The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Gamergate/sjw Thread

Everything video game related
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Gamergate/sjw Thread

Post by ThatOneFox »

What is Gamergate?

A short video on gamergate:
[media=youtube]ipcWm4B3EU4[/media]

Or if you have time, a longer video:
[media=youtube]2j7HDsBjWIQ[/media]

"If it's not about ethics..."
[media=youtube]wy9bisUIP3w[/media]

List of GamerGate events by day:
https://gitgud.net/gamergate/gamergateo ... Happenings

Websites that should not be visited unless via an archive link:
Kotaku
The Verge
Gawker
TIME
The Guardian
Polygon
Engadget

Gaming websites/channels you can and should support:
Gematsu
Geimaku
Siliconcera
indijustice
IncGamers
Gamerheadliners
Jontron
Totalbiscuit

Links to view:
"I wish I was a female celeb in gaming"
https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction ... in_gaming/

"Gawker publishes private info of someone after they exploit bug in whatsapp"
https://archive.is/69ZZG#selection-3367.0-3373.80

"Polygon, Time, The Guardian, The Mary Sue and others run story on how a survey proves a majority of kid and teen gamers today think females are oversexualized in games. Survey was a public SurveyMonkey link posted on several SJW twitter pages like Ashly Burch's and feminist Facebook and Tumblr pages"
https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/3cwm1y/polygon_time_the_guardian_the_mary_sue_and_others/"Anita Sarkeesian's ""expertise"" in action" (contains scenes from an R rated game)
https://imgur.com/a/gesiIAnd finally, some tweets on the topic.

:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
papaya

Post by papaya »

fuck off

seriously anyone who still follows gamergate really needs to move on. shits dead, there's nothing to talk about. what's to discuss? who gives a goddamn frick about videogame journalism in the year 2015

i really cannot be fucked to watch those videos, but it initially was about video game integrity as one game dev slept around in order to have her game get favourable reviews.

now it's two sides basically doxxing each other and flinging insults over twitter under the guise of "muh videogames". it's no longer about journalistic integrity and more just another arena for 'tumblr feminism' to duke it out with 'egalitarianism', a neverending battle where both teams argue over technicalities and are both, realistically, striving for the same goal.
in fact just by putting the word 'sjw' in the title you've proven that a) you weren't there from the start, man, and b) you acknowledge gamergate is no longer about the games. you think the big bad 'triggered' sjw is gonna come and take all your games, as your friends over on kotakuinaction told you.

there is no sjw boogeyman out to replace all the games with games where people of colour and lgbt characters run rampant and snog each other

im not pro gamergate or anti gamergate, and no sane person should still be trying to align themselves with either. nobody should be caring about gamergate anymore. let it die.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

I was going to open my mouth but papaya literally nailed everything.

Gamergate is a huge joke. Any movement that's forced to mix misogynistic A-holes with people that are genuinely concerned about journalism is a useless vehicle for change.

It doesn't help that "sjw" is an absolutely useless term that only means "someone who acts exactly like you but is on the opposite end of the political spectrum". "Egalitatian" used to be a useful term, but now it's only used by people who don't realize that feminisim is (sorry TLL) in general a good freaking thing.
papaya wrote:im not pro gamergate or anti gamergate, and no sane person should still be trying to align themselves with either. nobody should be caring about gamergate anymore. let it die.
/\
This is the best sentence I've ever read on this topic.

Keep trucking Papaya, you're doing the Lord's work.
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
papaya

Post by papaya »

and if im completely honest im not sure which side is which when it comes to pro or anti

wait rofl hold the phone why is jontron being roped into this didnt he explicitly state he did not give a damn about gamergate
and why are you boycotting time and the guardian what the hell honestly

this is genuinely the worst thread you've ever made and the only way you can salvage it is to move it to pigflags and let nature run its course on this thread
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

papaya wrote:and if im completely honest im not sure which side is which when it comes to pro or anti
Pro is the 8chan users who harassed Zoe Quinn teamed up with whoever then can get to join them

Anti is Anita Sarkeesian somehow
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
Bubble

Post by Bubble »

when will the lord come to cleanse this sinful earth

i hardly even register gamergate as a real topic, please let this die forever
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

I don't see what the big deal is, hasn't this sort of thing been happening ever since games existed? Actually no, hasn't this been happening since the concept of reviews has existed??

Yeah bias in journalism is bad but like... I don't get it.

Also what's with all the SJW and feminist crap? What does they have to do with anything?

What does any of this have to do with anything?
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Entity wrote:I don't see what the big deal is, hasn't this sort of thing been happening ever since games existed? Actually no, hasn't this been happening since the concept of reviews has existed??

Yeah bias in journalism is bad but like... I don't get it.

Also what's with all the SJW and feminist crap? What does they have to do with anything?

What does any of this have to do with anything?
The feminism connection is there because this whole debacle started out as some misogynistic harassment.

Just shameless.

Also
StreetLights wrote: Kotaku
The Verge
Gawker
TIME
The Guardian
Polygon
Engadget
Just out of spite I visited all these websites for you.

I hope they enjoy their ad revenue.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Miniike wrote:Just out of spite I visited all these websites for you.

