The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Suicide: An Understanding

Chat about anything
nonic5

Post by nonic5 »

Lemon wrote:Depression is the illusion. I am not here to argue that depression isn't 'real' because I have felt depression, I know what it is like.
To that, I say that it's probably a "half-empty, half-full" kind of thinking there. Even though I am as happy as can be now, I still believe it's an illusion that I drown myself in. That's just my belief though. I completely see the side of depression being the illusion too. Of course...
tta wrote:If you're happy then you're happy, if you're depressed then you're depressed.
...that's looking as you just need a smaller cup. It's logical. I feel a bit more easy knowing this.
Lemon wrote: You are still here. Might as well have some fun, right?
That's a quote to live by if I ever heard one. :)
Rabbidfan236 wrote:Life is only worthless if you waste it.
...Dummy, it's IMPOSSIBLE to "waste life." Everything you do isn't wasted in life. If you are sitting in a box, then that isn't "wasted." You could be doing something better, but "wasting" life is something that can't be achieved. Everything that happens in life is worth something, no matter how little. Even let's say doing drugs. Sure, you die sooner, but you aren't wasting life, because then you are experiencing something.

I suck at explaining things, but I full-heartedly disagree that life can be wasted.
tta wrote:You need to look at life with more simplicity, don't over-think stuff like this.
^^^
That's what I want the whole world to think. Over-thinking things is what got be into that wacky state of depression thinking in the first place.
Rabbidfan236
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

nonic5 wrote:Depression, coming to thoughts of suicide, it's not having a mere illusion that life is worthless, but more of the realization of it. Truth is, life has no real value.
nonic5 wrote:Everything that happens in life is worth something, no matter how little.
Skyshark

Post by Skyshark »

I wouldn't say depression is an illusion since it can also be attributed to the fact that some people aren't able to produce enough serotonin and therefore experience symptoms of depression. This is the purpose of antidepressants -- to maintain a chemical balance within the brain. You can't just say, "Get over it" to a person who physically can't help the fact that they're feeling bad.
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

Skyshark wrote:I wouldn't say depression is an illusion since it can also be attributed to the fact that some people aren't able to produce enough serotonin and therefore experience symptoms of depression. This is the purpose of antidepressants -- to maintain a chemical balance within the brain. You can't just say, "Get over it" to a person who physically can't help the fact that they're feeling bad.
Well in that case it definitely is an illusion. Just not one caused by the person themselves.
Skyshark

Post by Skyshark »

Rabbidfan236 wrote:Well in that case it definitely is an illusion. Just not one caused by the person themselves.
...What? You guys keep talking about illusions and crap like we're in an undergrad philosophy course. A chemical imbalance is not an illusion -- if it was, we could attribute disorders such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder as something generated solely by thought and not by biological problems.
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

Skyshark wrote:...What? You guys keep talking about illusions and crap like we're in an undergrad philosophy course. A chemical imbalance is not an illusion -- if it was, we could attribute disorders such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder as something generated solely by thought and not by biological problems.
An illusion is any sort of false idea, whether it's caused by thought or by biological problems.
Skyshark

Post by Skyshark »

Rabbidfan236 wrote:An illusion is any sort of false idea, whether it's caused by thought or by biological problems.
Soooo cancer is an illusion then?
Lemon
Editorial Staff

Post by Lemon »

That's not entirely true. Cancer is caused by exposure to radiation. Depression is caused by chemical imbalances due to "improper" brain function. It is true. Depressed people do have an excess of a chemical in their brains that physically causes depression. The term "illusion" is a bit too general perhaps.

