The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Talk ≠ Action

A place to talk about our community
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I think he's talking about the new logo.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Not technically, I suppose what I meant was the banner - but yeah - if it were to happen with like a trailer and screen shots and such, I think there probably would be a dedicated home page :P but yeah..
LoneRanger
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by LoneRanger »

Ah, I gotcha. It would indeed be cool, but I mean, the last post was over a month ago. Was a page actually developed or did the project die out again?
freekboy31

Post by freekboy31 »

Okay, recently, there was another site called Exosphir made by the members of OMB. The contents there were LOTW reviews then the page intergrated into homepage.
:crate: :atmobot: coming soon..... :sentrybot:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :monkeyblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:

ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I'll have to see if I can get a hold of kroltan on Skype tomorrow so this can be discussed further...
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger »

Where is exosphir though? Also heard of troposhir and stratosphir, but have never actually seen any of them.
kroltan
Developer

Post by kroltan »

Exosphir was taken down, and Stratosphir was just a Wordpress blog, so levels had to be double-uploaded (it kind of worked when the level browser wasn't working yet, but now I think it's a but obsolete, except for reviews). The web level browser is partially implemented, but has no search functionality yet. it's on our Github, so anyone with the required skills (understanding the server API and AngularJS, aswell as dedication to build something purely HTML5) can suggest modifications. I plan on working on it during my school holidays (which begin in July 20-something).

Entity is working on multiplayer, Nin on a decent Java launcher.
LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger »

I found Stratosphir, and it does indeed seem somewhat outdated and deprecated. I'd be interested to take a look at the website (I really am clueless as to everything here, though, so I wouldn't know how to locate the Github, can you give me a link?) and perhaps make some suggestions (if it holds any value, I took two years of web design and have been working with HTML5 for a while - I also made a website [a shabby one, about a year and a half ago] for Grimind.)
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

LoneRanger wrote:I found Stratosphir, and it does indeed seem somewhat outdated and deprecated. I'd be interested to take a look at the website (I really am clueless as to everything here, though, so I wouldn't know how to locate the Github, can you give me a link?) and perhaps make some suggestions (if it holds any value, I took two years of web design and have been working with HTML5 for a while - I also made a website [a shabby one, about a year and a half ago] for Grimind.)
Do you know how to use git/mercurial? That's what we use for version control.
kroltan wrote:Entity is working on multiplayer, Nin on a decent Java launcher.
He's doing it in Java?? I thought we were doing it in Unity?
LoneRanger wrote:Ah, I gotcha. It would indeed be cool, but I mean, the last post was over a month ago. Was a page actually developed or did the project die out again?
Obviously I've been slightly out of the loop a little haha, I've been on vacation a bit so some decisions were made without me. I'm not sure why the homepage was taken down though.
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger »

Entity wrote:Do you know how to use git/mercurial? That's what we use for version control.

Didn't until now. It seems relatively easy to work with - I'll mess with it a little more and try to pop up my own repository to tinker with just so I can get it all straight. Working with this particular project, however, shouldn't be so complicated, and I'll get the hang of it. :)
Entity wrote:Obviously I've been slightly out of the loop a little haha, I've been on vacation a bit so some decisions were made without me. I'm not sure why the homepage was taken down though.
I believe that's the main issue with really centralizing all of this and getting things moving - everybody is either occupied with personal lives or too disinterested to contribute. Not to bag on him, but WFH is always quite busy with his own life and even you, with the amount of activity you famously have here, cannot help but be busy most of the time. I think this stems from the lack of freedom most of us have and the fact that since this is a community-run project and not a full-time job, nobody is really capable of handling such a large revival project. I must admit I will be leaving in a few days for a 12-day camp and won't be available then either, and I will again be leaving from July 15th for a few weeks for yet another trip. In the time between those two absences, however, I'd definitely be happy to help out in working on whatever is necessary.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

Entity wrote: He's doing it in Java?? I thought we were doing it in Unity?
Yes, why exactly are we choosing Java? Not that I'm against it, I just think it's a little odd considering Atmosphir was (has mostly been) in Unity as of late. Not that the two can't correlate.

If it's simply due to ease of work and access, I completely understand why someone more familiar with one would choose it over the other. Just curious is all. :3
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
Flameforlife

Post by Flameforlife »

I really enjoy being a part of this community for whatever reason, and I do agree on everything you say.
1) Admins, yep. I nominate the same people. I understand being in college is busy, and handling a gaming community isn't helping keeping your schedule clear. Three to four months of free time (If you have summers off) isn't really gonna work here. WowFun, we all really like you, but worry about the important stuff, and only that.
2) HOMEPAGE HOMEPAGE HOMEPAGE YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES
3) Level page, yeeeeah boi.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

I don't have the summer off; I'm doing an internship. I had the first couple weeks off which is why I spent that time doing the header and stuff.

But that's okay, because all of this stuff—the home page, the online level browser, even the freaking MC server—is in the hands of other people. They're working on it, but they're doing it in their free time, so let them move at their own pace.

