The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

The Originality Game

Games! On a forum!
SirWrek
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

The Originality Game

Post by SirWrek »

Seeing as we normally see the average influx and overflow of terribly overused and not truthfully very exciting forum games such as the famous (or infamous) 'Count to...' and 'Guess the Next Poster' ones, I've decided to create something else here as a simple change of pace. Hopefully it will prove semi-interesting in the very least, as it was the only 'original' thing I could think of, and besides simply trying to do another reboot of the hated and aforementioned forums games that have already been stomped into the dust in quick succession within our few communities over the years, I've proposed a simple new game plan to follow.

The name of the game is originality, and I mean that quite literally- as this game is simply going to be called by the moniker 'The Originality Game' or I suppose TOG for short, should three words prove too much to repeatedly post. After all, acronyms comes by second nature to me...

Regardless, allow me to furnish you with some shed light on the darkened interrogatory room you find yourself in, er, the rules room I mean of course. Here you go, a simple list of things needed in order to play and compete in this game of great skill and unique originality:

- Manage to successfully figure out the name of the game.

- Manage to successfully not give the name of the game away to another member attempting to guess the true name of this certain game.

- Figure out what the purpose of this game based solely on 'originality' is.

- Post here when you have both ascertained the true name of the game and it's purpose please, so as to enlighten us in our continual search for the perfectly original game.

Oh yes, and by the way- I expect absolutely no cheating whatsoever. Please do not just go around telling everybody what the aim and name of the game is. The objective is something you yourself must discover, and the name is just that as well. After all, I've made this game's name and purpose so deviously objective in such a delightfully subjective manner that it escapes even I, myself.

Oh yes, I know. Quite ingenious don't you think? Well, allow me to also furnish you with a small example if I may, before my forced memory loss, er, my drafts reset and I forget what I typed here- yeah, that sounds about right. so here you are as promised:

-Person One: Hey, I think this game is so original! Maybe it should be called The Original Game and the purpose is to Find an original name for this particular game.

-NOW-

-Person Two: Yeah, I think you're right.

-OR-

-Person Two: Nope, try again my friend- that's no fun.

Understanding it a tad bit better now? Well, I forgot to mention one simple extra little rule as well- mainly for a little added challenge or kick of sorts... Nothing major or anything...

-You must have every single person who posts agree that the purpose of the game and the name you've stated sounds fine before we can actually add that name and purpose to the 'for-now' titled Originality Game. If this does not happen, who knows the dire ramifications that could be inflicted upon our known universe, all the cosmos, and the pigflags of the world! After all, we all need pork occasionally- unless of course that is against your religion, in which case I feel your pain.

So, to recapitulate gently here for your sake, as I know I do tend to be somewhat of a longwidned blowbag sometimes....

-Discover the name.

-Post that name you discovered.

-Post the purpose of the game's name that you discovered and posted about discovering.

-Have it customarily shot down or accepted given as that may be.

-Accept the difficulty curve which I unfairly threw at you for spite.

-Finally figure out how to win the game once we actual figure out what this entirely original game is.

-Accept the fact that the game is most certainly not related to guessing the next poster or counting to one thousand, although it may or may not have anything to do with pigs, flags, and mind control.

-Brace for carnage, and enjoy the show folks.

This has been an important broadcast from President Snow, er, Wrek. May the odds be ever in your-

[Transmission ends.]
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
Hollabyte

Post by Hollabyte »

I'm definitely not the only one that tl;dr

And when I just now tried to read it, if anyone else does, it confused.
πŸ‘‹ I used to be known as Prototype πŸ™‚ πŸ€–
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Wait, if I'm understanding correctly... one of the objects of the game was to understand what the game is?
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

Wowfunhappy wrote:Wait, if I'm understanding correctly... one of the objects of the game was to understand what the game is?
Perhaps. 0_o
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
Adz
Administrator

Post by Adz »

Well, I for one am confused...
marcod

Post by marcod »

This game is about killing Nazis with broomsticks while riding on Polar Bears. Seriously, did you guys even go to school!?
Hollabyte

Post by Hollabyte »

I agree with marcod, that's what this game it about. (If only I could "like" his post...)
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

Hmm... I'm finding it hard to disagree with you, you inteligente ser.

Now, what about a name, eh? :3
marcod

Post by marcod »

SirWrek wrote:Hmm... I'm finding it hard to disagree with you, you inteligente ser.

Now, what about a name, eh? :3
"Badass Polar Bear Riding Nazi Smashers"
Hollabyte

Post by Hollabyte »

I'm inclined to agree. Hmm... that game went by quickly.
Master Chief

Post by Master Chief »

The purpose of this exercise is self-defeating. To be original, by definition, is to be "a model or basis for imitations or copies." Now, when one recognizes that the idea of a game has already been thought up by someone else, it becomes clear that any "games" there after are no longer original(Since games created after the first game ever created can not be a basis for imitation of the first game ever created). Thus, any game that anyone claims can fall under the category of "original"-as this exercise clearly calls for one to do-cannot be valid in their assertion, since the construct of a game is no longer original. This is the game we shall play.
marcod

Post by marcod »

Master Chief wrote:The purpose of this exercise is self-defeating. To be original, by definition, is to be "a model or basis for imitations or copies." Now, when one recognizes that the idea of a game has already been thought up by someone else, it becomes clear that any "games" there after are no longer original(Since games created after the first game ever created can not be a basis for imitation of the first game ever created). Thus, any game that anyone claims can fall under the category of "original"-as this exercise clearly calls for one to do-cannot be valid in their assertion, since the construct of a game is no longer original. This is the game we shall play.
Okay, fine, if you don't like Badass Polar Bear Riding Nazi Smashers then how about "Rowdy Big Ben Cleaners That Stare At Pizza"?
Master Chief

Post by Master Chief »

Combined them. Then you've got a game for the ages. xD
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

Master Chief wrote:The purpose of this exercise is self-defeating. To be original, by definition, is to be "a model or basis for imitations or copies." Now, when one recognizes that the idea of a game has already been thought up by someone else, it becomes clear that any "games" there after are no longer original(Since games created after the first game ever created can not be a basis for imitation of the first game ever created). Thus, any game that anyone claims can fall under the category of "original"-as this exercise clearly calls for one to do-cannot be valid in their assertion, since the construct of a game is no longer original. This is the game we shall play.
Oh no- you've caught me.

Hmm... Now to think up a new game...

And truly, it took me a few minutes to write that paragraph out too... Oh well. Waste not, want not I suppose. Or was it-
nonic5

Post by nonic5 »

You sound like an older version of me :0
freekboy31

Post by freekboy31 »

This game is corny as I expected. The purpose of it is to be smart enough to write long paragraphs but will it blend?
:crate: :atmobot: coming soon..... :sentrybot:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :monkeyblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:

SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

freekboy31 wrote:This game is corny as I expected. The purpose of it is to be smart enough to write long paragraphs but will it blend?
Maybe...

Hmm...
Master Chief

Post by Master Chief »

I think the main point behind SirWrek's game is that ambiguity facilitates imagination(aka fill in the blanks yourself). Or, alternatively, his "game" was just one giant trollish post to confuse the hell out of people lol.
EyceKubes

Post by EyceKubes »

I think this games confuses the Hell outta people.
nonic5

Post by nonic5 »

Hedlokd wrote:I think this games confuses the Hell outta people.
Except for the highly intellectuals <3