The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Anyone Spoken To Mist Devs After Atmo Died?

General discussion about Atmosphir.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

RaDsTeR wrote: Do I need more than 10,000 posts to be able to know? :P
lolno.

This is why we didn't want to tell you guys... You would've gotten all over-excited about some thing that may or may not happen and, well, it didn't happen. Sorreh.
RaDsTeR

Post by RaDsTeR »

bionicnacho wrote:lolno.

This is why we didn't want to tell you guys... You would've gotten all over-excited about some thing that may or may not happen and, well, it didn't happen. Sorreh.

kk
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Gtarmetro wrote:The funny thing is that we all know that the worst of the worst is taking place. Atmosphir's complete project data is sitting on a computer somewhere, collecting dust. If only we could find that computer, and secure the project from this fate. It really saddens me that whats left of the Atmosphir community is trying really hard to bring this game back from the dead, and the developers haven't even been the slightest bit curious as to where we have gone. OMB is a google search "Atmosphir forum" away.
To be honest, I hope that is the case. I sincerely hope that any project files of Atmosphir exist somewhere. To get our hands on that would be amazing, if unlikely. I am unsure of the specific legal loops that you might jumping through when attempting something like that, as it is something that would be company property.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

They exist and I know where :P
But I have since lost contact with the person in question.
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ElectroYoshi »

bionicnacho wrote:They exist and I know where :P
But I have since lost contact with the person in question.
Then get contact with him again. Now. Like, NOW, now.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

ElectroYoshi wrote:Then get contact with him again. Now. Like, NOW, now.
Believe me, I have tried.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Oh.
Well, crap.
Newah

Post by Newah »

BTW a little side note. Good old Halsey Minor has filed for bankruptcy and apparently owes over 100 million dollars, and only has approximately 50 million. He's selling off his two 20 million dollar properties in San Francisco and LA, and is now one of the biggest tax delinquents in California. Crazy.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Newah wrote:BTW a little side note. Good old Halsey Minor has filed for bankruptcy and apparently owes over 100 million dollars, and only has approximately 50 million. He's selling off his two 20 million dollar properties in San Francisco and LA, and is now one of the biggest tax delinquents in California. Crazy.
That is terrible. I believe I've said this before. I don't wish any ill actions on Halsey, especially with many of his financial contributions to the game. I wish him the best in his troubles.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Newah wrote:BTW a little side note. Good old Halsey Minor has filed for bankruptcy and apparently owes over 100 million dollars, and only has approximately 50 million. He's selling off his two 20 million dollar properties in San Francisco and LA, and is now one of the biggest tax delinquents in California. Crazy.
Halsey? Tax delinquent? How very shocking.
Newah

Post by Newah »

Phantomboy wrote:That is terrible. I believe I've said this before. I don't wish any ill actions on Halsey, especially with many of his financial contributions to the game. I wish him the best in his troubles.

I don't either. I felt pretty bad too, however, it's his own fault. To me, clearly his initial success into the world of tech was practically pure luck, with little to no knowledge of anything further. However, I do also wish him the best.
boberto

Post by boberto »

Nah, screw Halsey, he's a jerk. You don't accidentally owe 100 million dollars to the government, it just doesn't happen that way. You have to be royally idiotic to dig yourself that deep of a hole.

As for speaking to devs, I keep up with Dave from time to time. He's one of my friends on FB and we occasionally play some BF3 together on XBL. He agreed to write me a recommendation for Stevens Institute of Technology, one of my top universities, and for that I am supremely grateful. That as well as the impeccable work he did for our community and the game itself.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

boberto wrote:Nah, screw Halsey, he's a jerk. You don't accidentally owe 100 million dollars to the government, it just doesn't happen that way. You have to be royally idiotic to dig yourself that deep of a hole.
Even so, offering condolences when someone is facing financial troubles is fairly courteous regardless if it was their own doing, plus we don't have the details of the situation and it really isn't our life to judge. Furthermore if he were "royally idiotic" isn't that more so punching down at someone who doesn't have the knowledge/skills to manage something.. that just feels, troubling.

Regardless, it is really nice that you've kept up with Dave! I still have him on Xbox but I've not really played in a while - perhaps I should do that again.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Everyone makes mistakes... some bigger than others. I'm sure it wasn't Halsey's intention to drive Atmosphir into the ground :P

Anyway, the first page of this thread is extremely confusing and it took me ten minutes to sort out what it meant.
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Entity wrote:Anyway, the first page of this thread is extremely confusing and it took me ten minutes to sort out what it meant.
Yeah... sorry about that. If you must know, you can ask me over Skype. Basically, something that somebody said was going to happen and was incredible, never actually happened.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

bionicnacho wrote:Yeah... sorry about that. If you must know, you can ask me over Skype. Basically, something that somebody said was going to happen and was incredible, never actually happened.
Yeah, I did some research and got the gist of it hehe. I might take you up on that though.
Hollabyte

Post by Hollabyte »

Yes, I've spoken to some MiSt devs, but they don't have access to the source code (or at least the ones I know). Also, I highly doubt they would care that you're modding the game. Whoever owns Atmosphir currently would probably care, but then again they most likely wouldn't take any action against it because we're a small community and they aren't making any money off of Atmosphir anyway.
👋 I used to be known as Prototype 🙂 🤖
kroltan
Developer

Post by kroltan »

Well, Dave (albeit having left MiSt before Atmosphir closed down) seems to support us, at least for the initiative.
There is another developer who tried to help us out, but we had no word about him since last year.
As for MiSt as a company, it seems to be uninterested in us, probably both for the fact we are not profiting on its game, and that we are actually holding the community together if they ever re-release the game.

About source code, generally software developers sign a NDA where all code belongs to the company, and if they are eventually fired they must destroy every copy of company software they possess. But it's also a classic rule to "never delete source code", so someone must have a copy (not a personal copy, but on a company PC, which would be under the owner's possession).
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

I know one that has everything :P
He said he no longer has interest in the project, though so...
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

bionicnacho wrote:I know one that has everything :P
He said he no longer has interest in the project, though so...
I know a few people who do have interest... *cough* scroll up