Also, I do know that the reason they went with Java for the launcher is because if they use the free version of Unity, the launcher will have a Unity splash screen every time it's started, and they want it to look identical to the old one.
kroltan
Developer

Post by kroltan »

[26/05/2014 21:56:58 | Editado 21:57:45] Nin: Nah nothing. Also, I tried fixing the launcher thread issue, but I can't help but wonder if we should use C# (let alone .NET 4) to build the launcher. In terms of portability, Unity might be better. Technically, the launcher WAS also made in Unity.
[26/05/2014 21:57:44] Adam (Entity): true, true
[26/05/2014 22:00:32] Adam (Entity): yeah that's a good idea. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get the logo to spin in Mono
[26/05/2014 22:04:31] Nin: So, Unity then yes (assuming that the free version will do what we need it to)? Just to double-check. This would be the third time we are rebuilding the launcher and I don't want us changing our minds later down the road.
[26/05/2014 22:06:50] Adam (Entity): wait
[26/05/2014 22:07:08] Adam (Entity): the free version of Unity exports with an opening Unity screen
[26/05/2014 22:07:23] Adam (Entity): it displays the Unity logo for like five seconds and then fades out and loads whatever your game is
[26/05/2014 22:07:26] Adam (Entity): or launcher in our case
[26/05/2014 22:10:37] Adam (Entity): what about making it in Java?
[26/05/2014 22:14:55] Adam (Entity): we could make it to support really old version of Java just in case
[26/05/2014 22:16:23 | Editado 22:20:57] Nin: Does atmosphir have any dependencies? Mono? I just don't like the idea of potentially having users download two different dependencies to play the game. Java + Mono. But then again, Atmosphir might not need any dependencies. That being said, Java is a pretty reasonable alternative.
[26/05/2014 22:19:53 | Editado 22:20:12] Adam (Entity): nope I'm like 98% sure it doesn't
[26/05/2014 22:20:08] Adam (Entity): it comes packaged with all the binaries it needs
[26/05/2014 22:26:17] Nin: In that case, it would leave a wrong taste in my mouth knowing that we could have avoided a dependency (Java) if we just used Unity. Idk. What do you think?
[26/05/2014 22:28:16] Adam (Entity): alright that sounds good
[26/05/2014 22:28:32] Adam (Entity): if we can find a way to get rid of the Unity loading screen I'm in :)
[27/05/2014 18:45:20] Nin: So just now, I was able to patch the Unity executable - produced by the free version - so that it wouldn't show the splash screen. We could rely on that trick to make the launcher. Or use Java. Final thoughts?
[27/05/2014 18:46:13 | Editado 18:46:14] Leonardo (Kroltan): Java, I don't like how hacking Unity sounds
[27/05/2014 18:46:30] Leonardo (Kroltan): I've seen them take down a lot of minor games for that
[27/05/2014 18:53:42 | Editado 18:58:22] Nin: I just don't like having dependencies if we can avoid it. Technically we could also just modify the launcher dll like I did with the game dll and avoid Java. That would take up a lot of time however.

I'm just worried that some of Atmosphir's marketed audience (which includes students on old school computers) won't be able play it. But I suppose its' best not to worry about that and just use Java.
[27/05/2014 19:19:20 | Editado 19:20:01] Leonardo (Kroltan): well, Java is pretty widely used nowadays, and for the few users that don't have it, it's a well known software that is usually trusted
[27/05/2014 19:20:31] Leonardo (Kroltan): you *could* use Mono itself, link to the DLLs present in the game and be happy
[27/05/2014 19:21:01 | Editado 19:21:22] Leonardo (Kroltan): but then there's the problem of having a Apple computer to compile it for mac (with Unity too, but w/e)
[27/05/2014 19:45:44] Adam (Entity): yeah, almost /everyone/ has Java installed
[27/05/2014 19:46:00] Adam (Entity): if a computer doesn't (or can't) have Java installed, how well is Atmosphir going to work on it?
[27/05/2014 19:46:18] Adam (Entity): but that's just my 2 cents
[27/05/2014 19:53:06] Nin: Alright. Let me first try and see if I can get the current launcher working. If i remember correctly, the only reason we started rebuilding the launcher was because it would be easier to deal with our own launcher rather than make the current launcher work. If I can't get the current launcher working, I'll get started on a Java launcher and commit it on github.
[27/05/2014 19:54:21] Adam (Entity): alright
[27/05/2014 20:13:06] Adam (Entity): I'll work on multiplayer
[27/05/2014 20:13:27] Nin: oh ok cool!
[27/05/2014 21:00:02] Jonathan (Wowfunhappy): This might be dumb
[27/05/2014 21:00:08] Jonathan (Wowfunhappy): but my preference would be leaning away from Java
[27/05/2014 21:00:24] Jonathan (Wowfunhappy): mainly because of that dumb ask jeeves toolbar they bundle with all their freaking installers
[27/05/2014 21:00:40] Leonardo (Kroltan): lol
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

Wowfunhappy wrote: Also, I do know that the reason they went with Java for the launcher is because if they use the free version of Unity, the launcher will have a Unity splash screen every time it's started, and they want it to look identical to the old one.
Okay, makes sense enough. Thanks for the reasoning.
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.