The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Papaya Has Common Sense

A place to talk about our community
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Dat bump.
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
ethanciavo

Post by ethanciavo »

Miniike wrote:Dat bump.
I only bumped it because this is still an important topic. Would you rather me bump it or make a different thread that is exactly the same.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

ethanciavo wrote:I only bumped it because this is still an important topic. Would you rather me bump it or make a different thread that is exactly the same.
No, it's fine, but I'm not sure how much more disscusion will/can happen here.
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
papaya
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by papaya »

with the voxelus forum down, there's not a lot that can be discussed because the argument isnt there
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

ethanciavo wrote:As edgy as papaya's posts may be, he does bring up a point. Sure we may all be impatient, but in a case like this we really need to gain momentum. I have barely seen any levels coming out, which is not a good thing. This community is going nowhere.
If papaya's argument isn't there because the Voxelus forum was taken down, what exactly are you referring to?
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

ethanciavo wrote:As edgy as papaya's posts may be, he does bring up a point. Sure we may all be impatient, but in a case like this we really need to gain momentum. I have barely seen any levels coming out, which is not a good thing. This community is going nowhere.

Look, niche communities like this are not exactly famous for having a ton of content released on a daily basis. It's not as simple as "get more people designing". People need to have three things in order to make levels:

1) An idea for what exactly they want to make
2) The willingness to put forth effort to making it
3) The time needed to actually get it made

If they lack any of these things, they're not going to design anything, and we can't change that. Yes, I know new content has been rare, but that's how it is in these niche communities. It's not going to be booming until we can attract more people.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

I mostly lack 2 lol
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

I'll be honest. I don't see myself designing with Atmosphir again. Having the knowledge to make my own games from scratch, has led me to building content via the Unity engine.
papaya

Post by papaya »

ElectroYoshi wrote:Look, niche communities like this are not exactly famous for having a ton of content released on a daily basis. It's not as simple as "get more people designing". People need to have three things in order to make levels:

1) An idea for what exactly they want to make
2) The willingness to put forth effort to making it
3) The time needed to actually get it made

If they lack any of these things, they're not going to design anything, and we can't change that. Yes, I know new content has been rare, but that's how it is in these niche communities. It's not going to be booming until we can attract more people.

I'm a member of one or two rollercoaster tycoon 1/2 forums, and it's true that there's not a lot of fully finished parks being released.
However, there is often a load of small screenshots or small work in progress designs released. I never see any of those.

however, the stuff that is produced is consistently good. Seriously good.
I would be more than happy for the production of levels to be slowed down, if it meant an increase in quality. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened.

when you're more interested in using the forums for it rather than playing the game, is there a flaw with the game or with you?
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

The reason I'm not designing is the lack of multiplayer. That would get me designing.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

papaya wrote:I'm a member of one or two rollercoaster tycoon 1/2 forums, and it's true that there's not a lot of fully finished parks being released.
However, there is often a load of small screenshots or small work in progress designs released. I never see any of those.

however, the stuff that is produced is consistently good. Seriously good.
I would be more than happy for the production of levels to be slowed down, if it meant an increase in quality. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened.

when you're more interested in using the forums for it rather than playing the game, is there a flaw with the game or with you?
Flaws with you/the game aren't really the issue here though. The issue here is sacrificing quality for quantity's sake. The amount of content on the play browser makes no difference if said content is not good enough to keep people engaged. I, for one, have higher standards for my own designs now, so now it takes me a lot longer to make levels I'm happy with. If someone tries to make a level quickly, it ends up being either a) just some floating blocks, or b) so short that it looks more like a proof of concept than a full fledged level. That's sacrificing quality for quantity's sake, and people who are willing to do that just aren't that common.

Ultimately, you have to ask yourself: How much quality are you willing to sacrifice through a demand of new content? Perhaps more importantly, to what extent are you willing to have designers sell themselves short to meet that demand? Because I'd much rather have a play browser with 10 great levels than 50 mediocre ones.

I agree the play browser would benefit from more content, but as it stands now, I think what we have now is gonna have to do in the meantime.
papaya

Post by papaya »

thing is, I'm not seeing great levels or mediocre ones.

not like it's hard to make a decent length level. You can add artificial length by just reducing the walkspeed to nothing, and who cares if it's a proof of concept? One of my favourite levels on the new browser is that 20 minute level by JohnWrek. It's fast, it's quick and I can play it a few times if I really wanted to.

although I suppose the rct comparison isn't a good one since those forums have a couple hundred active users rather than 10.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Yeah, that's kind of what I was saying earlier. If you want a lot of new content from a small community such as this, chances are you're gonna be spending a lot of time playing the waiting game.