The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Everyone, I Have A Proposition.

A place to talk about our community
tta

Everyone, I Have A Proposition.

Post by tta »

The OMB forums should look more like the voxelus forums/early atmosphir forums.

If you compare the layouts, you'll see that the OMB forum layout is too bubbly and squished in, making it look less like a professional forum.

do it now
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

I actually like the current look.

I never liked the way the Voxelus one did. Atmosphir's was ok, though.
EyceKubes

Post by EyceKubes »

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about the way the Forums are designed unless you purchase completely different forum software. The only thing you can do here is just change the color scheme and minor appearance changes. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the current one, but it's not terrible. You can see the Forum Software here and the current skin here.
Lysander789

Post by Lysander789 »

Actually, none of us had a problem with this layout to begin with. I find it more attractive and smooth than the other layouts you mentioned. If this was an option as a choose-able skin for the website layout, that would be WICKED! However, requesting to change the WHOLE layout of the website is a bit counter-intuitive for the rest of us. One silly thread isn't enough to convince the staff to redesign an already stable website people are used to so much.
tta

Post by tta »

What about the Voxelus' forum engine, or was that just custom?

Also, I posted this this thread to see what people thought about this, "do it now" was put in a joking manner.
Adz
Administrator

Post by Adz »

The Voxelus forums used SMF. Which, despite being quite a bit more customizable (not just in terms of looks, but functionality also), the backend was insanely unreliable and unstable
SMF was also what the classic Atmosphir forums ran on. Again, they looked great, but behind the scenes everything was patched together with workarounds and half broken functionality.

XenForo is faaaar more stable, simpler to use, and generally nicer to work with as an admin.
tta

Post by tta »

Hm. Thanks for clearing that up!
kaiserg

Post by kaiserg »

As long as forums do their job of allowing like-minded people to exchange their ideas without fault, I don't mind what the forums look like. The only thing I really do miss from the old forums is the "mark all posts as read" button. That thing was awesome.
Zetta

Post by Zetta »

Oh konichiwa kaiserg-sama it's nice to see you again!! ^_^

personally i thik there should be a theme for lucky stars because that anime is AWESOME!! lol
kaiserg

Post by kaiserg »

Zetta wrote:Oh kaiserg.
You have no idea what you are in for.
I was referring to the technical side of things. I'd certainly hate to deal with a weekly Tuesday afternoon downtime. I'm already aware of the fact that we all hate each other, and will immediately reject opinions that challenge the ones we currently hold.
tta

Post by tta »

kaiserg wrote:I was referring to the technical side of things. I'd certainly hate to deal with a weekly Tuesday afternoon downtime. I'm already aware of the fact that we all hate each other, and will immediately reject opinions that challenge the ones we currently hold.
Where'd that come from?
SirWrek
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by SirWrek »

bionicnacho wrote:I actually like the current look.

Blasphemy.

Also...
kaiserg wrote:I was referring to the technical side of things. I'd certainly hate to deal with a weekly Tuesday afternoon downtime. I'm already aware of the fact that we all hate each other, and will immediately reject opinions that challenge the ones we currently hold.
This. This. This.

0_0
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
tta

Post by tta »

I still don't get what's going on here
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

I like the look of this forum and its functionality. And also rich text formatting is sooo nice!
kaiserg

Post by kaiserg »

tta wrote:I still don't get what's going on here
Sarcasm. I use it too much. I probably should get therapy for it. And the Tuesday thing was a reference to the Stratosphir forums in which they would go down every Tuesday.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by SirWrek »

kaiserg wrote:Sarcasm. I use it too much. I probably should get therapy for it. And the Tuesday thing was a reference to the Stratosphir forums in which they would go down every Tuesday.
In which they would go down many times in one day, but oh well- that's SMF for you. >:
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
tta

Post by tta »

kaiserg wrote:Sarcasm. I use it too much. I probably should get therapy for it. And the Tuesday thing was a reference to the Stratosphir forums in which they would go down every Tuesday.
No, I mean, where did that COME from? "kaiserg-san-sama :3" then all of the sudden "I was referring to the technical side of things, everyone hates eachother."
Echo

Post by Echo »

Wuuu, theses forums are much more sexier then the Atmo/Voxelus forums.
winningkill

Post by winningkill »

bionicnacho wrote:I actually like the current look.

Echo wrote:Wuuu, theses forums are much more sexier then the Atmo/Voxelus forums.
I agree with both of you, meaning leave the site how it is.