The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

How Was Moderating Atmosphir?

General discussion about Atmosphir.
Orion14ed

Post by Orion14ed »

Personally, being apart of the AES was a blast.

I did not get much criticism, because as soon as I was added, the game crashed within a few months, but in my short time, it was great. I found out I was selected when Entity and Terry congratulated me in chat. That place was a second home to me, I felt as close to anyone there as I did in real life. I was surprised at the support I received, and was happy to continue. Amazing and I made the User of the Year, (sorta a joke now... but was fun at the time.) and just enjoyed the community. I was not in a high enough position to attempt to help the game. I just sat back, and watched it crumble. Luckily enough, I found my way here.
nonic5

Post by nonic5 »

I wanted to be a moderator so badly. xD

Honestly though, I am somewhat glad the game died. Don't get me wrong, I would do anything to get the game back, and the memories of Atmosphir are more fond to me then my time I have ever had with my friends, but there is something about that game disappearing that changed me.

After the game disappeared, I slowly went into a depression. I didn't realize, but Atmosphir was my only social outlet, and it wasn't necessarily a good one. I realized how much of a well, real jerk I was to everyone around me. I can remember not to long after Atmosphir, me skipping a class in school and saying to myself, "I wish I could just tell everyone I'm sorry..." I know I have been a overconfident, annoying little brat in the past, but now I learned a few things. First, I learned not to ever let my life revolve around one thing. Secondly, that things can't be repeated. I have now learned to well, live for the moment. Any difficulties I have will pass, and I should embrace the moment. So, I hope that Atmosphir comes back, but I really am glad for this experience.

The main reason I wanted to be a moderator is because I wanted to let some unseen potential come out in people. I remember applying for the "LOTD Community Review" TWICE with the level "All for a Popsicle" by Skyshark. Neither times did it get accepted, but at least I tried. I would be able to handle harassment, and I had more then enough time to manage, so being a Mod wouldn't be a problem, but I wasn't mature enough to manage moderation powers.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

nonic5 wrote:I wanted to be a moderator so badly. xD

Honestly though, I am somewhat glad the game died. Don't get me wrong, I would do anything to get the game back, and the memories of Atmosphir are more fond to me then my time I have ever had with my friends, but there is something about that game disappearing that changed me...
I can definitely agree with you on that. I am glad that I was never chosen as the reasoning skills and attentiveness that proper moderation requires are attributes and requirements that I am still not use to. I don't remember being overly rude to anyone on Atmosphir, however if I have I do apologize.

I can only imagine how hectic it would have been to moderate the Atmosphir forums, I am truly grateful for all of the contribution that every user gave. I do my best to take ever opportunity to pay them back for the time and laughs they gave to me :)
Gtarmetro

Post by Gtarmetro »

ElectroYoshi wrote:Indeed it is. It's very strange how you can develop such a strong sense of recognition and respect towards someone you've never even technically met. It definitely can happen, there is no question about that, but out of every online community I've ever been part of, this community was the only one where it happened with almost every single member. I'm never gonna find a community this great again, that's for sure.

As for my opinion given the actual topic of this thread (maybe I should've said this in my first post, but whatever), you all had some...interesting experiences as mods. Can't say that really surprises me. It's hard for me to imagine that it would've been an easy job during Atmosphir's decline. I'd like to give you all a huge "Kudos" for thy efforts. :3
I'm going to get emotional. I've only been on these forums for a day and I've seen people I remember from years ago that I met for brief periods of time. Maybe we met in a Atmos CTF match, or maybe we competed during a level competition. I love you guys very dearly, just remember that of all things. Why? Because you guys were a community that I always could come back to, no matter how bad my real life had gotten. You guys were here in my time of need, and I'm very thankful for that.
Backing Keyboardist, Rhythm Guitar, and Harmony for Zach Seabaugh Band
Private Contractor @ Concert Music in Murfreesboro, TN
Desk Assistant @ MTSU
//Just trying to make a living doing what I love
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ThatOneFox »

Gtarmetro wrote:I'm going to get emotional. I've only been on these forums for a day and I've seen people I remember from years ago that I met for brief periods of time. Maybe we met in a Atmos CTF match, or maybe we competed during a level competition. I love you guys very dearly, just remember that of all things. Why? Because you guys were a community that I always could come back to, no matter how bad my real life had gotten. You guys were here in my time of need, and I'm very thankful for that.
I'm pretty sure I remember your username :P
My IGN was thecheatlord999
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Gtarmetro

Post by Gtarmetro »

StreetLights wrote:I'm pretty sure I remember your username :P
My IGN was thecheatlord999
I remember you from a couple of your levels. Didn't you compete against me in that multiplayer level competition hosted by ZeroSwordsMaster?
Desk Assistant @ MTSU
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

I think so, yeah.
Gtarmetro

Post by Gtarmetro »

Man, how I miss ZeroSwordsMaster, LittleDude, and BubbleBust...
Desk Assistant @ MTSU
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Ikr ;_;
If you want you can add meh on skype. Teh skype name is joswailes
AtmoMario

Post by AtmoMario »

I never had a really stable job in the community. Sure I got to decide if levels should give XP or not, but that was it. Actually seeing the ES section of the forums and not really being a part of it was kind of depressing, especially since I could see that nothing was happening. Besides, I was tasked with playing the game and making decisions about it when it was at its worst. The site rollback at the very end of Atmosphir's lifespan caused me to loose my rank, which should be an indication of how bad things were when I started.

Basically, I just used my power to give my own levels XP-granting power for the XP that it gave me to have my levels give XP, then make them not give any, and just repeat over and over again for infinite XP because there were no good levels anymore.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

AtmoMario wrote:Basically, I just used my power to give my own levels XP-granting power for the XP that it gave me to have my levels give XP, then make them not give any, and just repeat over and over again for infinite XP because there were no good levels anymore.
Really? I never knew that. I do remember the massive drop in quality of levels towards the end - which was likely a mixture of a drop in enthusiasm and the bugs which contributed to that drop in enthusiasm. However, now that we have reached this point - I feel like I am recovering. Even if we don't have fast release schedules as we did prior to the conclusion, I am happy with the things I am tinkering with. It hits a point of nostalgia, which isn't quite a cheesy as it sounds...