The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Talk ≠ Action

A place to talk about our community
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ThatOneFox »

ElectroYoshi wrote:Sorry to double post, I just wanted this to be a little more public.

I'm toying with the idea of churning out a provisional Atmosphir-based blog under my Weebly account when I get home from school this afternoon. Thoughts?
Issue is, all the editorial staff would need to be able to post on it instantly, henceforth a better platform would be wordpress.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Can we not set up a wordpress blog now? http://onemoreblock.com/blog is free, and whoever set it up could add a "forum" navigation element.

I know I could do it, and I'm sure Nin, Kroltan, Sebane and maybe others could do it as well. We'd just need FTP access and access to the mysql database.

The ES members, the people working on Troposphir and the mods could all have admin accounts for posting their respective announcements (LOTW, server updates, community updates).
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

StreetLights wrote:Issue is, all the editorial staff would need to be able to post on it instantly, henceforth a better platform would be wordpress.
True, I was just throwing the idea out there. It's just there in case we need it.

Edit: Did you guys buy the OMB blog domain already? I just clicked the link to that and it gave me a "this URL has been purchased" message.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Onemoreblock.com is the domain so yeah, wowfun has owned that for a long time. /blog is just a folder, so to speak, on that domain. But it has nothing in it so it displays the default page... which is outdated apparently :P
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Ohhhhhh, I see. I was a bit confused. :P
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

It'd probably be wise to find some way to embed it into the site somehow, but that's nice Entity. :P
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

That was just an example. But yeah, obviously it would be embedded in the site.

EDIT: Oops, I think I deleted my post. Electro's not crazy I swear xD

I have a question though... do we really need another admin? Even just two or three moderators is really all that's necessary to run the site, and Phantom is basically the acting admin. For everything we're talking about (a blog and homepage), that can be done with simple FTP access pretty much.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Entity wrote:I have a question though... do we really need another admin? Even just two or three moderators is really all that's necessary to run the site, and Phantom is basically the acting admin. For everything we're talking about (a blog and homepage), that can be done with simple FTP access pretty much.
That's very true, I think Phantom said awhile back that he actually has admin privileges (Phantom, if you're reading this, correct me if I'm wrong).

I think the main reason demand for another admin is so high is because the "admin" is usually in charge of the "big stuff" (Forum rules, hiring moderators, stuff like that). Wowfun is in charge of that sort of thing, and even though he's been on here more than usual lately, his activity is still fairly sporadic, so it'd be nice to have a cushion to fall back on.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Entity wrote: EDIT: Oops, I think I deleted my post. Electro's not crazy I swear xD
Put it back for you :P

Yeah, Phantom does have some admin privileges on the forum, but he doesn't have access to the actual website. If wowfun could give us FTP details, then yeah, it'd be simple to organize everything like you guys want.

Also, like Yoshi said, having admin privileges and being a full-blown admin isn't the same thing. He can do a lot of stuff, but only with authorization and while he has the possibility of doing many things, he can't because, well, he's not an actual admin :P
Swords761

Post by Swords761 »

I think we should just move to phpBB, since it's free and open source and widely supported. I'm sure we could get the same amount of customization and power through the many plugins available. XenForo is nice and all, but is it really necessary?
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

At this time would moving to another forum software really be ideal? I mean, all the posts and stuff that have been posted here would be lost since you can't really transfer everything from one forum software to another (or so I'm aware)
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

bionicnacho wrote:At this time would moving to another forum software really be ideal? I mean, all the posts and stuff that have been posted here would be lost since you can't really transfer everything from one forum software to another (or so I'm aware)

This. Well, that and the fact that I don't THINK you can transfer a site from one software to another without just making a new one altogether.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

ElectroYoshi wrote:That's very true, I think Phantom said awhile back that he actually has admin privileges (Phantom, if you're reading this, correct me if I'm wrong).
Partly true, I have access to a admin control panel. Which, outside of editing admin privileges, I think is fairly full featured. In regards to a new administrator, I won't force myself into that position if the community feels it isn't a right fit. I would feel much more comfortable if the community decides it does wont another administrator, if everyone agreed they filled the job well :)
kroltan
Developer

Post by kroltan »

I don't think we need a new forum software, XenForo is doing its job pretty well, and I don't think the OMB visual theme exists for any other software. As long as the person managing the homepage doesn't blow anything up, we should be fine. As for that, if WFH is around, I already have a first version of the page to release. It supports leaderboards, comments and ratings, currently in a read-only fashion because it doesn't integrate logins with the game yet.
Swords761

Post by Swords761 »

ElectroYoshi wrote:This. Well, that and the fact that I don't THINK you can transfer a site from one software to another without just making a new one altogether.
I thought of this before I posted: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p13342078

But the main point of the suggestion was because the license expired, which means we have no support if something were to go wrong.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

kroltan wrote:it doesn't integrate logins with the game yet.
So I'm guessing you're gonna need to get this taken care of before the browser can actually be published, correct? Because I was wondering about this, and I really think such integration would be well worth the extra waiting time.

Also, while I'm here (and this is directed at no one in particular), is there anything new to report on the blog or the new admin? I haven't heard anything about that in awhile...
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

ElectroYoshi wrote:So I'm guessing you're gonna need to get this taken care of before the browser can actually be published, correct? Because I was wondering about this, and I really think such integration would be well worth the extra waiting time.
I think the issue is that we simply don't have access to the server. It sounds like Nin has restricted access to certain parts, but not the parts we'd need to add a homepage or blog.
ElectroYoshi wrote:Also, while I'm here (and this is directed at no one in particular), is there anything new to report on the blog or the new admin? I haven't heard anything about that in awhile...
That last I heard was someone was going to talk to wowfun :P Nothing happened since then.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Entity wrote:
That last I heard was someone was going to talk to wowfun :P Nothing happened since then.
As per usual then...
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Entity wrote:That last I heard was someone was going to talk to wowfun :P Nothing happened since then.
The impression I got, at least from Wowfun's last post was that he is still working under a tight schedule and while he is in full support of additions to the site, we will need to approach him (or another/new admin, but I will come back to that) with our ideas and tests to actually add the additions and pages to the published site.
ElectroYoshi wrote: Also, while I'm here (and this is directed at no one in particular), is there anything new to report on the blog or the new admin? I haven't heard anything about that in awhile...
In regards to another administrator on the site, I am going to place my vote/honest opinion towards Kroltan - with possible assistance from other tech-y supportive pals around the forum like Nin, Entity and the like :) My thought would be that he wouldn't have to undertake the responsibilities of moderation, so that he would have the time to lead a sort of "Forum Development Team" if that makes any sense.

Kroltan, this is just my thought. I would entirely understand if you, or the community, have a different thought. However, I felt that with the work you've done, along with being able to contact the others who have been working on the Atmosphir project, it would kind of make sense if you had access to the admin control panel on the site. So, while this isn't a position offer and would need to be discussed and brought up to Wowfun, I think it may be at least a thought!

What do you guys think?