The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Tug- The New Minecraft

Everything video game related
nonic5

Tug- The New Minecraft

Post by nonic5 »

Tug Kickstarter
The community... I feel like it could remind me of Atmosphir.
[media=youtube]2tlPDsbp_M4[/media]

And for a more updated video...

[media=youtube]dd8cN68GYVE[/media]

This game combines both science, any kind, psychological, social, musical, all kinds of research is built within this game. Some example is while they have no soundtracks, the noises will all be built on the same cord set, so everything in the world will kind of... create it's own soundtrack. The game will be released in 2015. Buy the alpha for 65$ to get it in about a month. Or beta for $30 for it in 6 months. Honestly, you should try to get Alpha, because I feel we could help set up the community-aspect. Not only that, but for only 75$ you can get the game for 2 more friends, so three people! That's only 25$ each for something that has a lot of potential! :D

They plan on a crap load of stuff. This game is literally, in my mind, minecraft 2.

From the dev's themselves:

What do we think you’ll like about TUG? Some of the things we’re most excited about include:
  • Integrated modding support: we won’t just have support for modding tools hooked in from the beginning -- we’ll be sharing our tools with modders.
  • Pets and Companions will join you in your travels and help along the way.
  • Entire Civilizations lie hidden for you to uncover... or create new ones to conquer the world!
  • Day, Night, and Seasonal Cycles with perils and opportunities unique to each.
  • Exotic Wild Beasts to tame, hunt, breed, or ride!
  • Logic Engineering, from simple trap triggers to reprogramming your golem!
  • Dark Mysteries to unearth, and ancient powers to unleash!
  • DRM-Free. That includes the servers, which we’ll also be sharing with you.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

When I first saw this, I thought Aw crap, another cash in.

But this looks really interesting! The level of interaction they are promising is unlike anything I've seen in a game. I'd really like to try it!
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

If it were possible, I'd speed up time just to play this game.
freekboy31

Post by freekboy31 »

This is cool.

Does this support texture packs?
:crate: :atmobot: coming soon..... :sentrybot:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :monkeyblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:

Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

freekboy31 wrote:This is cool.

Does this support texture packs?
It is like far to early on to say rather it will or not, I doubt the development team have even thought about that. Hopefully the art team does such a good job that such a feature would not be necessary.

On a main note this looks really interesting! I hope it does well :)
nonic5

Post by nonic5 »

Phantomboy wrote:It is like far to early on to say rather it will or not, I doubt the development team have even thought about that. Hopefully the art team does such a good job that such a feature would not be necessary.

On a main note this looks really interesting! I hope it does well :)
Actually, they will! They are making this game as MOD-ABLE as possible. This was actually created by minecraft modders themselves.
Sebastian Lawe wrote:If it were possible, I'd speed up time just to play this game.
You can for $65! XD

For $65 you get the alpha game access, and I will REALLY recommend getting this game so you don't have to wait 2 years. (It's 2x as much as minecraft, BUT, you will actually have your suggestions in the main pipeline for the developers to hear!)

For $75, you get 2 extra alpha copies for your friends, and a T-Shirt, and a poster, and a bracelet, and a sticker.

If someone wants to pay the extra $10 for the game just for a shirt, but don't care about your friends? It would be a good idea to let other people in the community have it! :D

A new video update will be up on friday or saturday. It will show their development over the week. Also, since you guys seem very interested, I'll get a list of everything the mods said, so you guys can find out more yourself.
Rabbidfan236
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

$65 for a game.

What.
nonic5

Post by nonic5 »

Spoiler
Posts will be listed chronologically with the most recent posts closest to the top.

[INDENT=1]Posted by Ino on 14 May 2013 1:15 AM[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]Spread this knowledge where you see it is needed.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Cooking, creation, crafting etc... in some forms that get more complex, things like timing, and refinement will matter to perfect or even complete. it wont be as simple as just placing something in one area, you will eventually need entire labs and possibly even people working in tandem with their own timing to bring delicate substances together to make things work. But these results, will be invaluable to the world, and could give a major edge to those groups/guilds or specialized trade groups that TRULY understand their craft, beyond just clicking an icon.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]But do remember, that all complexity is optional, not mandatory and you could go on playing without ever having to do these things yourself, but still having something to trade with others who can.[/INDENT]

