The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Omb Suggestion = Improvements On Thread Creation

A place to talk about our community
Gtarmetro

Omb Suggestion = Improvements On Thread Creation

Post by Gtarmetro »

Hey folks,
I've been making threads now and again for quite some time now here on OMB, and I have a few suggestions to improve the thread creation tools. So I decided to make this thread to see what everyone thinks!

1) Embed Widgets in Thread Creation
Now I'm a musician who actively uses SoundCloud, Twitter, etc. Could it be possible to add an embed code to your soundcloud profile, or twitter feed in the future? I don't see any reason not to. XD

2) Not Hiding the BBCode
As of right now, it is quite difficult to add to a pre-existing base discussion without messing some code up. If there was a toggle to make the code data visible, that'd be awesome!

3) Editing Base thread bumps thread
For my musical update thread, everytime I edit the thread I have to post a reply as well to bump the thread and let everyone know that it's updated. If editing the thread would bump the thread, it would stop potential double posts (as I don't get many replies to the update thread, but I know that it's viewed whenever an update happens)

What do you guys think? Please discuss!
Backing Keyboardist, Rhythm Guitar, and Harmony for Zach Seabaugh Band
Private Contractor @ Concert Music in Murfreesboro, TN
Desk Assistant @ MTSU
//Just trying to make a living doing what I love
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ElectroYoshi »

1) I am in full favor of embedding widgets. Embedding stuff is just much nicer to work with because having to wait forever for a link to load can be kind of annoying when all you want is a quick glance at information.

2) Mind explaining this one a bit more? I don't really understand what it's suggesting.

3) Agree completely, I myself have had this problem with my level threads. If given a choice between duplicating a thread and double-posting in it to bump it, I'd choose the latter, but I'm still not a fan of having to do that.

One thing I would like to add here is to maybe give us the option to move our own threads. I don't know if that's possible with XenForo, but asking mods to move your threads all the time can get annoying very quickly.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Gtarmetro

Post by Gtarmetro »

ElectroYoshi wrote:2) Mind explaining this one a bit more? I don't really understand what it's suggesting.
When you go to edit a thread, it looks like how the preview is pretty much. Unless you type out your bbcode.
Desk Assistant @ MTSU
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Ohhhh, OK, that makes sense. I support that too.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I will do some looking into these that you have suggested when I get the chance, if any of you wish to help out as well - feel free to browse Xenforo additions around the websites on the internet :) Let me know what you find, I would be happy to look into things!
Gtarmetro

Post by Gtarmetro »

Phantomboy wrote:I will do some looking into these that you have suggested when I get the chance, if any of you wish to help out as well - feel free to browse Xenforo additions around the websites on the internet :) Let me know what you find, I would be happy to look into things!
Alright thanks!
Desk Assistant @ MTSU
Gtarmetro

Post by Gtarmetro »

Here's some links that I found interesting for the embed idea:
Desk Assistant @ MTSU
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Cheers! I will bring this idea up to Wowfun and the other techy peeps as soon as I can :)
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Alternatively (and this is what I do) you can turn off the rich text editor completely.

As for your other suggestions, I agree completely!
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I've just sent a message off to Wowfunhappy, if I do not hear back in a day or two, I will send an email and hopefully get some form of yes or no to you guys :)
kroltan
Developer

Post by kroltan »

If possible, I'd recommend white-listing specific embeddables, so as new users will not abuse them (arbitrary HTML is dangerous).
It could follow the format of the YouTube embed, with the media button/bbcode:

Code: Select all

[media=soundcloud]drneocortex/the-undead-rise-again-preview[/media]
I'm not sure if that would be possible, though.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Only being able to embed from YouTube kind of defeats the purpose of having a media button in the first place, so that would be nice to have.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

So, I've heard back from Wowfun! He said that it sounds like a fantastic idea. I believe I will need to create an account associated with the official Xenforo forums to download the add-ons.

Something to keep in mind if you are seeking out add-ons to suggest here, we are running on an outdated version of Xenforo ver. 1.0.4 so, anything we find needs to either be built for this version out backwards compatible.

So them be the happenings!
kroltan
Developer

Post by kroltan »

I have found something for SC, but it wasn't tested for this version (it might still work)

[url='http://']http://xenforo.com/community/resources/ ... site.1715/[/url]
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

So, I just found out you need a licensed account to download add-ons. I will need to talk to Wowfun about that, because perhaps he would need to be the one to download the additions.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Phantomboy wrote:So, I just found out you need a licensed account to download add-ons. I will need to talk to Wowfun about that, because perhaps he would need to be the one to download the additions.
Since our license has expired, though, maybe it doesn't really matter who downloads it and we just can't without renewing?
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I like the odds of that being the case. Honestly, I think that license should probably be renewed/replaced if we intend to make any further changes to the forum.