The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Omb, May I Have A Word With You?

A place to talk about our community
tta

Post by tta »

no, it's not just me; don't try and make it like i'm the bad pessimist. what i said was a possible explanation as to why people haven't been the way you want them to be recently. we don't really have much to lose because we have so little.

you say these people are like your family, but even family changes.
Gtarmetro

Post by Gtarmetro »

Well I'm done talking with people who make me feel like I've never been born. You win.
Backing Keyboardist, Rhythm Guitar, and Harmony for Zach Seabaugh Band
Private Contractor @ Concert Music in Murfreesboro, TN
Desk Assistant @ MTSU
//Just trying to make a living doing what I love
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

My thought is this, if you are unhappy with something - it can be moderation, it can be a user, it can anything, please just send me a conversation and I would be happy to talk what your issues are. I fully understand when someone dislikes my moderation, I understand when people don't like me - just contact me and over the course of replies we can figure something out, even if that is just a suggestion passed.

Electro, I had only kind of wish you sent the concerns to me earlier - I likely could have done something on the spot.

Let's not let any drama pull at our relations. If someone/thing is upsetting you, please let me know.
tta

Post by tta »

Gtarmetro wrote:Well I'm done talking with people who make me feel like I've never been born. You win.

gtar if you are offended upset and depressed and you feel like you've never been born because of what some weenie teens say on this forum then that is a personal problem and you need to leave the internet FAST because things will only get worse
Gtarmetro

Post by Gtarmetro »

tta wrote:gtar if you are offended upset and depressed and you feel like you've never been born because of what some weenie teens say on this forum then that is a personal problem and you need to leave the internet FAST because things will only get worse
Likewise. You win.
Backing Keyboardist, Rhythm Guitar, and Harmony for Zach Seabaugh Band
Private Contractor @ Concert Music in Murfreesboro, TN
Desk Assistant @ MTSU
//Just trying to make a living doing what I love
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

In regards to that, I think it is in many ways up to the consensus of the community - both through reports and moderation to differentiate rather or not what some users say is justified and should be housed by the community. Saying that people simply shouldn't get offended shouldn't be a justification to lessen what the community does and doesn't accept.

I've always liked the impression that, if you wouldn't say something directly to someone's face, then it shouldn't be said to someone via a forum post. I know that logic does not apply to every situations, very few rules do, but it is something to at least keep in mind.
Jamesski

Post by Jamesski »

sounds a bit similar... hmm!

Posts Merged:
the community as got a lot more harsh to the younger community and I feel less comfortable here! I'm sorry.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I am sorry to hear that Jamesski. Feel free to send me a conversation if there is anything that is making you feel uncomfortable, I am interested in hearing that. To be honest, I haven't been overly happy with the removal of the restriction on expletives. Essentially what I feared was that it kind of supplements negativity and creates an atmosphere that, I genuinely don't really like when they are over used. Soo.. uh, I should really know when to listen.
tta

Post by tta »

Phantomboy wrote:I haven't been overly happy with the removal of the restriction on expletives.
aw shit
DvChayz

Post by DvChayz »

Gtarmetro wrote:Well everyone was nice and caring for one another. It was my paradise. Nowadays everyone is so hateful, just like other forums. The whole attitude of this site has changed from "Old Friends Meet Again" to "The Blue Meanie".
being nice and caring has nothing to do with maturity, something could be the cruelest person in the world and still be mature, and someone could be really kind and be immature. maturity is your wisdom and knowledge of things, not how kind you are.
anyways, remember that the internet isn't a kind place for you to go when you need help from bullying in real life or when you wanted to be treated well. thats what parents and friends are for, not a public internet forum.
another thing, giving helpful feedback on a level that can be used to make you a better designer is not hate or "bullying". its what makes you a better designer. sugarcoating isn't going to help you become better at something.

@Jamesski, if you really do feel you have become the victim of meanies, then leave, nobody is forcing you to stay, remember that the world isn't a kind place, and if you can't take criticism then you're not prepared for the real world, i'm sorry, its the truth.

@Phantom on cursing, i don't see the point in removing curse words or being unhappy about it, unless your religious and grew up to believe that curse words are satans spawn, then there is no reason to make a big deal out of it. (and if you are one of those people, go to a christian gaming form, there are a lot of those out there.) society tells us that curse words are the most EVIL WORDS IN EXISTENCE, and i think thats bs.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

DvChayz wrote: @Jamesski, if you really do feel you have become the victim of meanies, then leave, nobody is forcing you to stay, remember that the world isn't a kind place, and if you can't take criticism then you're not prepared for the real world, i'm sorry, its the truth.