[INDENT=2]Ino discusses cooking and more about "optional complexity"! (Posted: here)[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]Posted by Inoon 13 May 2013 2:09 PM[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]As academics and science nerds, we come from a world where we openly site other peoples work, so we can build on this worldly collaboration. Its very contrary in video games... and its almost odd. We should work as a space to make worlds better over time, not hold back by thinking siting another game is taking away from "sales"... its a counter intuitive mentality if you really want to advocate growth. We are HUGE minecraft players, actually some of these theories are from us making mods and testing them out. Taking that a step further, we actually have been collaborating with the Aether Mod team as well as Sphax too, of the BDcraft game. We try to reach out to others (namely, BD Craft and FTB), but to no avail as of yet. We really hope that the next tech update gets some attention from them.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]For us, the modders are what made minecraft still relevant for many of us... so naturally, that community is something we hold dear to us. It's not about competing with any of them... its just about trying to make something we want to see. We will likely continue to use MC as a way to rapidly test and change things.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Posted by Ino on 13 May 2013 7:20 PM[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Thaumcraft, Build Craft (pretty much anything in the tekkit pack), and the Aether mods are some of the more notable ones that proved out a LOT of interesting design and play questions we had. Also HUGE fans of FTB and better than wolves... We really hope that one day we can work with all these creators, and give them the recognition that is deserved. We will make very clear references to their work when we publish our design papers as well.[/INDENT]

[INDENT=2]Ino talks about collaboration, inspiration and proper credit where it's due! (Posted: hereand here)[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]Posted by Ino on 13 May 2013 10:42 AM[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]There is one thing that is VERY important to remember, in how we approach things in game design... "optional complexity". What this means is, that the first phase of access to anything in game should be very easy, two parts, application and response. However, the complexity of those things should be optional. Now you all know, we WONT tell you what is going to be there just yet ;) ... but as an example:[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Simple carrot, plant seeds, leave for 1 day, grow and eat.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Awesome carrot, plant seeds, water twice in day, plant in fertilized source[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Magic carrot, imbue seeds with *blank*, water 3 times, takes 4 days to grow[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Epic carrot, imbue seeds with *blank and blank*, water 5 times, only during dusk hours 5 days... or something bad may happen...[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]So these are acting as layers of complexity, and some complexities may never even be discovered, but could be OUTRAGEOUSLY rewarding. And the person who discovers it can do one of those things... share it with the world, post to a wiki, etc... or hold onto this knowledge to have an INCREDIBLY valuable good to trade in the world. And its also important to note, many of these things we wont NAME Super carrot, normal carrot etc. BUT, some of these things like "magic or epic" carrot would look visually different. What is more, some of these carrots will have different impacts on your body, but it may not always be totally obvious to what that is.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Maybe the epic carrot is damaging to you, but makes for an ingredient in some amazing potion/bomb. Or perhaps that it is the only way to approach or summon that dark beast that has been rumored to see only during Christmas in snow biomes... These are all intersections of complexity that allow for speculation to go nuts, and reward those willing to test and risk things.[/INDENT]

[INDENT=2]Ino with more on farming and "optional complexity"! (Posted: here)[/INDENT]
nonic5

Post by nonic5 »

Spoiler
[INDENT=1]lol, before this one gets outta hand... its a PROXIMITY chat... so you can talk/type in game, but you will not see anything global. But if they are near you, they will be able to hear you. This radius of communication will make communication more meaningful, because it also means you are close enough to get punched in the face ;) (or zapped, or smashed, or poked, or tickled). But again, not to worry... it wont be all kinds of crude savage badlands forever... I am certain you guys will start popping up civilizations in no time and start defining your own rules, etc.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]BACK to my break... until I see some other topic go all kinds of bonkers.. SPREAD THE KNOWLEDGE! (so I can take my weekend off lol!)[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Posted by Ino on 12 May 2013 1:23 AM[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]The communication thing is something we can certainly play with through the Beta phase. Not gonna lie, I am KINDA hoping that we can give a round to just whistling in game, or making sounds with gestures to use for communication, and eventually let text communication come from devices created in game later ;) ... but we have to see what happens. Either way, push comes to shove, I may have to host my own server where all you can do is make sounds and gestures to communicate if we don't do that for official server stuff down the road :) [/INDENT]

[INDENT=2]Ino on in-game communication! (Posted: here and here)[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]Posted by Inoon 10 May 2013 7:48 PM[/INDENT]

