The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Lotw 4/8/2014 - Illuminate By Gtarmetro

Share great levels you've made or played.
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Lotw 4/8/2014 - Illuminate By Gtarmetro

Post by ThatOneFox »

I have a lot to say about this level, but I can’t say it all for spoiler purposes. This is probably the only review where I’m going to put a spoiler tag in the review. Anything outside the spoiler will be safe to read if you haven’t finished. Anything inside the spoiler will reveal solutions to puzzles and plot spoilers, so don’t be going in there unless you’ve either finished the level, or are extremely, extremely silly.

Okay, the safe area. This is where I’ll talk about mechanics, playability and overall fun. First off, this is a puzzle level, but it pretty unique in the fact that it’s all isometric, and utilises shadows to their maximumdragon efficiency. Platforming completely changes in an isometric point of view, as your perception of depth is completely tainted in this tilted angle. The puzzles involve gravity, pushing boxes and of course, platforming, all of which are well executed and used extremely well in the isometric viewpoint. The design of the level itself is pretty minimalistic, using white, grey and black squares to indicate areas of gameplay. Shadows are also used to indicate areas of interactivity such as gravity changes, jump platforms, and trigger areas. And that’s all I can pretty much say here. Spoiler section below!
Spoiler
Okay, here there be spoilers. The puzzles themselves were challenging enough to keep me interested, but seldom became frustrating. There was only one point where I kept failing to do a gravity jump correctly that irked me, but that was just my bad playing XD. The revelation of the narrators to be Leap and Dr Firebomb (One of Atmosphir’s greatest brits imo) was a great bit of nostalgia. An achievement gave a nod to ZeroSwordsMaster’s as of (and still) unfinished isometric puzzler, which I thought was a nice touch.
Okay, spoilers have been escaped and I can now give a final verdict. In short, Illuminate is a great puzzle platformer with plenty of gameplay time AND replayability. Great job Gtar! And welcome back!
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Gtarmetro

Post by Gtarmetro »

A SEQUEL IS COMING???? WAHHT?
Backing Keyboardist, Rhythm Guitar, and Harmony for Zach Seabaugh Band
Private Contractor @ Concert Music in Murfreesboro, TN
Desk Assistant @ MTSU
//Just trying to make a living doing what I love
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

Congrats!
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I haven't beaten this level yet, but it's terrific all the same. Great work gtar! :P
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Gosh, I remember seeing this :3 I need to play it!
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Just finished it. The ending was terrific. :P
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.