The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Computer Languages/game Engines?

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry
Miniike

Computer Languages/game Engines?

Post by Miniike »

Hi guys!

I'm currently learning programming, mostly C++, hopefully leading to video game development. For those of you who have experience with this type of thing, what are the best computer languages and engines to use for game development? I'm considering Java and Unity. What do you suggest?

~Miniike
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

I use Unity for its simplicity and it can give some really good results.

Although, i've never tried Java
luke5227

Post by luke5227 »

Java could be a good starter although if you don't enjoy programming a ton you can always try GameSalad.
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

luke5227 wrote:Java could be a good starter although if you don't enjoy programming a ton you can always try GameSalad.
The only issue with GameSalad, in the end its less efficient using a visual IDE for everything. Also, you'll be limited to any bugs the visual IDE generates.

In terms of programming languages, C++ will perform faster, though it takes longer to code a C++ program or game. However, it truly depends on what you wan't to do. C# and VB are quicker to code with (used with unity), GameSalad removes the need to know any code syntax and C/C++ runs faster. In terms of Java, I can't really list its pro's or cons.

One could create a game with stealth, simplicity, or greater performance.
freekboy31

Post by freekboy31 »

I'm going to learn LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) and also PHP because it's a coding language among the four software. Those four can make a web server.
:crate: :atmobot: coming soon..... :sentrybot:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :monkeyblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:

Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Don't use Java. Slow language is slow.

Just take a look at Minecraft. Minecraft doesn't look bad- it's pixelated-retro style has a definite charm- but it's not a game which should be graphically intensive. And yet, it IS graphically intensive.

Behold the wonders of making a game in Java...
Echo

Post by Echo »

Wowfunhappy wrote:Don't use Java. Slow language is slow.

Just take a look at Minecraft. Minecraft doesn't look bad- it's pixelated-retro style has a definite charm- but it's not a game which should be graphically intensive. And yet, it IS graphically intensive.

Behold the wonders of making a game in Java...
True that, it's ridiculous. Although some of it could be lack of optimization.
Swords761

Post by Swords761 »

Java also has some serious security vulnerabilities and is becoming less and less respected every day. It's only saving grace is the wide distribution across thousands of devices (cars, phones, planes, etc.) that are relied on by millions of people.

Python is all the rage these days- you should learn that if you're interested. Learn C/#/++ too, C is always a good language to know. Unity is definitely a good program to use, there are tons of asset libraries you can download for free to help you make a project too. I had someone recommend Processing to me the other day as well, which is a sort of sketchbook of prototypes/ideas coded in C.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

So from what I'm seeing, I should use Unity and C++. Thanks for your suggestions, guys!
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

Miniike wrote:So from what I'm seeing, I should use Unity and C++. Thanks for your suggestions, guys!
Mind you, Unity only uses .net languages (C#, VB).
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Sebastian Lawe wrote:Mind you, Unity only uses .net languages (C#, VB).
Darn.
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

Miniike wrote:Darn.
If you looking for a C++ game engine check out the Unreal Engine.
boberto

Post by boberto »

I'm going to be taking Computer Science next year and apparently we will be learning how to program with Java, rather than C++ which used to be used. :|
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Sebastian Lawe wrote:If you looking for a C++ game engine check out the Unreal Engine.
Looks pretty good, might test it out.
eXoDuS
Administrator

Post by eXoDuS »

Thought I would chime in a lil bit here.

First of all don't confuse Java with a game-engine, the fact that minecraft is written in Java does not mean Java is a game engine. Java is a bytecode/interpreted language very similar to C# in concept. Although it's very used in the business world mostly for the big companies behind it and it's "certified developers" it's not a very good language in many aspects, and it's generally considered slow.

On the other hand Unity is a game engine, written on C++ like most engines out there.

If you really want to get into game development C++ is the way to go, specially if you want to do techy savy stuff.

As for Minecraft not behind graphics intensive... what makes you think that? Minecraft IS enormously graphics intensive. Of course it could probably perform better since just from the notion of it being programmed in Java by a single guy with no background I'm assuming it doesn't have much of a graphics engine behind, but still, Minecraft IS graphics intensive. Video cards these days are all about optimizing the fill rate and the PS stages, Minecraft uses none of that, instead it throws tons of triangles in separate draw calls at the video card, and it chokes.

Tata
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Well that's interesting. I wonder if we'll ever see Minecraft optimized video cards.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

eXoDuS wrote:Thought I would chime in a lil bit here.

First of all don't confuse Java with a game-engine, the fact that minecraft is written in Java does not mean Java is a game engine. Java is a bytecode/interpreted language very similar to C# in concept. Although it's very used in the business world mostly for the big companies behind it and it's "certified developers" it's not a very good language in many aspects, and it's generally considered slow.

On the other hand Unity is a game engine, written on C++ like most engines out there.

If you really want to get into game development C++ is the way to go, specially if you want to do techy savy stuff.

As for Minecraft not behind graphics intensive... what makes you think that? Minecraft IS enormously graphics intensive. Of course it could probably perform better since just from the notion of it being programmed in Java by a single guy with no background I'm assuming it doesn't have much of a graphics engine behind, but still, Minecraft IS graphics intensive. Video cards these days are all about optimizing the fill rate and the PS stages, Minecraft uses none of that, instead it throws tons of triangles in separate draw calls at the video card, and it chokes.

Tata
Thanks! This was very helpful.
eXoDuS
Administrator

Post by eXoDuS »

Oh sorry something I thought of mentioning and forgot, specially since I've read some anti-c/c++ ramblings. *Knowing* C++ is never a bad thing, sure, C# is much easier to use and better designed in many aspects, but again, knowing C++, and specially knowing it really well, is always a plus, it will teach you things no other language will. It just makes you a better programmer. So what im saying, even if you end using a higher level language in the end for speed, time constraints, design, whatever, it's never the wrong decision to spend time learning C++, even if you never ever use it afterwards.

I think that's the wisest advice I can give :)
Newah

Post by Newah »

Thanks for the advice eXoDuS. I myself am trying to figure out which language to devote my time to. I'm tied between C++ and C#. Or should I learn both, and if so in what order?
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

It depends on what you want. C# will give faster results, while C++ will give faster peformance.