The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

My Periodic Talk About Reviews

Share your creative endeavors
SirWrek
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

My Periodic Talk About Reviews

Post by SirWrek »

Image So, as you may or may not know, I've been reviewing games and media for quite some time- most recently (the past couple of years or so) here. Well, I used to do Atmosphir level reviews as well. I had several similar-to-LOTD review archetypes at one point, I did requested reviews to give better and more precise feedback than is possible in comments alone, and I also served a nearly two year stint on the Editorial Staff as well.

So today I come to you bearing gifts- well, an offer anyway. If you guys would like some in-depth critiques of the pros and cons of your levels (of which there aren't many in the play broswer at the moment, so this won't be too large of a job) I'd be more than willing to provide them in the forum. I can use this or another topic thread as the hub and publish the reviews themselves separately so that it is daily updated without me double-posting here, although I will include links on the main page in this thread.

There is no set criteria other than one simple rule (well, two really I guess):

1. Please make sure your level is possible to complete. If you accidentally left something out, I will play it, notify you, and then replay it once. However if you have purposely made it impossible (or your level is called "The Actually Impossible Level" or something similarly trollish then I will not bother to play it, sorry- no can do.

2. If I for some reason cannot complete your level even after multiple playthroughs, then I must really suck at playing Atmosphir (thank goodness my designing skills are marginally better). In reality, I will notify you via PM and put up what pieces I can review, no matter how miniscule they may be- I wouldn't pass up even a little bit of advice, as any is helpful potentially.

Bear in mind, these reviews aren't going to be thoroughly glowing or thoroughly degrading- they are going to be straight by the books reviews and therefore a mix of praise and prose (teehee). The only request I make in your personal request of a review is that you PM the level name and that it be one of your own levels so I don't have to look up the designer- despite that not being an issue with only 16 pages of levels currently.

So, the offer stands- I'm here frequently enough to be able to get back to you in a decently timely manner. Also, if you want an outside, external link source as well, the reviews will be posted on my review site listed above to boot.

Reviews Archive:

Voipqo D'raquo (Baufritz)
The Return of Captain Cameron (ElectroYoshi)
Treasure Hunter (Papaya)
Illuminate (Gtarmetro)
Muka Kingdoms: Breakout (World 1) [Jr727holst]
Sable (ElectroYoshi)
Pie's Really Small Entry[Small16] (DoctorPie)
Tropica 1 and 2 (ThatOneFox)
Treasure Seeker (Papaya)

Queue:

XXX
Last edited by SirWrek on March 29th, 2016, 2:14 pm, edited 14 times in total.
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
papaya

Post by papaya »

I can vouch for this guy as someone who knows a lot about reviewing and would give a fair and balanced critique of it.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

So, uh...

*cough

I'm still taking requests, FYI

:3
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
Gtarmetro

Post by Gtarmetro »

Well I wouldn't mind having my "Illuminate" level critiqued. It's a LOTD (I think that's what it's called still).
Backing Keyboardist, Rhythm Guitar, and Harmony for Zach Seabaugh Band
Private Contractor @ Concert Music in Murfreesboro, TN
Desk Assistant @ MTSU
//Just trying to make a living doing what I love
jr727holst

Post by jr727holst »

I wouldn't mind my level, 'Muka Kingdoms: Breakout (world 1)' reviewed as it would be useful for making the sequels knowing what to emulate from this level. Thanks.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

Now that Paps' review is complete, I'll get to work on the other requests. Expect one a day maybe at this rate, so I can soak in the level and not rush through my feedback and critiquing.
Gtarmetro wrote:Well I wouldn't mind having my "Illuminate" level critiqued. It's a LOTD (I think that's what it's called still).
I shall do yours first of course.
jr727holst wrote:I wouldn't mind my level, 'Muka Kingdoms: Breakout (world 1)' reviewed as it would be useful for making the sequels knowing what to emulate from this level. Thanks.
And yours following.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Maybe review Sable once you're done with those reviews?
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

ElectroYoshi wrote:Maybe review Sable once you're done with those reviews?
Yes, I should be able to do you all's reviews here soon hopefully. Been a few days behind with things for various reasons- apologies.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Re: My Periodic Talk About Reviews

Post by SirWrek »

Not unnecessarily bumping this, but I feel that I owe not only these reviews but others who would like to have their levels reviewed a fair shot at getting a quick and easy and relatively painless critique.

So since I disappeared from activity for roughly a year and a half at least and still don't remain very active on much in the sense of online communities and such things, I'd like to get back into writing and reviewing here at least, if not other places. I'm still fairly busy with life and work and studying, but same rules apply as before. I'll get the long overdue reviews posted (if I can find them somewhere since I did ACTUALLY complete them, just never posted) and if not I'll play them again for the sake of it.

I'm (back?) in business I guess. Yay.
Doctor Pie
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Doctor Pie »

Hello there! I'd love a review of one or two of my levels. I don't really have a preference on which, just not the Character Creator due to it not having a finish. ;)
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

Doctor Pie wrote:Hello there! I'd love a review of one or two of my levels. I don't really have a preference on which, just not the Character Creator due to it not having a finish. ;)
Okedoke. Well let me fine tune the current ones and have them posted and I will be sure to do yours as well. I'll let you know when that gets done as I'm a tad busy for the next two days. Probably gonna have them all up by the end of the week however so no worries there.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

EDIT: Updating and will try to get the final three requests up by the end of the weekend. :3
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

These reviews are sweet.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

ThatOneFox wrote:These reviews are sweet.
Why thank you sirrah!

And you all know what else is sweet? I finally managed to find the time to undertake an appropriate review of Papaya's Treasure Seeker, which is now up. Enjoy. :3