The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

"anonabox" - D'ya Think It's Worth It?

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry

Do you think this is worth the $51?

No
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 1

Jasonmerc

"anonabox" - D'ya Think It's Worth It?

Post by Jasonmerc »

I was cruising the Internet when I came across this interesting little gadget:

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/tiny-box-c ... ng-online/

This little box here is a router, and will automatically route all traffic through Tor, no additional software needed. All you gotta to do is hook it up to a router in the following configuration:

And apparently it isn't just LAN. This thing also supports devices connecting to it wirelessly

Of course, this would slow down your Internet traffic since the data being sent/received has to go through encryption and decryption, and has to travel through a bunch of nodes before reaching you and your intended destination. But as long as your Internet speed is fast, and the Internet speed of the nodes is somewhat fast, you shouldn't notice much of a difference for normal web browsing.

You can get one on IndieGoGo for about 50 bucks:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/anon ... are-router

So for that price, what do you guys think? I myself am a frequent Tor Browser Bundle user (I don't need to be so to speak, but I just am), so I see this as taking it to the next level, as with this I theoretically would not need the Tor Browser Bundle on my computer anymore. Also, I'd be able to use Tor on other devices that do not natively support Tor or have any special software for utilizing the Tor network, like my iPod Touch.
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I don't really browse anonymously very often, so I don't really have much of a use for Tor at all. At the same time though, this is a neat idea, and it kinda gets me wondering why no other browser has anything like this. To be honest, I think it's more trouble than its worth to download Chrome on every single one device you own manually, so if Chrome had something like this I'd jump on it.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Jasonmerc

Post by Jasonmerc »

It would be interesting to see if one could connect an XBox 360/1 or PS3/4 to this device, and see how Tor would affect the smoothness of online gameplay. Anonymous Black Ops 2...

I think I'm going to get this.