The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Honestly Guys, What Happened To Voxelus?

A place to talk about our community
Newah

Post by Newah »

I think Xavier should've been more patient. If they had launched the game, maybe there could have been revenue, THEN xavier could have been payed. Their short-sightedness is horrible to watch. Xavier just decided not to let anyone have the game, and completely shut everything down because of his want for money.

You could argue that Xavier needed money, and was depending on Voxelus for an income, but then he should've just gotten a job on the side, if he didn't already. And I think he already probably did, considering how long development was taking, and the long lags we got.
TheLastLink
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by TheLastLink »

Newah wrote:I think Xavier should've been more patient. If they had launched the game, maybe there could have been revenue, THEN xavier could have been payed. Their short-sightedness is horrible to watch. Xavier just decided not to let anyone have the game, and completely shut everything down because of his want for money.

You could argue that Xavier needed money, and was depending on Voxelus for an income, but then he should've just gotten a job on the side, if he didn't already. And I think he already probably did, considering how long development was taking, and the long lags we got.
(I'm not sure where I heard this, but whatever)
I was told that Xavier quit his job to work on voxelus.
Skyshark

Post by Skyshark »

You could say that everyone involved with Voxelus was short-sighted and desperate: Black Pony for laying all their bets on one man without paying him, Xavier for devoting most of his time to a risky business endeavor and then storming off when it didn't fly, and even us for jumping on a project that was obviously a last-ditch effort to rally the community and then getting disappointed that it failed.

tl;dr, we're all dumb, let's learn from it.
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

@wowfun good point. Quite philosophical on what's actually right and who's to blame. I am not personally going to blame anyone because I don't know as much as many of you may know. I am however, saddened that it never took off.
tta

Post by tta »

I actually agree with skyshark here: Nobody's the villain and nobody's the good guy, everyone made mistakes during Voxelus' run and everyone had their own reasons for doing the things that they did.

I had a feeling that Voxelus would never really "take off":

1: It was obvious that nobody was funding this, so we could see it's demise from a mile away
2: Voxelus had similarities with atleast 5 other games, lack of creative process perhaps?
3: Voxelus, the game as a whole, was 10 times more basic than atmosphir so yeah
4: The last 2 points establish that Voxelus' arrival (The site, not the game) was way too sudden for it to not have been thrown together on a whim in an effort to preserve the community
5: A game that comes too quickly will end quickly.
eXoDuS
Administrator

Post by eXoDuS »

This thing is getting way too much attention. Just to clarify somethings, I didn't quit my job to work on voxelus, I just never got another job after Atmosphir, since Voxelus and many other promised projects from Martin where going to be my income. So I stuck around with him prototyping projects to sell for almost an year, of course eventually I ran out of savings and I had to start working.

At the same time, that had nothing to do with the actual disagreement on Voxelus, I never expected to be paid for the work on Voxelus, but when we started we came to a verbal agreement in which I wouldn't get paid (since he didn't have the money) but I would get shares of both the company and the project. Being the only one behind Voxelus, and the fact that the whole voxel engine was a pet project of mine I did way back before Voxelus started I had some expectations about what that % would be, after months of "waiting" on a formal agreement, they offered me 10% of the game's income, after cutting expenses, and no % on the company. If you quickly make the math, you can see that it's a no-brainer to reject such a proposition, not only I was the only one doing all the work (Martin and Maximo basically have NO development skills so all the did was setup the website, and even ADZ helped with that a lot) but also the "after cutting expenses" could mean that not only I was getting a shitty cut, but I could also get nothing at all.

So stop speculating or drawing out conclusions, it's no one's fault, just a business deal that never took off, the only mistake here was that they promised something they didn't have.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

eXoDuS wrote:This thing is getting way too much attention. Just to clarify somethings, I didn't quit my job to work on voxelus, I just never got another job after Atmosphir, since Voxelus and many other promised projects from Martin where going to be my income. So I stuck around with him prototyping projects to sell for almost an year, of course eventually I ran out of savings and I had to start working.

At the same time, that had nothing to do with the actual disagreement on Voxelus, I never expected to be paid for the work on Voxelus, but when we started we came to a verbal agreement in which I wouldn't get paid (since he didn't have the money) but I would get shares of both the company and the project. Being the only one behind Voxelus, and the fact that the whole voxel engine was a pet project of mine I did way back before Voxelus started I had some expectations about what that % would be, after months of "waiting" on a formal agreement, they offered me 10% of the game's income, after cutting expenses, and no % on the company. If you quickly make the math, you can see that it's a no-brainer to reject such a proposition, not only I was the only one doing all the work (Martin and Maximo basically have NO development skills so all the did was setup the website, and even ADZ helped with that a lot) but also the "after cutting expenses" could mean that not only I was getting a ****** cut, but I could also get nothing at all.

So stop speculating or drawing out conclusions, it's no one's fault, just a business deal that never took off, the only mistake here was that they promised something they didn't have.
Oh i understand now.

Is there any chance that you will continue working on the game, even though the process will be much slower?
eXoDuS
Administrator

Post by eXoDuS »

Maybe :)
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

eXoDuS wrote:Maybe :)
Awesome :D
Lysander789

Post by Lysander789 »

eXoDuS wrote:His long explanation.
Thanks for the clarification. All this time we thought it was just a "heated" argument about financial conflicts and stuff. If you told us this earlier in this fashion, I'd be like:

And that my kiddies is why some sites need a serious "Donate" button.
Newah

Post by Newah »

eXoDuS wrote:This thing is getting way too much attention. Just to clarify somethings, I didn't quit my job to work on voxelus....
Ah, well that makes sense. Sorry if I misjudged you. :)
SirWrek
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by SirWrek »

Miniike wrote: I AM DISAPPOINT.
My thoughts.
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
totaldile

Post by totaldile »

eXoDuS wrote:This thing is getting way too much attention. Just to clarify somethings, I didn't quit my job to work on voxelus, I just never got another job after Atmosphir, since Voxelus and many other promised projects from Martin where going to be my income. So I stuck around with him prototyping projects to sell for almost an year, of course eventually I ran out of savings and I had to start working.

At the same time, that had nothing to do with the actual disagreement on Voxelus, I never expected to be paid for the work on Voxelus, but when we started we came to a verbal agreement in which I wouldn't get paid (since he didn't have the money) but I would get shares of both the company and the project. Being the only one behind Voxelus, and the fact that the whole voxel engine was a pet project of mine I did way back before Voxelus started I had some expectations about what that % would be, after months of "waiting" on a formal agreement, they offered me 10% of the game's income, after cutting expenses, and no % on the company. If you quickly make the math, you can see that it's a no-brainer to reject such a proposition, not only I was the only one doing all the work (Martin and Maximo basically have NO development skills so all the did was setup the website, and even ADZ helped with that a lot) but also the "after cutting expenses" could mean that not only I was getting a ****** cut, but I could also get nothing at all.

Glad to hear the full and proper explanation, clearing up any misunderstandings. Thanks, mate :)