The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Portal 2

Everything video game related
Hollabyte

Portal 2

Post by Hollabyte »

Now you're thinking with portals.
πŸ‘‹ I used to be known as Prototype πŸ™‚ πŸ€–
marcod

Post by marcod »

I liked the part where you thought with portals.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by SirWrek »

Twice in fact, although it is sad that two factors will most likely keep a third game from appearing for an undetermined amount of time. They are as directly follows:

a) The events of Portal 2 were a 'just finale' for the series, and at least in Chell's case- it doesn't seem as though things could go much further. Especially if they ever plan on finishing Half-Life 3.

b) Valve's inability to count to the letter tres will be made painfully clear when it takes about five years to produce any of the following titles: Left 4 Dead 3, Half-Life 3, Team Fortress 3, or Portal 3. At least they hand us over a plethora of content for past games to keep us going...
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
Hollabyte

Post by Hollabyte »

SirWrek wrote:Valve's inability to count to the letter tres
lol... letter tres
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

Hollabit wrote:lol... letter tres
Aha, see- my ploy worked: now that I've gotten your attention...

No, in reality- instead of simply saying the inexcusable inability to count to three, I made it more interesante that way. Oh, and nuts to typos and grammatical flops.

So I misspoke basically. :p

But anyway- learn your basic kindergarten skills over again Valve. Just because you can make great games and cheer on Gaben all of the time doesn't excuse you from certain fiscal properties... ;-)
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
Hollabyte

Post by Hollabyte »

So back on topic, does anyone see the game going anywhere? Valve has gold on their hands, and if they don't at least continue the multiplayer aspect of it, I'll be sad.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

Hollabit wrote:So back on topic, does anyone see the game going anywhere? Valve has gold on their hands, and if they don't at least continue the multiplayer aspect of it, I'll be sad.
What they need to do is milk their gaming population for all it's worth with DLC and other multiplayer or Perpetual Testing Initiative related content.

Oh whoops- that was already probably in the plans. Maybe I should read the fine print a bit closer... ;-) At least they love free DLC- for PC players anyhow...

True, they do have gold on their hands- and I'm sure they'll put ti to fine use...eventually.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

SirWrek wrote: a) The events of Portal 2 were a 'just finale' for the series, and at least in Chell's case- it doesn't seem as though things could go much further.
I don't agree at all. Think about it.

During every single moment of the game up until this point, we've been trapped inside of Aperture Science. We've never been outside. We've never seen, or used portals to explore, the outside world.

Now, we finally can. There's a whole world out there that Valve hasn't even MENTIONED.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

Wowfunhappy wrote:I don't agree at all. Think about it.

During every single moment of the game up until this point, we've been trapped inside of Aperture Science. We've never been outside. We've never seen, or used portals to explore, the outside world.

Now, we finally can. There's a whole world out there that Valve hasn't even MENTIONED.
You're right, could be an interesting direction- however, allow me to refer you to...

[media=youtube]4drucg1A6Xk[/media]

We honestly do not even know that Chell has actually escaped, as this could all be part of an even more morbidly twisted experiment on Glados' part- after all, she has been known to do similar things in the past. Of course, that in and of itself could be a possible third game plot element I suppose- or they could at least tie it in to the Left 4 Dead: Kansas and Half-Life 2: Episode 3 themes, eh? ;-)
brendiculous

Post by brendiculous »

I don't want them to make a 3rd game. I was extremely satisfied with the conclusion and I think it should be just that: a conclusion. I'm more interested in seeing HL3, anyway. DLC for multiplayer (or even an exclusively multiplayer game) would be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

brendiculous wrote:I don't want them to make a 3rd game. I was extremely satisfied with the conclusion and I think it should be just that: a conclusion. I'm more interested in seeing HL3, anyway. DLC for multiplayer (or even an exclusively multiplayer game) would be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
I do honestly believe that I quite agree.

At the most, in about half a decade- they need to create Portal 1 HD or a two-pack collection including the PTI for both games. Twould be muy beuno indeed.
nonic5

Post by nonic5 »

You know, a portal 2 mirrors edge could be interesting <3

Also, my copy of portal 2 is glitched so I can shoot a rocket without opening up developer console. I can now break level speeds in otherworldy tme <3
Adz
Administrator

Post by Adz »

While the story for a 3rd Portal might be difficult to imagine. I do see that "hut" in the middle of the wheat field to show up as an easter egg in a Half Life level :P
brendiculous

Post by brendiculous »

Adz wrote:While the story for a 3rd Portal might be difficult to imagine. I do see that "hut" in the middle of the wheat field to show up as an easter egg in a Half Life level :P
That needs to happen. Just like the Borealis easter egg in Portal 2 c:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Portal was an excellent game, balanced story and puzzle, extremely well thought out pacing and very interesting concept. Portal 2 was a very good game, better character design than the first, diffidently much bigger than its original, but does more of something that is not quite the original better?

I don't dislike portal 2, in fact I play it more often then the original game. It is just hard to recapture that original vibe the first game had. A third game? really, I'm not sure how something like that would ever be able to be "pulled off" so-to-speak.
nonic5

Post by nonic5 »

Phantomboy wrote: better character design than the first, diffidently much bigger than its original,
"I want to congradulate you. Not for completing it, but for actually managing to pack on a few pounds."
lars

Post by lars »

I dont know how to think with portals also how do i eat cereal pls help im hungry
nonic5

Post by nonic5 »

lars wrote:I dont know how to think with portals also how do i eat cereal pls help im hungry
Put a portal in your stomach, then one at the bottom of the bowl.

This. This is the future of eating.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

nonic5 wrote:"I want to congradulate you. Not for completing it, but for actually managing to pack on a few pounds."
Wow- How did I not see that coming... Regardless perhaps like Adz said, some sort of reference could be in the future!
nonic5

Post by nonic5 »

Phantomboy wrote:Wow- How did I not see that coming... Regardless perhaps like Adz said, some sort of reference could be in the future!
Lol. I have never played HL1 or 2, but my friend said they left off going to a aperture space laboratory or something? (Wheatly's there I swear it.)