The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

2d Atmosphir - What Do You Think?

Share your creative endeavors
Entity
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

2d Atmosphir - What Do You Think?

Post by Entity »

I haven't started working on it, and I don't know if I ever will, but I'm just kinda testing the grounds, ya know. (That thin pillar looking thing is supposed to be a door. Just bear in mind I'm a programmer, not an artist :P It almost definitely won't use Atmosphir resources, that's just a quick mock-up.)

There would be two main game modes:
  • Voxel mode: Everything is destroyable and collectable. Every block, ever door, everything. And you can place blocks you've collected. Think terraria, with guns. Will almost always be used for making multiplayer maps.
  • Adventure/Atmosphir mode: Just like the old Atmosphir we know and love :) You can't break anything (except breakable blocks of course). Keys unlock doors etc... etc... etc...
Both modes can be used for singleplayer and multiplayer maps. The same options will be available that you're used to in Atmosphir (find the finish, collect X points, death match, team death match, capture the flag etc...).
And since this is still just an idea, the possibilities are endless:
  • I'm thinking the player might be 2 blocks tall
  • Instead of three types of weapons (lasers, bombs and firearms) there would just be "weapons."
  • Each weapon could possibly have it's own type of ammo (machine gun ammo, pistol ammo, bomb launcher ammo, flower blaster ammo)
  • Or there could just be a "universal" ammo
  • Or both
  • The weapons could be unlockable as you gain XP (although we might not want to open that can of beans so,)
  • All the weapons could just be available, and the level designer would decide which weapons are available.
  • Classes! Could be created by level designers, or maybe the level designer just decides which of the classes are available. For single-player mode, the player could be locked into one specific class.
  • Scripting!
  • NPCs!
  • And of course there's no reason why any all of the above couldn't be implemented in a 3D game world either (that's just beyond my skills, so I'd have to stick to the 2nd dimension :P )
Sooo.... obviously it's an ambitious idea, and there've been a bunch of projects like it that have failed, but it's just an idea.
What do you think?
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Now that we have an Atmosphir server on here, I don't know how much a game like this would be played. It would be interesting to see though.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

ElectroYoshi wrote:Now that we have an Atmosphir server on here, I don't know how much a game like this would be played. It would be interesting to see though.
Well, true. If it becomes an actual thing it's going to be completely independent of Atmosphir, in the same way Terraria isn't advertised as a 2d knockoff of Minecraft.

And I really doubt Atmosphir multiplayer is ever going to be a thing :(
Wazi

Post by Wazi »

The player would be almost a block tall in Atmosphir.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Wazi wrote:The player would be almost a block tall in Atmosphir.

Yes, that's one of the changes I'd be experimenting with :)
Wazi

Post by Wazi »

Entity wrote:Yes, that's one of the changes I'd be experimenting with :)
;)
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

do want.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Another idea: pig flag mode ;)

There could be a pigflag running around the level and the first person/team to catch it 10 times wins :3
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Entity wrote:Another idea: pig flag mode ;)

There could be a pigflag running around the level and the first person/team to catch it 10 times wins :3
Funny thing: back when I was developing AE we thought of adding some sort of cheat that spawned a pig that runs around with a flag on it :P

But yeah that would actually by quite fun for multiplayer!
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

bionicnacho wrote:Funny thing: back when I was developing AE we thought of adding some sort of cheat that spawned a pig that runs around with a flag on it :P

Oh yeah, what happened to AE?
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Entity wrote:Oh yeah, what happened to AE?
Mainly lack of motivation and the team slowly left. As you can tell, I'm pretty much the only team member that's still active on the forums.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

bionicnacho wrote:Mainly lack of motivation and the team slowly left. As you can tell, I'm pretty much the only team member that's still active on the forums.

Wasn't there a thread for it on OMB? I can't seem to find it anywhere...
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Entity wrote:Wasn't there a thread for it on OMB? I can't seem to find it anywhere...
Yep, right here.
krishiv768

Post by krishiv768 »

Great,it's just best thingy I have ever seen,I am thinking of some more ideas.

Game modes:

1.Powers:your every weapon gets powers,you can destroy anything except enemies,the goal is to destroy all the blocks present in the level.(don't worry the destroyed blocks will turn half transparent and you could walk in them but weapon fire goes through the transparent blocks.

2.Picker: you have to pick every item(including beach balls,coconuts,tree barks,crates,prop interactives and block interactives) and dispense off via a dispenser.Player can pick up every interactive/item which is smaller of same size of it.Larger interactives can be picked up using a new powerup called Scale.

Power ups:

1.Scale: it has a wireframed box icon and can be used to pick up every object(including enemies) and larger interactives in Picker mode.

2.Floing shield:It has an icon of a ball,it creates a red transparent ball around it,this protecting the player from every damage(not including falling off the level).
Forgive me for my mistakes. I was a kiddie. But I'm not now.