The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Finished My Unity Game. Tell Me What You Think!

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry
RetroBandit
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Finished My Unity Game. Tell Me What You Think!

Post by RetroBandit »

I finished the game that I posted needing help on earlier and have decided to share the build to you guys via drop box.

Game Features:
Instructions in the upper left corner
A win state.
5 Levels.
Slick Controlls
Restart levels by pressing R.

This is my first game that I made from scratch and actually finished so tell me what you think!

This is a small puzzle game called, The grass is Ice!
It is a standard ice puzzle game were when you move, you keep moving untill you bump into a wall. You have to get to the exit in every level.

UPDATE: The windows download has been updated to alpha 1.1 and adds smooth movement.
Thanks to sebastian for idea for implimentation and papaya and others for playtesting the old version.

UPDATE 2: The Windows version has been updated to alpha 1.5 with new slicker controlls that will allow for multiple player spheres and a extra level to showcase the ability.

UPDATE 3 FINAL: This is the final update to the game and expands the game to ten levels.
I do not intend to update after this so make sure to download this version and tell me what you think! :)

DROPBOX LINK FOR MAC: NOT TESTED BECAUSE I DO NOT HAVE A MAC.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vdo13tkdeppp ... UOoUa?dl=0

DROP BOX LINK for Windows:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/91p7mc2pxa5ghnu/AACcnEZe7AHNtq-WKTzvqG4Ha?dl=0
I think I am flying?
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Maybe tell us a bit about the game in your post. What's it about? Do you have a name yet? What are its core mechanics? Screenshots?

Some people might be hesitant downloading something that they have no idea what it is.

Also, I'd download it myself but I see you only included the windows version and I'm on mac :P
papaya
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by papaya »

could you like, upload it to a hosting site that doesnt require me to sign up
and confirm its not a screamer
RetroBandit

Post by RetroBandit »

I am pretty sure you don't need to sign up to download the file when I share it.

Also dropbox is used by businesses and most schools in my area so I can confirm it is not a screamer.

Yeah you can download it without signing up, just exit out of the model that pops up and download the exe and the data file.
I think I am flying?
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

iam12not3man wrote:I am pretty sure you don't need to sign up to download the file when I share it.

Also dropbox is used by businesses and most schools in my area so I can confirm it is not a screamer.

Yeah you can download it without signing up, just exit out of the model that pops up and download the exe and the data file.
By the screamer thing I don't think he meant the dropbox link isn't a screamer, but rather whatever he's downloading being a screamer.
RetroBandit

Post by RetroBandit »

its papaya's job to troll, not mine. and Also I would probley get banned if I posted a misleading link so I am not risking that

If it is a screamer(which it is not) all you admins can feel free to ban me.(the game is not a screamer.)
I think I am flying?
papaya

Post by papaya »

ok i downloaded it
i mean, it's alright. it kinda doesnt feel like ice, more just teleporting. Also theres not a lot you can really do with this sort of game as most of the puzzles have been done already

all in all for something that takes 2 minutes to complete its not worth the download but its a good effort

also i was referring to some time ago when somebody uploaded an actual screamer under the guise of it being a game they made
RetroBandit

Post by RetroBandit »

This was my first game so I expected you all to hate it. You can never make a best seller as your first game in five minutes. Even though it took me five days to make that game. I will just make another game, budgeting double the time and double the effort.
I think I am flying?
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

iam12not3man wrote:This was my first game so I expected you all to hate it. You can never make a best seller as your first game in five minutes. Even though it took me five days to make that game. I will just make another game, budgeting double the time and double the effort.
Before dumping this game, I suggest seeing if you can polish it up a bit. EG: have a smooth movement transition to each wall location.

Use
Vector3.Lerp(oldVector3Pose, newVector3pos, 0.01f)
in a FixedUpdate() method of type void.

I found the game itself worthwhile mechanics wise. Just add some polish and more levels (I wouldnt worry about accidentally cloning another game at this point).