[INDENT=1]lol WOW... this thread got massive... OK, I shall clear a few things up. Be VERY open minded, and keep in mind that there are lots of subtle things that help us make EVERY choice matter in a natural way.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]First... sorry, technically nobody is safe, at least not on the servers we are creating. BUT, there are ways to make everyone think twice about what they do, follow me along on his magical journey of "WTF are you guys crazy". The ONE thing we found to be a fact in any game, is that it is NEVER one thing that upsets people, or one thing that ruins it... its a series of things, that prompts that ONE action to make us mad. So when you get pwnd in an MMO... are you mad cause you got pwnd? Or, are you mad because it felt that no really value of that decision to pwn you was taken into consideration and now your level and work meant nothing because he was crazy op? I will share how we are looking to handle it, then I will RP a scenario so we all get a clear idea of how we look to handle this. Of course, this will spark more discussion or insight, but its supposed to be there so we all see how we think about design. Again... to emphasize, if its something you guys are not into, its why we are also working towards letting you control and host your own servers... SO:[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]There are NO indicators of names, handles over your head, or EVEN global chat systems... du du DUuuuuuuuuh. Here is why. We need EVERYTHING you do to matter, and we need you, and the people around you to REALLY think about what is going to happen. So think of how we look at trade offs in design. And how important your visual changes are in your character. Think about it... in a world where we want things to feel natural and organic... how do we know you are aggressive? You don't... you have to really think about who you approach, and how important it is... I am a perfect example of how you cannot REALLY tell who is aggressive. I am a 6'3 tall tattooed mean faced looking guy with a beard... when I am walking the streets, people are not ALWAYS smiling (I mean, I have LOTS of tattoos... hands, throat, arms... ALL overt). BUT, I always greet people with friendly HELLOS! and GOOD MORNING! Its just part of my culture... its perception... its INTERESTING! (science?)[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]So you will start in the middle of nowhere... with nothing.. what do you do? Who knows... no friends around... you walk around and see you can pick things up. Stones, twigs, vines.. you make something... its a tool... what is it used for? AHA! You are smaller now, slim... you find a cave and you stay the night. You take off the next morning and you see someone in the distance... (no handles over head, so you gotta figure something out). You are far away, so you cannot really make enough sound for him to notice... but he looks big. That said, he looks slow also. But he MAY be nice... but again, you just dont know yet. He is chopping wood, and he has a massive backpack... you think he may be able to help you, he may have something in that backpack (notice, how all these visuals are instantly important). You get close enough, he can now hear you, he stops and looks at you. You say "he mister, im kinda new to these parts, and I dont have much, can I help you do something?" Do you have to? No.. but you know in this world there are logics and rules that make Everything important. So what does he do? Maybe that big guy DOES need some help, he is only one player/person... COULD he just womp you and take stuff from you? Sure... but you ahve nothing... he doesnt get points... rep... and why would he try? You may come back and make is life HELL when he is not looking... its not JUST combat that hurts people after all. So you both have things to think about... uncomfortable? Possibly... exciting? F YEA![/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]What if it went differently... what if, you are the smaller person, you see the big slow guy and you DO want to take him on... is it just combat that wins? No... thinking does... You are smaller, faster, you likely have more stamina and more speed. You find a rock, you throw it at his head and yell "hey jerk face, gimme your stuffs", he runs after you..., you are too fast, he has to drop his bag, then his axe... now he is a bit faster, but you are faster than he is. You lose him in the forest, or lead him over a giant chasm... and look... FREE STUFFS! Do you have to be good at combat? NOPE! Are there stats? YUP, but subtle... where those things wont matter if you catch someone off guard. There will always be more than one way to solve a problem.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]OK, this may bring up another topic... can people steal from you? YUP! No artificial UIs, you need a stash.. will it get frustrating.... MAYBE, but perhaps you are in a place where nobody else is, its almost totally random, so you have less to worry about. But its another problem we can all solve in many different ways... maybe there is a hostile island of jerks who are all tough and steal stuff... you dont have to take that guff, cause you can find other ways of beating them... its the ONLY game like this, where the environment REALLY matters, USE IT! Dig an underground base, cover it with a bush, organize others like you... train for the month instead of grinding, get good with arrows, speed, learn secrets of the land... PWN them... OMG did you just got on an epic raid or adventure and all without an NPC telling you to? thats crazy....[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]These are also problems that some of you will make a NAME for yourself by solving. People stealing stuff? Perhaps someone starts up their own bank, to house things, and takes trade goods to store things for you. He has a clan of friends that took time to build this with strong materials, and it has sensors, or golems patrolling that only respond to a keypass of some sort. Or maybe you become a super fast amazing shadow magi, who protects the week... NONE of these amazing possibilities are possible, when you create restrictions of play.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]There are two realities to this... one... is that this maybe is too much game for some people, but again, its why we are making tools for you. Or TWO, you just take your own game, host your own server, invite friends from the forum and you have your own awesome world to just explore and build stuff.[/INDENT]

[INDENT=2]In depth explanation on the importance of visuals, the consequences in-game and player-to-player interactions, as well as creative problem solving! (Posted: here)[/INDENT]
nonic5

Post by nonic5 »

