The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Actual Community Discussion On What To Do Next

A place to talk about our community
ethanciavo

Actual Community Discussion On What To Do Next

Post by ethanciavo »

Hello, Ethan here, and I'm back from my cryogenic pod, and I've noticed things have slowed down considerably. Now, I am as sick of these dramatic "Oh the tragedy the forums are dying!" posts as you are, but I think this is important. I've noticed scattered across several threads that people are discussing what we should do, and I think we ought to have a thread to legitimately discuss what we should do to further this community. Here are some ideas that I noticed were thrown around:

-Advertise on some indie game blogs and/or other forums (I personally think that this is the top priority. Even a few hands would help in this community!)

-Set up a social media page (Not as helpful, but would help a bit, even if we hold off on this for now we should end up doing this later)

-Get XP levels and some basic community events up and running (It's nice to get some incentive to stay in this community and help out)

-Try to make it possible to develop more content (I think we should do this later, since not only is it very hard to accomplish, but we should make sure we have a stable and working game first)

Anyways, these ideas are all very important to the community, but the order and way we carry out these tasks needs to be discussed. So, let's discuss it!
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Add a tick to number one for me :P I have gone and made a post about Atmosphir over on another forum which I frequent. Ask and you shall receive!

I am slightly wondering if I should meld the "Things are slowing down..?" thread with this or lock that previous thread, I am not sure. Whilst this isn't something I normally thing out loud, I am just wondering what would look best for new people coming to the forum :)
ethanciavo

Post by ethanciavo »

Phantomboy wrote:Add a tick to number one for me :P I have gone and made a post about Atmosphir over on another forum which I frequent. Ask and you shall receive!

I am slightly wondering if I should meld the "Things are slowing down..?" thread with this or lock that previous thread, I am not sure. Whilst this isn't something I normally thing out loud, I am just wondering what would look best for new people coming to the forum :)
Sounds good with the forum idea. I dunno about merging this and the "things are slowing down" thread, it would be pretty confusing to read, especially for newcomers to the forums.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I suppose so, I was just thinking what impression each would make -- but I suppose I shouldn't worry about it :p
Gtarmetro

Post by Gtarmetro »

ethanciavo wrote:Sounds good with the forum idea. I dunno about merging this and the "things are slowing down" thread, it would be pretty confusing to read, especially for newcomers to the forums.
What I'd do is make a master thread (this thread works) about all the ideas coming in like how I did with the currency system! Just make sure to be very informative and organized with your information.

I'm all in for any changes that we need to make at this point, so go ahead OMB preach your ideas!
Backing Keyboardist, Rhythm Guitar, and Harmony for Zach Seabaugh Band
Private Contractor @ Concert Music in Murfreesboro, TN
Desk Assistant @ MTSU
//Just trying to make a living doing what I love
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Phantomboy wrote:Add a tick to number one for me :P I have gone and made a post about Atmosphir over on another forum which I frequent. Ask and you shall receive!)
If you don't mind, can you link me to this post? I've been wanting to post about the game on mariokartwii.com for awhile, but I haven't been able to because I cannot for the life of me figure out how to articulate it...

Anyhoo, while I agree with all four suggestions in the first post, I think 1 and 3 should be our top priorities right now. Social media and new content really are the least of our problems at the moment. Generally speaking, the problem is not a complete lack of interest: It's that there's not enough going on to sustain said interest. For this reason, advertising on other forums and community events are probably our best bets at this point in time.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
RetroBandit
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by RetroBandit »

I think maby by march 2015 we should have at least co-op working.

Namely because of escaping the giant.

Oh well...
I think I am flying?
LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger »

tumbleweed

Hi. So um. How're things? Haven't been on in a while, and from the looks of this post, there hasn't been much going on. Who all is still active? Is the standalone working now? (Sorry for info spoonfeed.)
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Yeah, there's really not a whole heck of a lot to discuss atm. And yeah, the standalone is working.

I'm gonna be honest here: I think it might be wise to take a break from development until people have more free time to help out. With the majority of us still in school and having upcoming finals to worry about, most of us just don't have a lot of time right now. Yes most of us will also have plans for the holidays, but that's much easier to work around than schoolwork. I have three weeks off starting later this month, and I'd wager that most of us are in a similar situation. Once all (or most) of us have this semester out of the way, we can regroup and decide how to move forward.

Until then, I'll try to spread the word the best I can.
LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger »

ElectroYoshi wrote:Yeah, there's really not a whole heck of a lot to discuss atm. And yeah, the standalone is working.

I'm gonna be honest here: I think it might be wise to take a break from development until people have more free time to help out. With the majority of us still in school and having upcoming finals to worry about, most of us just don't have a lot of time right now. Yes most of us will also have plans for the holidays, but that's much easier to work around than schoolwork. I have three weeks off starting later this month, and I'd wager that most of us are in a similar situation. Once all (or most) of us have this semester out of the way, we can regroup and decide how to move forward.

Until then, I'll try to spread the word the best I can.

Correct you were on all points, and starting today, I am free until the 5th. What I believe would be a good step forward is actually trying to find a way to "own", per se, Atmosphir, and find a game studio willing to get everything up and running again...I tried contacting Dave once, but never got anything from him. Too busy with Adobe. As far as I know there hasn't been any contact with the devs in a while? If we could establish a solid contact again and fund a server or something, anything, that would be superb.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

LoneRanger wrote:Correct you were on all points, and starting today, I am free until the 5th. What I believe would be a good step forward is actually trying to find a way to "own", per se, Atmosphir, and find a game studio willing to get everything up and running again...I tried contacting Dave once, but never got anything from him. Too busy with Adobe. As far as I know there hasn't been any contact with the devs in a while? If we could establish a solid contact again and fund a server or something, anything, that would be superb.

Yeah, I've thought about this before too. Kind of a long shot to put it simply, but if there's one thing I've learned from being part of this community, it's that "long shot" =/= "impossible".
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

LoneRanger wrote:As far as I know there hasn't been any contact with the devs in a while? If we could establish a solid contact again and fund a server or something, anything, that would be superb.
We actually have been in contact. A couple MySt members are developing a new version of Voxelus, based on the Atmosphir source code. They've stated they don't really want to pursue anything that's directly atmo related (e.g. helping develop our custom server).

More info here.
LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger »

ElectroYoshi wrote:Yeah, I've thought about this before too. Kind of a long shot to put it simply, but if there's one thing I've learned from being part of this community, it's that "long shot" =/= "impossible".
bionicnacho wrote:We actually have been in contact. A couple MySt members are developing a new version of Voxelus, based on the Atmosphir source code. They've stated they don't really want to pursue anything that's directly atmo related (e.g. helping develop our custom server).

More info here.

:o