You need to stop blaming the chemical imbalances though. These chemicals aren't released just because they feel like it. Chemicals, as any intro chem student will tell you, are formed in reactions. These chemicals that cause depression are effects, not causes. Things such as stress, lethargy, low self esteem, improper diet, and social unhappiness can cause these chemicals to form. I am not a depression professional, but I am probably the biggest chem nerd you will ever meet. I could make seritonin in a lab if I had the proper equipment. :P

(Typed hastily on phone, ignore spelling and grammar errors)
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

Cancer has nothing to do with mental issues...
Skyshark

Post by Skyshark »

Cancer might not have been the best analogy, but here's the point: you can have a predisposition for cancer just like you can have a predisposition for depression, and both are considered legitimate medical ailments that have negative effects. Both cancer and depression are inflamed by outside sources, and some of those sources cannot be controlled by the victim. So the analogy's not that far off the mark as you'd think.

I'm not blaming chemical imbalances, I'm bringing it up as an avenue for why people act the way they do. Obviously not all depressed people have some physical abnormality that results in decreased serotonin output. I previously said that, for some people, this is the case. I did not say all people are like this.
nonic5

Post by nonic5 »

Rabbidfan236 wrote:Image
Using wrong words there lol. Ermmm... What I mean is, life in the end accomplishes nothing, so the fact is, since you can't NOT waste life, than you can't waste it either.
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

nonic5 wrote: since you can't NOT waste life, than you can't waste it either.
Aflysokat

Post by Aflysokat »

If you ARE forgotten in 100 years or so, and are only known of your accomplishment, and not of who YOU are... Then let it be. You are dead anyways. Nothing matters unless YOU make it matter. That's all. If I said "Everything I ever wanted is on this hard drive," then everything I wanted is on this hard drive. Saying "Life really doesn't accomplish things. therefore it basically doesn't matter," well, it doesn't matter if you say so, or believe so. If you live your whole life trying to invent something, you invent it, and you feel like you accomplished things. You will die happy, I guess. Even if not, you feel you have accomplished hard work and determination. Same thing. If you feel you failed, and commit suicide, well... That is you. Life doesn't matter to you, go die. (Not you or anyone literally, but an example.)
For the depressed people... I don't know what to say. I'm inexperienced. I will never be depressed no matter what happens. All I know, is that if I want it to matter, it matters. If not... Move on.
totaldile

Post by totaldile »

What's the point in suicide? How selfish is it of someone to kill themselves? Just imagine the pain you'll cause to everyone, not only because they lost you, but because you'll forever be, to them, their best friend or their daughter or their grandson who committed suicide. How could you inflict that upon one person, let alone a whole group of people who care about you? If you see no point in life, then merely exist...death is a one way street.
boss

Post by boss »

totaldile wrote:What's the point in suicide? How selfish is it of someone to kill themselves? Just imagine the pain you'll cause to everyone, not only because they lost you, but because you'll forever be, to them, their best friend or their daughter or their grandson who committed suicide. How could you inflict that upon one person, let alone a whole group of people who care about you? If you see no point in life, then merely exist...death is a one way street.
That's a point that goes in reverse: how selfish is it to force someone to live a life that they don't want to live? I'm not condoning suicide, but it's not fair to the person if they have to simply EXIST for the sake of someone else's satisfaction.

I'm not really going to involve myself in the conversation though. This is a topic I prefer to stay away from ;p.
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

boss wrote:how selfish is it to force someone to live a life that they don't want to live?
If you don't like the life you're living, then live a different life. Only you can change how you live.
Skyshark

Post by Skyshark »

Here's an interesting thought experiment that we've probably all thought about once:

Say tomorrow that you get into a terrible accident and end up a paraplegic. You are unable to move your arms or legs, but your brain can still function as normal. You can no longer do the things that you once wanted to do, or if you can they have become significantly harder to do. Many people who go through this experience often report having severe depression, so here's the question: would you consider suicide in this scenario?
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

How would you go about actually committing suicide in that scenario?
Skyshark

Post by Skyshark »

Rabbidfan236 wrote:......

If you could find someone willing, assisted suicide still counts as suicide. Or you could drive your motorized wheelchair off a bridge, if there was a way to drive one in that condition. Use your imagination here. It's a theoretical situation.
Aflysokat

Post by Aflysokat »

Rabbidfan236 wrote:......

L.O.L.

That is all.