Spoiler
[INDENT=1]There certainly are consequences for dying... you lose all things you will carry (for our servers or modes). So death is a big deal... and as far as being trapped in a prison, there may be SOME kind of starvation system that we can balance out and have it so its not a HUGE issue if you don't eat for a while, etc. Again, this is part of us having alpha/beta stuff running, so we can work on these things together.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]The debate and perspective here is AWESOME, and we are all going to work out lots of play scenarios and show what is going on.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]It also may make sense in the future, to introduce new lands, or worlds where some rules may apply, like an existing civilization, where some people CAN be protected by laws... or where bad people are tagged with bounties fulfilled by other players. There are lots of interesting things we can do here.[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]Posted by Ino on 10 May 2013 9:05 PM[/INDENT]
[INDENT=1]To clarify though, there are other details to death, but we are going to save that for a later update... because that will add a different way to think about everything you have already been thinking about ;) [/INDENT]

[INDENT=2]Ino touches briefly on one of the consequences of death we may expect to see in game! (Posted: here and here)[/INDENT]
From dev team:

What do we think you’ll like about TUG? Some of the things we’re most excited about include:
  • Integrated modding support: we won’t just have support for modding tools hooked in from the beginning -- we’ll be sharing our tools with modders.
  • Pets and Companions will join you in your travels and help along the way.
  • Entire Civilizations lie hidden for you to uncover... or create new ones to conquer the world!
  • Day, Night, and Seasonal Cycles with perils and opportunities unique to each.
  • Exotic Wild Beasts to tame, hunt, breed, or ride!
  • Logic Engineering, from simple trap triggers to reprogramming your golem!
  • Dark Mysteries to unearth, and ancient powers to unleash!
  • DRM-Free. That includes the servers, which we’ll also be sharing with you.
nonic5

Post by nonic5 »

Rabbidfan236 wrote:$65 for a game.

What.
Halo was $60 -.-
If you want to play it with 3 friends, you can each pull together $25 each, cheaper than minecraft. To get 3 copies of the game, it's $75. 1 copy is $65. I don't know how that works either.
nonic5

Post by nonic5 »

I found this in the FAQ. I'm sold.

Will it be on steam?

It’s something we are considering, but there is a lot more to consider here than just the money and exposure, and it’s a rough trade off. On one side, the exposure and the sales would be awesome, totally! But the other side is that we would be stuck with how steam wants us to interact, when we are pushing to create seamless systems that will exist between game and community. Feedback from wikis, or forums (both positive or negative), or even from modding projects should translate into play and reward. And, hooray for science and tech, we have really neat systems already working that will make this stuff a lot of fun! But the fact of the matter is, we really want you guys to own this... the idea of Nerd Kingdom is that it’s supposed to be for all our fellow nerds. We will share all the pros and cons when the decision has to be made and let you guys tell us what your thoughts are.
nonic5

Post by nonic5 »

I know this is a separate thread for the same game, but you HAVE to see how they replied to one question.

Will you add this to steam?

It’s something we are considering, but there is a lot more to consider here than just the money and exposure, and it’s a rough trade off. On one side, the exposure and the sales would be awesome, totally! But the other side is that we would be stuck with how steam wants us to interact, when we are pushing to create seamless systems that will exist between game and community. Feedback from wikis, or forums (both positive or negative), or even from modding projects should translate into play and reward. And, hooray for science and tech, we have really neat systems already working that will make this stuff a lot of fun! But the fact of the matter is, we really want you guys to own this... the idea of Nerd Kingdom is that it’s supposed to be for all our fellow nerds. We will share all the pros and cons when the decision has to be made and let you guys tell us what your thoughts are.

This... I feel like this game is like Atmosphir, but no investors, and a strong community with the devs and game itself.

Post edited by Wowfunhappy: As awesome as that comment is, it doesn't quite warrant a separate thread. Thanks!
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Definitely looks like they are using some pretty good business practices. I definitely reminds me of the Atmosphir model.
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I saw that posted on the other thread, yeah this game seems generally pretty exciting. Despite the fact that every single similar genre is going to be compared to Minecraft - I am going to avoid doing so as I see games are best observed in their own light, if that makes sense.
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

Miniike wrote:Definitely looks like they are using some pretty good business practices.
Except making it cost $65?
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Rabbidfan236 wrote:Except making it cost $65?
Maybe...
nonic5

Post by nonic5 »

Rabbidfan236 wrote:Except making it cost $65?
It's $65 to get into ALPHA. The actual game being released in 2 years will be MUCH cheeper. Not only that, but don't most videogames cost around $50-$60 anyway?
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

nonic5 wrote:...
It's $65 to get into ALPHA. The actual game being released in 2 years will be MUCH cheeper. Not only that, but don't most videogames cost around $50-$60 anyway?
Not the type of game that this looks like. Most games I've seen like this are free to play.
Wazi

Post by Wazi »

What game are we talking about?