I hope they enjoy their ad revenue.
Oh no

They are now 0.01 cents richer what have you done
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Entity wrote:Oh no

They are now 0.01 cents richer what have you done
Just doing the good work.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I truly believe that GamerGate did massive damage to the video game industry's reputation and that alone is unforgivable. Video games are already seen as misogynistic to outsiders, and they validated that stereotype in many ways. By far the most common defense I've heard for that is that the misogynists are only a small portion of the movement, and therefore should be taken with a grain of salt

NO!

GamerGate does not get that excuse. I hear people spewing that left and right and I have never once seen a GamerGate supporter try to stop the harrassment. I also can't take them seriously when they claim they aren't misogynists because both Stephen Colbert and Wil Wheaton spoke out against them and they didn't care in the least. If it's about "ethics", then answer me this: Is it "ethical" to silence a journalist who is just doing her job? Is it "ethical" to go out of your way to leave every hate comment against someone you can? Is it "ethical" to dox somebody? Is it "ethical" to send them so many death and rape threats that they are forced to flee their homes?!?

I'd go on about the misogyny some more, but the fact that I'm in school right now limits my time, and its honestly not even the worst part of it all. The worst part of it all is the lie it frames about the stated cause. What "poor ethics" in gaming journalism amount to is bias. Biased reviews, biased analysts, so on and so forth. This is what people hate about IGN. IGN is widely hated because their articles are so biased. Instead, GamerGate frames it as "women are sleeping their way to the top of the industry", which is wrong, plain and simple. Yes, there are women in the world who will sleep with people for the sole purpose of furthering their career, but that's not the core problem with gaming journalism. Again, the core problem is bias. Before GamerGate came into existence, it was impossible to google "ethics in gaming journalism" without reading a bunch of results on bias. There is no excuse for not getting that right.

And there's the hacks who claim that the victims of GamerGate deserve what they've gotten because they dared to criticize gaming culture. That is the most despicable case of victim-blaming that I've ever seen. Honestly, I hope to God nobody actually thinks that about them. THAT IS UTTERLY HORRIFYING! The only other conclusion you can really draw is that these people just don't freaking care about the issue they claim to be soldiers for. How much could they really care about ethics in journalism if they use it as an excuse to do things THAT heinous?!? THAT IS FREAKING DISGRACEFUL.

*Sigh.......*

What more can I say? GamerGate is thoroughly disgusting in every possible way. In a PATHETIC effort to defend an ABYSMAL status quo, they took a very real problem in the video game industry and used it as an excuse to do things so heinous that I'm willing to bet that they did more to hurt their stated cause than they ever could have done to help it. Being misinformed is far far worse than not being informed at all.

You may think I'm beating a dead horse with this rant, and who knows, you might be right. But GamerGate is still out there. Perhaps more importantly, the things that gave rise to GamerGate are still out there.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
papaya

Post by papaya »

ElectroYoshi wrote:I say more dumb things before 9am than most people say all day.
i cant tell are you pro or anti gamergate
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

So the GamerGate thread went much better then expected

How was your day
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Tbh i just care about ethics in journalism, gaming or not gaming.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

StreetLights wrote:Tbh i just care about ethics in journalism, gaming or not gaming.
Then don't support GamerGate, support ethics in journalism.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Guys we've been punked
papaya

Post by papaya »

ElectroYoshi wrote:Is it "ethical" to silence a journalist who is just doing her job? Is it "ethical" to go out of your way to leave every hate comment against someone you can? Is it "ethical" to dox somebody? Is it "ethical" to send them so many death and rape threats that they are forced to flee their homes?!?
who's this journalist that had to flee their home after being silenced and doxxed
ElectroYoshi wrote:Instead, GamerGate frames it as "women are sleeping their way to the top of the industry", which is wrong, plain and simple.
the incident that triggered people into looking deeper into bias in videogame journalism was literally a woman trying to sleep her way to the top of the industry
ElectroYoshi wrote:Yes, there are women in the world who will sleep with people for the sole purpose of furthering their career,
such as...
(wow jesus electro this sentence is misogynistic as heck)
ElectroYoshi wrote:Before GamerGate came into existence, it was impossible to google "ethics in gaming journalism" without reading a bunch of results on bias.
such as...
ElectroYoshi wrote:And there's the hacks who claim that the victims of GamerGate deserve what they've gotten because they dared to criticize gaming culture.
such as...
ElectroYoshi wrote:Perhaps more importantly, the things that gave rise to GamerGate are still out there.

such as...
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

papaya wrote:who's this journalist that had to flee their home after being silenced and doxxed
Brianna Wu and Anita Sarkeesian. I know Sarkeesian's pretentious, but that doesn't make her doxxing any less despicable.
papaya wrote: the incident that triggered people into looking deeper into bias in videogame journalism was literally a woman trying to sleep her way to the top of the industry
A) That was later proven false, and B) That's a rare occurance in journalism. At the very least, it's not publicized often.
papaya wrote: (wow jesus electro this sentence is misogynistic as heck)
I didn't say all women were like that. I said such women are existent. So I'm gonna need you to enlighten me on how that's misogynistic in any way.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

FYI Electro, a lot of "social justice warriors" dox people as well...

...and you support them.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I have never once claimed to support SJWs.