@Phantom on cursing, i don't see the point in removing curse words or being unhappy about it, unless your religious and grew up to believe that curse words are satans spawn, then there is no reason to make a big deal out of it. (and if you are one of those people, go to a christian gaming form, there are a lot of those out there.) society tells us that curse words are the most EVIL WORDS IN EXISTENCE, and i think thats bs.
Firstly, leaving cannot be a simple resolve. Especially when discussing improving the website, both on a moderation and user side. I personally believe it is a flawed impression to say that the only resolve to being a victim is to flee. In my opinion, a proper community is one that can be open, positive and most of all kind to one another - that isn't to say they cannot be critical, but rudeness isn't an inevitable emotion.

Secondly, this is irrelevant but I am not religious. Regardless of my personal creed. I dislike the current use of curse words not because I dislike the words, but because of the general community atmosphere that they often facilitate. So, there words aren't evil - I never implied that they were, it is rather how they are handled.
Jamesski

Post by Jamesski »

DvChayz wrote:being nice and caring has nothing to do with maturity, something could be the cruelest person in the world and still be mature, and someone could be really kind and be immature. maturity is your wisdom and knowledge of things, not how kind you are.
anyways, remember that the internet isn't a kind place for you to go when you need help from bullying in real life or when you wanted to be treated well. thats what parents and friends are for, not a public internet forum.
another thing, giving helpful feedback on a level that can be used to make you a better designer is not hate or "bullying". its what makes you a better designer. sugarcoating isn't going to help you become better at something.

@Jamesski, if you really do feel you have become the victim of meanies, then leave, nobody is forcing you to stay, remember that the world isn't a kind place, and if you can't take criticism then you're not prepared for the real world, i'm sorry, its the truth.

well i guess you want me to leave because you hate me it sounds like and my creations!
DvChayz

Post by DvChayz »

thats not what i said
at all
learn to read
Phantomboy wrote:Firstly, leaving cannot be a simple resolve. Especially when discussing improving the website, both on a moderation and user side. I personally believe it is a flawed impression to say that the only resolve to being a victim is to flee. In my opinion, a proper community is one that can be open, positive and most of all kind to one another - that isn't to say they cannot be critical, but rudeness isn't an inevitable emotion.

Secondly, this is irrelevant but I am not religious. Regardless of my personal creed. I dislike the current use of curse words not because I dislike the words, but because of the general community atmosphere that they often facilitate. So, there words aren't evil - I never implied that they were, it is rather how they are handled.
i was just making a point, phantomboy, not really telling him to leave. and since when was anyone being rude when it comes to criticizing level? maybe some of them DID come out harsh. (i can't speak for anyone else, but i know mine weren't meant to be rude in any way)

secondly, what if the word "goober" was a curse word in today's society? so instead of papaya using "damnit." he used "goober." sounds silly, right? the exact same goes for curse words. but i agree if you call someone a shit, as in, a piece of crap, then i agree. (damnit isn't really that bad, though. )
papaya
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by papaya »

Gtarmetro wrote:I agree with Entity on this one. I haven't been posting as often because I feel that this forum isn't a mature community anymore.

has it ever been?

look the thing is that with everyone doing this 'o i am leaving' routine and all of us genuinely losing interest in atmosphir, this forum is slowly losing its purpose. Remember voxelus? When it became apparent that there was no game, and we'd all been duped, the quality of posts and the frequency of posts began to dwindle. A similar thing is happening here.
Yes, the quality of posts has gone down recently. That's not because we've all turned into immature people with no desire for serious discourse. It's because we're all posting in pigflags, where such a thing is seriously discouraged. We simply do not have a lot to talk about any more, so we resort to spamming up the place in the one subforum we're allowed to spam. The only active threads outside of pigflags are that RPG thread, and the occasional offtopic news article discussion or gaming gossip legend of zelda discussion.
Hell, people have started posting things that could well go in a more serious forum in pigflags. The funny thing is, usually with forums that have a serious and a non-serious board, it's the non-serious board that leaks over into the serious one and not the other way round.

again, you guys are leaving because people are posting spam on a subforum intended to contain that
please, if anyone feels this isn't the case, i'd love to see a few threads that are not in pigflags but have the quality of discussion of one.

pigflags should be the spam board, not the non-serious discussion board. That windows 9 thread could've been posted in off-topic or technology talk with a bit more information and we could've had a legit argument. Instead, sebane posted it in pigflags, dooming it to a life of mediocre half-assed discussion.
Wazi

Post by Wazi »

Why the fuck?
TheLastLink
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by TheLastLink »

Wazi wrote:Why the fuck?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
beyond the fact that people are getting upset i don't even understand what the problem is

HELP
papaya

Post by papaya »

have you noticed that all of the posts in the OP are by either myself or tta

maybe he's realised we are the dominant alpha males on this board
tta

Post by tta »

the op? you mean the start of the thread?
papaya

Post by papaya »

what else does op mean in that context
tta

Post by tta »

overpowered