The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Hiram | A Challenging Fight For Survival

Share great levels you've made or played.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Hiram | A Challenging Fight For Survival

Post by SirWrek »

Image Howdy! I wanted to warm up for getting back into creating REAL levels, so you may or may not have noticed that I recently (yesterday and the day before) crafted two levels- one the product of an hour's worth of work, and the other of only twenty minutes. These alone demonstrated different concepts though time was a large factor in each, however they do not necessarily hint at the concepts you will see in this particular level, which I just released (circa 85% capacity too, though I experienced no lag at any one point). Hiram's story and level description go as such, "While searching the Tomb of Hiram, you fell and broke both of your ankles. Painfully claw your way out of the moldering ruins and into the bright world above..." Again, a central theme with this particular level is nostalgia and that classic puzzling, spike trap friendly environment from our lovely pre-beta and pre-"modern" (Stratosphir) Atmosphir as many of you know it. Obviously, this isn't entirely true to the classic formula, but then again, too much adhering to old formulas is no fun either. I like to think I'm mixing the best of both worlds for a neat, intermediate to advanced challenge. Image Time is, as I mentioned, once again your biggest adversary- as are the various, devious traps I've placed about I'd imagine. Though you have twenty minutes to complete the level, you may very well run out of time your first two or three tries. However, as you continually attempt to overcome the challenge I've set before you, you will find faster routes to certain key items and through sticky situations and areas, unlock more hidden secrets, and receive bonus lives and jump powerups. Trust me- every point counts, every trigger works, and everything is open for you to grab. There are several paths through this large level, ultimately leading out of the depths and into the light...assuming you survive long enough that is. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns- voice them here as well as in the comments on the level card if you would like to do so. I happily (and painfully) tested this level multiple times to completion after doing so piecemeal throughout its building, and am happy to say that after ten hours of struggling with capacity and creativity, I've brought you what should be an enjoyable, interesting, intriguing experience to say the least... For those of you that remember my XP/LOTD level called "Maintenance" which was an expert rated level and a lengthy, difficult adventure- think of this as its little brother. Not quite as challenging, but just as large and imposing and dark. Have fun! :p Oh, and by the way- if I see a general pattern in people's troubles with particular spots in the level, I will totally address them here. I can already think of one such tricky platforming place, but I can assure you it is entirely possible if you just slow down and go about it carefully between checkpoints... There are scattered hints though there are once more no dialogue boxes to be found in this level. Be aware of your surroundings- arrows and differing shades of blocks and types of stone show the way through most areas... If it seems impossible, you're missing something or an item... Those are my two major hints. Enjoy the challenge and please, by all means give me feedback so my next level can be even better, more challenging, and more fun! It's been a long time coming folks, but I'm finally able to create levels and I'm really thankful for the opportunity to share them with you all once more- however few of us there may be left to enjoy them, and despite the glitches we may encounter, and the fact that we've mostly lost all of our old save files. It means a lot to still see familiar faces from even way back when (like 2008). :3 Image
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

SirWrek wrote: It's been a long time coming folks, but I'm finally able to create levels and I'm really thankful for the opportunity to share them with you all once more- however few of us there may be left to enjoy them, and despite the glitches we may encounter, and the fact that we've mostly lost all of our old save files. It means a lot to still see familiar faces from even way back when (like 2008). :3

Couldn't have said it better myself Wrekman!

It's getting kind of late here, so I can't play this right now, but it looks terrific and I'll definitely make it a priority when I get home from school tomorrow. :3
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

Whenever is good for you haha! I'd recommend waiting anyway, if it's late- as this will most likely take one or two or more playthroughs, and also each ones runs at least fifteen minutes minimum- it took me 12, and I know where everything is haha.

Also...

New screenshot: (Mainly to show my score, and challenge you all to beat it)
Image I believe I only lost two lives, due to...unfortunately stupid circumstances... But alas. Maybe one of you will manage to beat my score. Time is the biggest factor, and there is some booty to loot as well, if you feel up for it... So- I challenge you all to beat this score and post a screenshot of it! No particular time limit on that, I just want to keep a running log so we can see who the greatest among us truly is... :3 And yes, obviously I'm biased so I gave myself 5 stars. Might as well. After all, scores and ratings don't seem to show up anyways... ;-)
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

SirWrek wrote:there is some booty
I'M IN

Seriously though, looks awesome! It's great to have you back :D Definitely gonna play this.
SirWrek wrote:And yes, obviously I'm biased so I gave myself 5 stars. Might as well. After all, scores and ratings don't seem to show up anyways... ;-)
Yeah. I was actually working on that a while ago and got it semi-working, but I don't know if Nin's added it to the server. tl;dr yeah, it doesn't work :P
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

Entity wrote: Yeah. I was actually working on that a while ago and got it semi-working, but I don't know if Nin's added it to the server. tl;dr yeah, it doesn't work :P
Haha, no rush. It's hardly the most important part of things right now anyway I'm sure...