Heres an example of one of my own games between when it was first being made, and where it is now. These things take a ton of time
Spoiler
papaya

Post by papaya »

i mean basically the whole point is that this isnt a game, its more of a tech demo - and you shouldn't feel bad for that, and you should aim for that rather than making a whole game for now. You've sat down and worked on something and, over the course of 5 days, produced this which shows off everything you learnt while developing it. Great!

make more stuff like this, either expanding on whats already there or making something new with your newfound skills, until eventually yo can make a best-seller. I'll keep downloading anything you put up on here and offer scathing advice, and I hope I didnt come off as too harsh
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

+1 to papaya

Anyways, in the future....
bionicnacho wrote:Maybe tell us a bit about the game in your post. What's it about? Do you have a name yet? What are its core mechanics? Screenshots?

Some people might be hesitant downloading something that they have no idea what it is.

Also, I'd download it myself but I see you only included the windows version and I'm on mac :P
Especially
Unity can export for mac... please? XD
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

bionicnacho wrote: Unity can export for mac... please? XD
Need a mac to export to mac silly.
RetroBandit

Post by RetroBandit »

Okay so I guess there is 4 things I want to add to this game.
1. Smooth movement like Lawe said.
2. instead of using arrow keys to move you click on the ball and arrows appear around the ball, you click one of them to move the ball in that direction.
3. Before I made this into a puzzle game it was orginaly a simple tycoon game and I even went as far as making grass textures.
(hence why the ice is grass) as well as a full camera system that you would expect in a tycoon style game.
I could probably add that back in after I do number one and two.
4. Proper models for everything, give the ball a few ridges, make the finish look like a finish and so forth.

Give me time and I will bump and update this thread when I implement a major feature.
Consider yourselves my test monkeys! MUAHHAHAHAH.

Merge 1:
Also I can export to mac without having a mac so I will put up a mac download.

Merge 2:
I have a question. Basicly in the level manager script I have the script waiting untill the ball is in a certain range from the target untill deleting the ball and replacing it with a new updated ball. I am using a while loop for this and unity crashes whenever I run the game, is there a better way to wait untill a even happens inside a method in the code?
I think I am flying?
RetroBandit

Post by RetroBandit »

Also I can export to mac without having a mac so I will put up a mac download.
I think I am flying?
RetroBandit

Post by RetroBandit »

I have a question. Basicly in the level manager script I have the script waiting untill the ball is in a certain range from the target untill deleting the ball and replacing it with a new updated ball. I am using a while loop for this and unity crashes whenever I run the game, is there a better way to wait untill a even happens inside a method in the code?
I think I am flying?
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

Merged Posts.
iam12not3man wrote: I have a question. Basicly in the level manager script I have the script waiting untill the ball is in a certain range from the target untill deleting the ball and replacing it with a new updated ball. I am using a while loop for this and unity crashes whenever I run the game, is there a better way to wait untill a even happens inside a method in the code?
Why not use the same ball? Why delete it and make a new one?
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Sebastian Lawe wrote:Need a mac to export to mac silly.
That's dumb... I can export to all platforms just fine
RetroBandit

Post by RetroBandit »

What about this question. all the items in a level is stored in a array, if I could move a gameobject from one spot to another spot without any changes other than which part of the array its in I wouldn't have to delete the object.
Then I could just move the array value and make it lerp to its position while movement being disabled untill it gets to its destination

btw bionic nacho I put up the mac download just for you. Consider it a belated christman present :)
I think I am flying?
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

iam12not3man wrote: btw bionic nacho I put up the mac download just for you. Consider it a belated christman present :)
Weird, when I unzip it I don't get the .app file, but rather a contents folder
Anuke

Post by Anuke »

papaya wrote:also i was referring to some time ago when somebody uploaded an actual screamer under the guise of it being a game they made
well, sorry.. :| was it really that scary?
I definitely won't be doing that again

Unfortunately, I run linux, so I can't test it. Could you put up some screenshots?