the audacity to ask you to pay for online services when they are actually more susceptible to DDOS attacks than the free alternative (steam). On top of all this, you're paying a $20 premium for games on these machines and often are receiving a lesser experience due to downgrades/platform exclusive content. (Hows about that, if you buy the X1/PC version of Arkham Knight, you're paying the same amount for a lesser game!).

Also gotta love those "Exclusive" games as well, because while the Xbox One can't have Shenmue 3, Street Fighter V, Final Fantasy VII remake or no man's sky, and the PS4 can't have The Gears of War games, Killer instinct, Cuphead and the Master Chief collection, the PC will be getting all of those (Maybe the MCC collection as it was hinted to be coming to PC by major nelson).

Nintendo is off in its own little bubble making the same games over and over (Apart from splatoon but hey you're a kid you're a squid you're a kid you're a squid), and 3rd party developers won't even touch the wii-u because its basically the gamecube v3.

Just save yourself the trouble of this generation of consoles, or just get the Wii-U because hell, that seems to be the only thing that can actually get 1080p 60fps these days.
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

StreetLights wrote: Just save yourself the trouble of this generation of consoles, or just get the Wii-U because hell, that seems to be the only thing that can actually get 1080p 60fps these days.
Gotta love Nintendo's strict game policies :P
They reject any game that doesnt run 720p 60fps at a minimum (I read an entire pdf they made in regards to how a game is supposed to interact with their console).
Then again, most people get a Wii U for Nintendo's first party titles, and Nintendo seems to plan its hardware around its games.

<3 Wii U
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Well, I have never really been one for latest hardware/highest-end graphics or boasted increase in speed. I don't have a top of the line computer, nor do I ever expect home-consoles to compete with a high-end computer. I've always really liked the experience of a console, but never cared about what age that console is. In fact, just recently I purchased a small system that plays both NES and SNES games and picked up Super Mario World-- I've been adoring playing through that..

So, while the WiiU looks the best to me-- from my very uneducated eyes, I plan on purchasing it maybe by the end of next year or into the following.. So 2016-17, can't wait! :)
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Sebastian Lawe wrote: Quite dissapointed theres nothing new in regards to the next Legend Of Zelda game for Wii U. E3 2014 had a rather short and shitty trailer, and this year, no new trailer.
This.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Even if you aren't going for graphical fidelity, you're still being overcharged when it comes to the X1/PS4.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

StreetLights wrote:Even if you aren't going for graphical fidelity, you're still being overcharged when it comes to the X1/PS4.
Yeah, that isn't necessarily a lie-- I just looked around, it is quite surprising how much the previous generations consoles have dropped in price from their launch. If I do ever plan on getting an Xbox One or PS4, it will most certainly not be in their standard life cycle. Probably quite a bit after it really--
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Last I checked, the 7th gen consoles were only about $100 brand new.

Really, as far as my next console purchase goes, I'm much more interested in getting a PS3 than a PS4.

It's pretty sad when only one 8th gen console has any distinguishable games 2 years into the cycle.
papaya

Post by papaya »

yeah but there's not going to be any more games for the ps3, so if something you DO want comes out for the ps4 ur kinda boned

was the same thing with the wii-u and 3ds. hardly anyone bought one cus no games and now look we got like ssb4, splatoon, other games probably...
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

yeah smash 4 and said upcoming zelda title was what sold me on the wii u. Although...
Sebastian Lawe wrote:Quite dissapointed theres nothing new in regards to the next Legend Of Zelda game for Wii U. E3 2014 had a rather short and shitty trailer, and this year, no new trailer.
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Didn't Reggie say directly beforehand that ZeldaU wouldn't be at E3?

I don't have a source, I just remember something about that.

EDIT: Just looked it up on ZeldaDungeon lol
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Miniike wrote:Didn't Reggie say directly beforehand that ZeldaU wouldn't be at E3?

I don't have a source, I just remember something about that.

EDIT: Just looked it up on ZeldaDungeon lol
Yeah he did, so I was already disappointed before the show even began :(

EDIT: Interesting article. Almost makes me wish they hadn't shown the game last year, and had this year.
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

YOU ARE LYING I NEVER HIT YOU

YOU ARE TEARING ME APART NINTENDO
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

What I got out of that article was that they didn't want to hype and frustrate the fanbase too much. The countless Twilight Princess delays got on a lot of people's nerves, so that makes sense.