The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Favorite Console?

Everything video game related
Soccerstar

Favorite Console?

Post by Soccerstar »

I have been a Nintendo fan all my life; I have a Gameboy, Gamecube, and Wii, and my sister has a DS lite. We are a Nintendo family. However, due to the decreasing popularity of their consoles and their lack of modernization, I've decided that as much as I would like a new console, home systems or otherwise, for this next one, as I am increasingly falling behind in the video game world and have been unable to salvage new games for Gameboy/Gamecube (and my sister will not let me lay a finger on her DS), it cannot be Nintendo. Now that the eighth generation has arrived, a plethora of new consoles are being released: Nintendo's Wii U, Sony's PlayStation 4, Microsoft's Xbox 720, and the OUYA. There are many choices; however, this list was probably unnecessary, as you are all aware. I am a fan of great graphics as much as the next guy, but since, if I do purchase a console, it will be my money, I don't really feel like paying the high prices that come with new generation consoles.

Which brings me to my next question. From the entire community, I am positive there are many of each console owned: every PlayStation, every Xbox, possibly even as far back as an SNES or --dare I say it -- Atari. So I would like to know: what is your favorite console, one that you would recommend out of every console there ever existed...maybe from the fifth generation onward.

So go at it. Favorite console and why. Now. I command you, civilians!
(sorry for my long unnecessary lecture)
That will be all.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

This shows how much of a Nintendo fan I am, but, my Wii.

It's graphical capabilities downright suck compared to competing 7th generation consoles, there's no way around it... but I've consistently played it for six years now, and I've used it to experience so many amazing games... Skyward Sword, Xenoblade, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Smash Brothers Brawl, Both Mario Galaxies, Metroid Prime 3, Sin and Punishment, Rhythm Heaven... best birthday present I ever received, by a long shot.
freekboy31

Post by freekboy31 »

PC, you can even emulate Wii games there.
:crate: :atmobot: coming soon..... :sentrybot:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :monkeyblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:

SirWrek
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by SirWrek »

freekboy31 wrote:PC, you can even emulate Wii games there.
I'd say PC too, but technically it's not a console...so...

I'm going to instead have to go with the Nintendo 64 Entertainment System. It has some of the best series starting games to date, and it to thank for the continuing production of series' such as Zelda and Mario. It rocks and rocked.

Now, for current gen, I'm gonna have to settle with a tie...but I won't spoil my choices for now...
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

My Wii. By far. I've had it since I was in the fourth grade. I'm in the ninth grade now, and I STILL play it on basically a daily basis, just because without it, there would be so many amazing gaming experiences I never got a chance to have. I'll admit the graphics could be a little better, but that's a pretty darn small price to pay, frankly...
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Skyshark

Post by Skyshark »

Playstation 2, with the Gamecube coming in a close second. They had huge game libraries and were in a magical time where people were really stretching what they could do with games without resorting to motion controls or social media BS.
Wazi

Post by Wazi »

I don't know, they're all good consoles. But if I had to choose, it would be the XBOX 360.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

N64 FTW.
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
boss

Post by boss »

Skyshark wrote:Playstation 2, with the Gamecube coming in a close second. They had huge game libraries and were in a magical time where people were really stretching what they could do with games without resorting to motion controls or social media BS.
Exactly this. Ps2's library is unbelievable and fresh. I've had a Wii for a long time but there aren't a whole lot of games for it that I enjoyed in the same way I enjoyed the vast collection of games on ps2 and gc. gen6 ftw

also xbox360 probably comes in at 3rd in terms of home consoles. I never really got into that either, but I know if I would have I would have loved it.
Newah

Post by Newah »

I have to say, the Gamecube was my favorite of all time. Amazing games like Super Mario Sunshine Mario Kart Double Dash. The loading times were amazing, the graphics were actually some of the best of its generation, and the controller was absolutely amazing. And it was mostly portable!
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Miniike wrote:N64 FTW.
You know, I may have to agree with that. However, I can kind of tell my choice is near entirely based on nostalgia.. bless it's heart.
thelegendary

Post by thelegendary »

Playstation 2 because most of my childhood was spent on there. And there were some SNES classics that made it on the ps2 such as the Megaman X collection.
Magmar

Post by Magmar »

These days it really is my Xbox 360. I play on that thing on a daily basis, usually for several hours if I can. The graphical quality of the games is very pleasing, the setup with Live is fantastic. The $40 price tag for a year's membership is totally worth it--I've not once had an issue with the setup other than the expected bit of lag. My favorite games are all on there, Skyrim, NBA 2K, Forza.. my hands feel like the right size on this controller, rather than feeling too large to comfortably use the different mechanisms. To me, it's pretty much the perfect console for entertainment. I don't use the TV and Movie stuff at all, but from the looks of it, if you wanted to watch some shows on the Xbox, it's amazing.
Thunder7102

Post by Thunder7102 »

PC. Better controls, more freedom, no need to update technologies constantly.
Queen of turtles, wielder of magics, and procrastinator of all things somewhat challenging.
Soccerstar

Post by Soccerstar »

Interesting, answers are all over the place. I'm adding a poll...it's easier to keep track.

Edit: or maybe not...is there an option? :P
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Soccerstar wrote: Edit: or maybe not...is there an option? :P
I don't think so. :/
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Semesto

Post by Semesto »

Gamecube! <3
EyceKubes

Post by EyceKubes »

I would have to say PC. If you have a good powerhouse, which I will have within the next few months (By the end of the school year I hope!), then almost any game can be played with hi-res graphics and while still keeping frames above 30. Even though I grew up with the PlayStation, I don't think there is anything out there that can beat a good PC.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

I really don't think the PC is a console. And I'm not saying that to be pedantic, I'm saying that because using a "PC" just doesn't mean anything.

A $700 custom-built rig will fare very differently than a $250 netbook, which will both fare differently than the $10,000 machine able to play Crysis 3 on max settings. It all depends.
Skyshark

Post by Skyshark »

Wowfunhappy wrote:I really don't think the PC is a console. And I'm not saying that to be pedantic, I'm saying that because using a "PC" just doesn't mean anything.

A $700 custom-built rig will fare very differently than a $250 netbook, which will both fare differently than the $10,000 machine able to play Crysis 3 on max settings. It all depends.
Agreed, and there's also the fact that, unlike consoles, PCs aren't restricted to a specific time-frame in which it was released. Someone could be playing on a computer from 2001 and someone else could have a top-of-the-line custom built system and both would be playing PCs.