The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

How Do You Design Your Levels?

Working on a new level? Have Tutorials to share? Post your work in progress here!
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

How Do You Design Your Levels?

Post by Baufritz »

How do you design your levels?
Do you tend to sketch things out? Or do you jump straight into design mode? What are your inspirations?

I almost always just start designing with no particular goal (just messing around with stuff), and go with whatever my mind comes across. I don't design very linear, I'm just adding little things here and there. It doesn't really look like a level at this stage. Later, when more stuff is there, I tackle the order of elements that are already on the design grid. I also end up throwing some of it away again, if I feel like it doesn't fit into the level. When I have a basic concept of how the elements will be arranged, I play through it a couple times to get a feel of how the various elements fit together. If I like it, I keep it and move on to skybox/music if I didn't experiment with it before.
When everything is done, I play through it a couple of times again and change little things, like speed of platforms, respawn time of enemys etc.
I typically release my levels a couple of days after I finish designing, because I playtest different aspects. If I notice that a concept of mine is too unreliable/hard to execute, I take it out/alter it to make the level beatable.

On a side note, I absolutely hate designing with fog and sun effects (in design mode, I love them ingame), especially when I've already set them to match the level. Anyone feel like that?
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
Wazi

Post by Wazi »

I never sketch things out. I always think of an idea and I do it.
Well, unless I get bored out of it and gave up.
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.

Post by Baufritz »

Wazi wrote:I never sketch things out. I always think of an idea and I do it.
Well, unless I get bored out of it and gave up.

I sometimes sketch things out, like when I'm in school and an idea strikes me, I have to draw rough sketch on a piece of paper, because I know that by the time I get home, it'll no longer be in my head.
If it's broken, fix it.
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Ideas for levels tend to come to me completely at random, but usually the idea has some kind of connection to what I'm doing at the time. I then jot down a few ideas (Sometimes on my laptop, but other times just in my mind), for concepts I want to incorporate when I'm designing and kind of map out in my mind how I want the area to look. I then get into design mode and begin realizing my vision as closely as possible. I playtest periodically and fix everything I don't think works well, or if I can't find a workable solution, just scrap it. To finish off, I always do a "final playtest" where I play through the entire level. If I run into something that's not reliable, I exit playtest mode, fix it, and start the playtest again. I never upload levels until I can successfully beat them without making alterations.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
krishiv768

Post by krishiv768 »

I just design the whole level in my mind and then try to make that level in real.
Forgive me for my mistakes. I was a kiddie. But I'm not now.
Wazi

Post by Wazi »

krishiv768 wrote:I just design the whole level in my mind and then try to make that level in real.
This.
krishiv768

Post by krishiv768 »

Wazi wrote:This.
This what???
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Often times a thought, such as a section of a level hits me or sometimes it is simply the levels aesthetic. Then I will simply work out from there. If my idea was to make a castle level, then I will design and area that looks like it could fit in a castle and start building game play elements into it. That's something I like to do, I prefer making smaller gameplay rooms, split up by checkpoint flags. That way I don't end up with a sprawling visual terrain, with next to no content to fill it. It also keeps me mindful of the capacity bar :)
Wazi

Post by Wazi »

krishiv768 wrote:This what???
krishiv768

Post by krishiv768 »

Wazi wrote:Image
Meh
Wazi

Post by Wazi »

krishiv768 wrote:Meh
krishiv768

Post by krishiv768 »

Same to you
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Deleted some off-topic posts. Let's try not to turn this into a pigflag now, guys.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Here's my typical loop:

- Come up with amazing killer idea
- Spend two hours in design mode working on it
- Lose motivation and save it under a cool memorable name
- Vow to come back to it
- Never come back to it
- Repeat

Yeah. Back in the day I had literally hundreds -- I kid you not, hundreds -- of crappy unfinished levels. And every now and then I'd finish one and it was still crap but I'd upload it anyway :P
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Entity wrote: - Come up with amazing killer idea
- Spend two hours in design mode working on it
- Lose motivation and save it under a cool memorable name
- Vow to come back to it
- Never come back to it
- Repeat
When I first joined Atmosphir this happened to me more than it should've.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

ElectroYoshi wrote:When I first joined Atmosphir this happened to me
I don't like what you're insinuating young man

Anyway, I like to think of myself as a creative person who is bad at doing creative things.

I uploaded maybe 100 levels and only 1 of them got LOTD. Ironically it was a tutorial level on how to make your levels look nice.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

It really does depend. Sometimes I just jump in without any idea (mainly during the days when atmosphir was actually running, which explains why I never got LOTD). However recently I do plan out my levels before I make them. Phantom was pretty impressed with what the lighting engine in atmosphir could do when he played "Amnesia - The god Complex part 1", mainly because I designed that level with lighting in mind, and therefore use of atmosphere (PUNPUNPUNPUNPUN).
In fact you could probably use it as the lighting demo for the game XD
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Baufritz

Post by Baufritz »

StreetLights wrote:Phantom was pretty impressed with what the lighting engine in atmosphir could do when he played "Amnesia - The god Complex part 1", mainly because I designed that level with lighting in mind
Lighting/atmosphere are in my opinion very important things to keep in mind when designing. A lot of levels I've seen in the play browser just keep the default lighting/music, and it often makes a huge difference if you just change the color of the skybox.
If it's broken, fix it.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Baufritz wrote:Lighting/atmosphere are in my opinion very important things to keep in mind when designing. A lot of levels I've seen in the play browser just keep the default lighting/music, and it often makes a huge difference if you just change the color of the skybox.

This
crazyal02

Post by crazyal02 »

I usually have a vague underlying mechanic and aesthetic, and just jump into design mode and build a level around it.